PDA

View Full Version : First semi-auto Suggestions

spearman
August 18, 2012, 03:32 PM
Saw these on special at buds.which one and why? Or what to you suggest in teunder $700 price range?

meanmachine1961
August 18, 2012, 03:43 PM
S&W M&P Sport. Recently bought one and I love it.

Microgunner
August 18, 2012, 04:07 PM
I'll take an AR over an AK every time.

Just the way I see it even though I own both.

FrosSsT
August 18, 2012, 04:09 PM
Id probably get the AR for my first semi auto rifle. Bushmaster makes a fine rifle by the way.

Cshooter
August 18, 2012, 04:14 PM
If money is not an object, I would go AR. However money was an object for me, so I bought an AK. For what I paid for the AK, I could have bought 2 more and had 3 for the same price as 1 AR.

plouffedaddy
August 18, 2012, 05:02 PM
I voted AK. The M10 wouldn't be my 1st choice but the AK is a fine first semi auto. Easy to maintain and more accurate than most new shooters. The advantage of the M10 is that you can just slap a light on it and have a fine HD rifle.

PoorRichRichard
August 18, 2012, 05:14 PM
Are u new to shooting? If so, start with a .22 semi auto like a marlin 795 or a Ruger 10/22.

Nathan
August 18, 2012, 05:16 PM
AR if you like to hit where you aim!

lylemsharp
August 18, 2012, 11:03 PM
For a new semi-auto rifle, the Remington 750 in a variety of calibers is a good cost conscious option under $700. If used will do for you and price is important, buy an SKS for $200-$300. For about $500 total investment, you can turn an SKS into a near AK that shoots more accurately and can take more of a beating. I just put 240 rounds through one I cobbled together a few weeks ago and am very happy with the results. It is no AR, but you can put a huge magazine or drum on it and send 7.62x39mm down range until your muzzle glows. While an AR would be much lighter and more comfortable to shoot, it also would probably fail or jam at least once before you put that many rounds through it.

Fishbed77
August 20, 2012, 08:27 AM
For a rifle in the $700 price range, I'd be looking at an AR build from Palmetto State Armory, instead of the Bushmaster. Just my 2 cents.

plouffedaddy
August 20, 2012, 12:12 PM
For a rifle in the $700 price range, I'd be looking at an AR build from Palmetto State Armory, instead of the Bushmaster. Just my 2 cents.

It think that would be a lot of peoples' (including mine) 2 cents.

Big Shrek
August 20, 2012, 12:34 PM
Neither, get a Browning BAR!!

Mayor Al
August 20, 2012, 12:37 PM
You can find Winchester Model 100's in the under $700 price quite often. That is a fine hunting rifle. I have two, a rifle and a carbine, both in.308 caliber, and find them to be outstanding guns for hogs and deer.

I also have a Ruger Mini-30 in 7.62x39mm It also is a good Hog Gun and with a bigger mag (10 or 20 rounds) you can stay out later without reloading.

Closest thing to an AK in my inventory is a tweaked up Saiga 12 Gauge and I have no AR's in the rack at this time.

Pilot
August 20, 2012, 12:38 PM
I would go AR, and I own two AK-74 variants, here's why.

1. More accurate
2. Ease of magazine changes
3. Modular contruction, easy to change stocks, sights, uppers, etc.
4. Easier to mount optics
5. 5.56 brass is less expensive, and more plentiful if you want to reload for it

Quentin2
August 20, 2012, 02:39 PM
I agree the AR is the way to go but I'd look at other choices than the C-15.

Justice06RR
August 20, 2012, 09:58 PM
^ I agree with Quentin. Bushmaster's are great, but i'm a bit weary on the CAR models, or any polymer AR lower for that matter. For light casual use they're ok, but anything serious you'd want a standard non-polymer lower.

For a new semi-auto rifle, the Remington 750 in a variety of calibers is a good cost conscious option under $700. If used will do for you and price is important, buy an SKS for $200-$300. For about $500 total investment, you can turn an SKS into a near AK that shoots more accurately and can take more of a beating. I just put 240 rounds through one I cobbled together a few weeks ago and am very happy with the results. It is no AR, but you can put a huge magazine or drum on it and send 7.62x39mm down range until your muzzle glows. While an AR would be much lighter and more comfortable to shoot, it also would probably fail or jam at least once before you put that many rounds through it.

Not always, depends on the AR. There are many AR15's out there that will shoot hundreds of rounds reliably just like an AK.

chris in va
August 21, 2012, 09:54 PM
I built an AK variant...much prefer my Sport. I do miss the solid hit the x39 offers though.

akguy1985
August 22, 2012, 03:32 AM
My first semi auto rifle was a chinese sks, second was a romy AK. So i'd go with the AK.

chris in va
August 22, 2012, 09:00 PM
Oh by the way, for your price range why not get a Garand from the CMP?

MyWifeIsAGlock27
August 22, 2012, 09:33 PM
my first SEMI AUTO rifle is the mossberg 715T i just picked up a few weeks ago. i would love a real AR but i shoot ALOT so the .22 is a ton cheaper. and despite all the bad things i have read about the 715T after i impulse bought it before any research, mine has been flawless past 1000 rounds so far

Ignition Override
August 24, 2012, 01:01 AM
chris in va:
Excellent question, if the OP is open to an actual Battle Rifle.
He can join the GCA for about $25 to qualify for a CMP rifle, if necessary.

Fishbed77
August 24, 2012, 08:26 AM
Oh by the way, for your price range why not get a Garand from the CMP?

That's an excellent suggestion.

shaunpain
August 24, 2012, 11:53 AM
I think you really have to consider a bunch of different things. I wouldn't pay that much for ANY AK-type rifle seeing as that there were 1 made for every 70 people on this planet. I also don't know what the going rate on a solid AR would be, but it sounds like a finnicky eater if that's the kind of specimen you're stuck with. As far as cost-effectiveness goes, you really can't go wrong with any rifle that will digest steel cases without any failures. An SKS is perfect for this. You'll be paying $0.30/round for steel cased, non-reloadable ammo. I don't get to shoot my rifles that much, so that's a perfect price for me.

customaquatics
August 24, 2012, 02:43 PM
ya man Palmetto!!!! i do love the Stag Arms too.

Ignition Override
August 30, 2012, 12:15 AM
^^ chris in va has a very good idea.
If the classic US Battle Rifle or the M2 Ball ammo prices are not for you, then are the AK clones assembled by Century Arms?
Maybe you are familiar with possible issues.

Apparently an SKS is excluded from your consideration.

Are you a bit familiar with the Czech Vz-58? They are milled, have the bho feature, and seem to be a good bit more popular with most owners who also own AK clones.