PDA

View Full Version : DPMS ar-15 fixed sights question....

Broony
August 18, 2012, 05:32 PM
So im confused...

I'm looking at this DPMS gun
http://www.dpmsinc.com/PANTHER-CARBINE-16_ep_108-1.html

now it has the carrying handle with 'fixed sights' so its not removeable.

Then i look at this video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pglmkUspHTc&feature=related

and at 1:57 you can see that the whole handle came off

so does that mean that i can unscrew the handle part like in that video for the gun from the dpms website?

Reason is i want to put optics on the gun when i get it. If the handle cannont be removed, then i will have to get a different railguard so that i can then put optics on top.

Quentin2
August 18, 2012, 05:44 PM
Your top link is for an A2 model which means the carry handle cannot be removed. A3 or A4 models have a top rail for removable sights, etc.

Actually A3 should be the same as A2 like the military M16A3 but for commercial rifles this is different.

Broony
August 18, 2012, 06:18 PM
Man im having no problems finding A2's for sale,,,but damn ALL A3 and A4s are ALL out of stock...im ordering through my local ACE and NOTHING is in stock, both for DPMS and Colt >.<

Its hard to have patiences!

Broony
August 18, 2012, 06:46 PM
if i can't get the gun from either DPMS or Colt within a month i guess im going to have ot build it...but ive never built a gun before.

I would imagine it would be easier to get parts than ordering a whole gun retail.

en-frame
August 18, 2012, 07:17 PM
I hear you, Bro'. Getting AR stuff these days can be a PITA. Everybody's buying. I've been waiting since February for the PWS upper I ordered to come in to my local FunStore. :rolleyes:

Hang in there.

Quentin2
August 18, 2012, 08:53 PM
A couple months ago I put together an AR using a complete BCM upper on a stripped lower I got locally and built up. Last time I checked BCM still has uppers in stock. You can't beat the quality.

Getting stripped lowers can be the problem lately. Don't forget to see what's available locally.

Basement-Gunsmith-Z
August 19, 2012, 10:08 AM
I recommend that you build it even if you can get a complete gun. There's no better way to learn about your rifle. Just search on youtube "How to build an ar15" you should find several good results. It really isn't that hard.

Broony
August 19, 2012, 09:43 PM
Question about DPMS

So looking at their site it says my gu will take 6-8months.

Ive been searching around and it seems DPMS wait period is one of the worst among other companies...Some people on the net were saying when they worked at a store, it alway stook dpms the longest to show.

Does anyone else have anything to say on this matter?

Now im reading saying to buy stag, because they are great guns and will not take nearly the length.

BPowderkeg
August 19, 2012, 10:27 PM
where do you live ? google gun shows for your area, go to one near you, go to one, look, handle, and ask questions, be aware of prices beforehand for the different brands, and models, some dealers jack up the price then let you haggle over price. every gun show i have been to lately have about 1/4th the inventory in AR-15 style guns. if your local news paper allows guns in the classified check the adds, people who have lost their job are selling off their guns to feed the kids. look around, i would bet you could fulfill your need in a few days.., CAUTION ! take a friend along if answering a NP ad, request the person meet you at a specified location, be picky, have cash, NEVER pay by check.

good luck !