PDA

View Full Version : Garand

yoter
August 19, 2012, 10:07 AM
Hi everyone. This is a rather generic question. I am very seriously considering adding an M-1 Garand to my collection. First - where would you recommend getting one from? If I order from CMP, which grade do you recommend? Secondly - is there anything I need to be aware of when ordering or buying? And, lastly - how satisfying is the "ping" when the clip is ejected?

I am not made of money, I am a history teacher...so my limit is under "a grand", and I have never fired a Garand before. Any advice or guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone!

plouffedaddy
August 19, 2012, 10:41 AM
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l178/tiffani33/Guns/IMAG1217.jpg
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l178/tiffani33/Guns/IMAG1219.jpg

Springfield service grade above from CMP. Just to give you an idea of how they show up...

THORN74
August 19, 2012, 10:48 AM
i just recently got a M1 garand from CMP (june) ... i picked a service grade with no special requests. What i got was a 1942 Springfield Armory with a 6 digit serial #. i love it!!!! i purchased 200 rounds at the same time. I reload so i likely wont order more ammo, but cmp had the cheapest 30-06 i have seen, so stock up on that too.

http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/s372/THORN74/20120605_162434.jpg

Fishbed77
August 19, 2012, 04:12 PM
There's no better value than a CMP Service Grade Garand. Here is my 1944 Service Grade Springfield Armory rifle (with a like-new 1954 Springfield barrel) that I received in June from the CMP.

http://i1235.photobucket.com/albums/ff427/Fishbed77/DSC_0128.jpg

http://i1235.photobucket.com/albums/ff427/Fishbed77/DSC_0120-1.jpg

http://i1235.photobucket.com/albums/ff427/Fishbed77/DSC_0122.jpg

http://i1235.photobucket.com/albums/ff427/Fishbed77/DSC_0125.jpg

http://i1235.photobucket.com/albums/ff427/Fishbed77/DSC_0050.jpg

Mac Sidewinder
August 19, 2012, 05:47 PM
I have also been thinking of getting a Garand from the CMP. All these are Service Grade? There are 2 different prices for Service Grade: $625 and $950. Are all these pictured here the $950 model (since the wood looks so good in each picture)? Also from a collectors viewpoint, is there a preference on either the Springfield or HRA models?

Mac

plouffedaddy
August 19, 2012, 08:21 PM
Mine is the $625 model.

RT
August 19, 2012, 08:41 PM
Don't buy from anywhere except CMP. Just decide which suits you most and buy that grade. CMP has good prices on ammo too.
Do it!
Do it!
http://i339.photobucket.com/albums/n443/thorm001/Guns/IMG_0008.jpg

THORN74
August 19, 2012, 08:48 PM
I have also been thinking of getting a Garand from the CMP. All these are Service Grade? There are 2 different prices for Service Grade: $625 and $950. Are all these pictured here the $950 model (since the wood looks so good in each picture)? Also from a collectors viewpoint, is there a preference on either the Springfield or HRA models?

Mac

The $950 model is a special with new stock. mine was a std service grade. 1942 rifle rebuilt at RRAD in 1966. shoots great so far. not gonna touch a thing as far as making it "correct"

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2

marine6680
August 19, 2012, 10:20 PM
This makes me miss my M1 carbine... My grandfather got it from the CMP back in the 50s I think. He put maybe 2 boxes of ammo through it.

It looked like it was fresh off the factory assembly line... you would have sworn it was a new manufacture. Benefits of getting in on the CMP early.

It was stolen along with an old Winchester lever action with polygonal barrel that was older than my mother, and I was the first person to pull the trigger on a live round.

Man... I was ******... I think it was my ex Brother in Law, but can't/couldn't prove it.

Fishbed77
August 19, 2012, 10:29 PM

Mac Sidewinder,

The Garand I've shown above is a $625 Service Grade, not the more expensive Service Grade Special. Service Grades occasionally come with new wood - often birch, but sometimes black walnut. Mine came with the walnut.

Mac Sidewinder
August 19, 2012, 11:06 PM
Don't mean to hyjack the thread but thanks for all the responses. All these Garands look so good that I figured they must all be the higher priced service grade models. The CMP certainly does good work to make them so nice. I'm going to have to order one soon!

Mac

chris in va
August 19, 2012, 11:32 PM
I was set to get a Service grade on my trip to the North Store but a dealer cleaned them out within an hour of opening. I had a look around and discovered the Field grades are actually quite decent, gaging at 1.5 at both ends. The wood has 'character' which I prefer. Mine was $495 two years ago.

Fishbed77
August 20, 2012, 08:19 AM
Also from a collectors viewpoint, is there a preference on either the Springfield or HRA models?

Hard to say.

The thing you have to keep in mind is that most of the Service Grade rifles have been through an arsenal process at some point in their life, and may have a mix of parts from different manufacturers and different time periods (though I lucked out with my SG rifle and all parts, save the new CMP stock, were Springfield, but from different time periods). What this means is that you'll get a great-shooting rifle in excellent mechanical condition, but it will not be 100% "correct."

Some folks prefer the Springfield Armory rifles because there is a possibility of receiving a receiver with a WWII serial number (all H&R rifles are post-war). Be sure to add a sticky note asking for a WWII serial to improve your chances. I also found that a small donation to the CMP with your order doesn't hurt either. I did these things and ended up with a 1944 serial via mail order.

Others prefer the H&R rifles because they were produced in fewer numbers than the Springfield Armory Garands. Also, the H&R rifles (being of generally later production) tend to incorporate many of the subtle product improvements that were incorporated during the Garand's production history. Likewise, there is the chance of receiving a rifle that is in truly excellent condition, since there is a chance it could have been used for only a very short time before being put into storage.

yoter
August 20, 2012, 08:49 AM
The service grade rifles are better than I thought. Thanks everyone for the replies...looks like I'm going to be ordering one soon!

bimmer*tr
August 20, 2012, 03:28 PM
What great looking M-1's!! There is nothing quite like that ping when the clip ejects...draws everyone's attention at the range and puts a smile on their faces.

Bimmer

chris in va
August 20, 2012, 06:17 PM
I forgot to add...

If you get a Garand, I believe it a 'duty' of sorts to introduce it to the younger generation. It's a piece of history from our finest hour and I always ask parents next to me at the range would like to have their older kids put a clip through it, especially if i see them eyeballing the rifle as I shoot it.

The look on their faces speaks volumes. PING...grin.

velocette
August 20, 2012, 08:13 PM
I got my Garand (proper pronounciation is Gareund) from the DCM in 1990. I paid $185.00 for it delivered to my local post office. All Springfield including its original '43 barrel. Stock had seen a few GI marches, muzzle was a 2.
Shot good then, shoots good now. Generally a 3 moa rifle with decent ammo, maybe better with match ammo. Still better than my eyes.
That's a slip on recoil pad which helps with the recoil a bit, but mostly adds a bit of length to the stock for me.
Money well spent or actually invested. It's one of two firearms my (reformed) Marine son insists upon inheriting when I go to the great shooting range.

Roger

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p235/RogerS_photo/Fire%20arms%202010/firearms41410037-1.jpg

Achilles11B
August 20, 2012, 11:42 PM
This member of the younger(ish) generation loves his Garand. It's highly satisfying to clean, disassemble, reassemble and fire a piece of real American history. The 'ping' is highly, highly satisfying.

In short: buy one.

Fishbed77
August 21, 2012, 09:48 AM
The 'ping' is highly, highly satisfying.

Shooting a Garand in general is highly satifying. It's just a fun gun to shoot, any way you look at it.

The cartridge is big, but recoil is soft, and while it's a heavy gun, it's still well-balanced and has a decent trigger as well.

akguy1985
August 22, 2012, 03:41 AM
CMP service grade as others have said. And, the ping, love that sound.

hodaka
August 22, 2012, 06:23 AM
My service grade came with a new birch (?) stock. I wanted walnut and Boyd's fixed me right up for a little over $100. Looks great, shoots great. It has become one of my favorite rifles.

Ignition Override
August 25, 2012, 03:08 AM
My Service Grade was selected, and bought by a marksman (former Navy Rifle Team) at Camp Perry, and later sold to me.

The wood is a bit dinged and dark, but it doesn't matter. The bore might be unusual, as it looks like it is chrome-lined, and the other metal components are excellent. The dark wood does not affect how it shoots, which makes me look very skilled;).

The superb photos you guys posted increase my motivation to buy a second Garand, which will also be a Service Grade.
A very interesting tour of the Bastogne fox holes (E and F companies) and other battle locations with a very knowledgeable personal
Flemish guide (Reg Jans.com) in '09 lit my 'Garand spark'.

Fishbed77
August 25, 2012, 08:05 PM
The bore might be unusual, as it looks like it is chrome-lined, and the other metal components are excellent. .

The chambers of USGI Garand barrels are typically "in the white." I think that is probably what you are seeing. For example, look at plouffedaddy's photo above.

ltcboy
August 28, 2012, 08:27 AM
If you live anywhere near Camp Perry, Ohio or Anniston, Al, you should take the trip to pick out your own. The experience is something you will never forget. Sorta like adopting a pet, except this pet will outlive you, your kids and your great grandkids if you take care of her properly.