PDA

View Full Version : Same price uppers: Spikes chf vs. BCM standard

ViennaGambit
August 17, 2012, 02:00 PM
Budget is $650.

With Spikes Tactical one gets a 16" middy upper with FN cold hammer forged barrel, nickle boron bolt carrier group and moe handguards for $630.

With Bravo Company one gets a 16" middy with standard barrel, standard BCM bcg, and moe handguards for $650.

Is Bravo Company worth the premium even though one does not get a hammer forged barrel and no NiBo bcg?

Which would you choose? Why?

thesheepdog
August 17, 2012, 02:29 PM
Spikes are top notch. They have really amped up their technology and quality over the years.

RT
August 17, 2012, 04:46 PM
I don't like the phallic Spikes logo, but between those 2 I'd get the upper with the FN CHF barrel

Technosavant
August 17, 2012, 04:52 PM
Either would be a good choice, but between those I'd be likely to lean towards the Spikes.

thesheepdog
August 17, 2012, 05:00 PM
Spikes uses melonite on a lot of their materials now, which is way better than what BCM offer, for less $$ too.
BCM Ion Bond is good, but nothing compared to melonite.

They are also making nice AGB's and Suppressors.

Quentin2
August 17, 2012, 06:54 PM
A few months ago I bought a BCM upper without the hammer forged barrel. A year before I bought a Daniel Defense upper with hammer forged. Otherwise they both are 16" lightweight profile midlengths. Both are configured the same down to the same optic. Honestly I can't tell any difference in performance or accuracy. CHF barrels have a reputation for lasting longer and being more accurate but you'd have to get over 10,000 rounds to see a difference in longevity.

I also don't see any advantage to Spikes' NiB BCG coating. But I do believe BCM puts out a more consistently reliable and higher quality rifle than Spikes. So I voted BCM (with my wallet in fact).

BillyJack3
August 18, 2012, 08:46 AM
Of the two options, I would choose Spike's. Actually, I did choose Spike's. However, I got the 14.5 middie FN CHF with pinned Dynacomp brake. It's simply full of win and Spike's quality and innovation is top notch. Just check out their new ST Compressor SBR!

My middie...

http://i1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh490/billyjack2011/AR/IMG_0124.jpg

TacticalDefense1911
August 18, 2012, 09:44 AM
I would always choose a BCM upper over a Spikes tactical upper. Spikes makes a pretty decent product but BCM is known to be top notch. BCM is the choice of many, many professionals for serious use. As far as the chf barrel, you will not see the benefits of it unless you put ALOT of rounds down range. If you are planning on putting tens of thousands of rounds down range with this gun the once again I would go with the BCM. Lots of these guns with very high round counts and they hold up quite well.

Quentin2
August 18, 2012, 02:00 PM
Well since we're dropping in pictures now... :D

Here's the non-hammer forged BCM upper on a Valkyrie lower. Baseball cap and two excellent DVDs come with the BCM.

http://i829.photobucket.com/albums/zz211/Quentin68/DSCN1536.jpg

And if you need a good build thread... (warning if you open it I bet you'll watch it!) :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcYoYLAOnNQ

pturner67
August 18, 2012, 05:29 PM
quentin, I didn't see anything gun-related in that video :D

Quentin2
August 18, 2012, 05:34 PM
Yeah, you have to look close. :D

pturner67
August 18, 2012, 05:44 PM
I'm a big fan of Spikes. Thousands of rounds and zero failures.

http://i1049.photobucket.com/albums/s398/novaleadfoot/Guns/IMAG0061.jpg

sailskidrive
August 18, 2012, 06:05 PM
I would also go with Spikes. Their FN manufacturered barrels, NiB carriers, and complementary H2 buffer make them a better value.

There isn't anything bad about a BCM, the two are pretty much fungible. I just feel Spikes is a better value.

Spikes BAR upper...

http://i669.photobucket.com/albums/vv54/sailskidrive/AR15/aa5e0321.jpg

ViennaGambit
August 19, 2012, 02:18 PM
Thanks guys - looks like one cannot really go wrong with either.

Skadoosh
August 19, 2012, 03:53 PM
Go with the Spikes and dont look back. A much better rifle.

Fishbed77
August 19, 2012, 04:04 PM
Well, since we are posting photos of our Spikes, here is my Spikes M4LE with a 9" BAR rail (on a PSA lower).

It's been 100% reliable, and the Spikes ST-T2 buffer makes it one of the softest and smoothest shooting carbines I've ever encountered. It's also surprisingly accurate.

http://i1235.photobucket.com/albums/ff427/Fishbed77/DSC_0935.jpg

RT
August 19, 2012, 04:22 PM
BCM 14.5 Midlength with DD rail and Battlecomp
http://i339.photobucket.com/albums/n443/thorm001/New%20guns/IMG_2948.jpg
Spikes makes good stuff but after someone pointed out the "spider-penis" logo, I can't unsee it.

Fishbed77
August 19, 2012, 10:24 PM
Spikes makes good stuff but after someone pointed out the "spider-penis" logo, I can't unsee it.

Haha - if you see a penis in the Spikes logo, you are trying really hard to see a penis! :D

Just saying...

Justice06RR
August 20, 2012, 04:18 AM
Its really a toss-up as both are great companies. I have heard many good things about Nickel Boron BCG's vs standard BCG's, although I've never owned one.

I voted Spikes because I have 2 of their complete lowers and they are top-notch IMO for a better value. If you just want the added top-tier name brand, then BCM should be fine.

pturner67
August 20, 2012, 08:01 AM
The logo is a spider (for those who are magically seeing a man's privates). LOL

Blackops_2
August 20, 2012, 12:40 PM

Any particular reason? BCM has a highly established reputation of quality, more so than I remember of spikes, not that I heard anything bad about spikes. Nor do I dislike spikes in this case its either of the two. Apparently spikes has really stepped up there game, I'm impressed with the melonite finish. Not sure how it compares to ionbond I own two BCMs and just like every other review I've read mine have been flawless.

They're both reputable manufacturers that produce quality products. I don't see where spikes is the much better rifle. At least give me an explanation or experience that you had supporting your opinion.

RT
August 20, 2012, 01:18 PM
What has been seen cannot be unseen
http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=1227139
GIF near the bottom.

Fishbed77
August 20, 2012, 01:26 PM
They're both reputable manufacturers that produce quality products. I don't see where spikes is the much better rifle. At least give me an explanation or experience that you had supporting your opinion.

I think he was just referring to the fact that, for a little bit lower price, the Spikes upper mentioned in the original post offered a few extras (FN cold hammer-forged barrel, nickle boron bolt carrier group) that the BCM didn't.

In my experience, Spikes quality equals that of BCM, and they back it up with a lifetime warranty. So if the OP wanted those features, sure, he would be better off buying the Spikes upper and saving a little bit of money for ammo.

Blackops_2
August 20, 2012, 01:42 PM
I haven't been shopping for an AR for a while when I was in the market for one spikes didn't have all those features. As I said I'm impressed they've really stepped it up. I can understand that but I got more of the vibe there was something wrong with BCM. Maybe I misunderstood.

TacticalDefense1911
August 20, 2012, 07:11 PM

Proof?

Justice06RR
August 20, 2012, 08:24 PM
^ I think that statement was really an over-exaggeration.

Spikes is great, but definitely not better than BCM. Probably on par and better value dollar-wise, but BCM is a more widely approved top-tier brand.

Skadoosh
August 21, 2012, 10:31 AM
Proof?

That's my personal opinion. Take it for what it's worth. Feel free to disagree.

akguy1985
August 22, 2012, 03:57 AM
I'd go with the BCM.

HKFan9
August 22, 2012, 01:57 PM
I like both.. but I voted BCM with my wallet, and have used their uppers, BCG's and charging handles on my builds.

I am in the middle of a "zombie themed" AR for fun, and just got my 14.5 carbine length standard BCM upper in the mail for it.

BCM is a great company, insanely fast shipping, and you always get free goodies. I have hats.. DVD's... stickers.. patches... posters. Not a deciding factor by any means but to me it shows they care about their service to the customer... and hell I will be a free billboard for them.;)

Spikes I have no personal experience ordering from.. but I have shot a number of rifles with their uppers and powers and parts.. always top notch as well.

IMHO you can't go wrong with either most likely... I voted BCM because of the many positive personal experiences with them.

Fishbed77
August 22, 2012, 04:04 PM
I think the approx 50/50 split in this poll tells you all you need to know.

Both are great companies making a great product. You get a lot for your money with both Spikes and BCM.

DasGuy
August 22, 2012, 07:15 PM
I would chose the Spikes over the BCM any day with those upgraded features for less.

I have a standard Spikes BCG and it is top notch.

I'm sure if Pat Rogers did a filthy 14 with a rifle from Spikes (and a lot of other manufactures for that matter); he'd get the same result as he got from BCM.

And before someone accuses me of being a BCM hater; I have their gunfighter CH and it is an excellent product. I even put the sticker they sent with it on my computer. The only other company that has that honor is Magpul. :D

I also have an FN manufactured CHF barrel (just with someone else's name on it) and it also, not surprisingly, is a well made product. Even Noveske uses FN for their CHF barrels.

Blackops_2
August 22, 2012, 08:03 PM
I don't disagree if spikes has more features for less go with it.