PDA

View Full Version : AR-15 Buffer Spring Elimination

BPowderkeg
August 14, 2012, 11:25 PM
some folks i have heard or read about complaining of the "sproiiiing" in the buffer tube. soooo, i had a thought, rather than a spring why not a sealed tube with a piston with a neoprene seal, similar to a tire pump, when the carrier blows back it will compress the trapped air in the tube, thus the trapped compressed air will return the carrier.

your thoughts ?

Quentin2
August 14, 2012, 11:38 PM
A waste of time. If it ain't broke don't fix it! :D

sigcurious
August 14, 2012, 11:39 PM
Like this (http://olyarms.net/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=48&Itemid=37&vmcchk=1&Itemid=37)?

JeffSSig
August 14, 2012, 11:41 PM
Interesting thought.

Like a small version of a Pneumatic Storm Door Closer except in reverse.

They can be made to drop in with no change to the current buffer tube even?

JeffSSig
August 14, 2012, 11:43 PM
ah someone has thought of it. LOL

bacardisteve
August 14, 2012, 11:44 PM
Your piston idea may work but it would have to calibrated correctly. Too soft and the gun will beat itself up and may not feed. Too hard and it may not extract. On top of that the buffer spring makes a diffrent noise when the mag runs dry and the action locks back indicating a reload is needed. Kinda handy in a stressfull enviroment.

impalacustom
August 15, 2012, 12:46 AM
From the Olympic arms site The AC4 is gas-charged so there will never be messy leaks, common with similar
hydraulic products

I wonder if any of them drive cars or ever worked on cars. Shocks wear out WAY before coil springs, also how many of you used broom handles on the 80's cars with the pneumatic shocks that held hoods up?

Destructo6
August 15, 2012, 05:00 PM
Why not put a dab of grease on the recoil spring to damp the "sproing"?

Works for me.

Dfariswheel
August 15, 2012, 06:17 PM
+2.

A little stiff grease on the spring pretty much eliminates the "SPROONG".

UtopiaTexasG19
August 15, 2012, 06:47 PM
Since I always wear hearing protection I don't hear any sproing! :)

Creeper
August 15, 2012, 07:45 PM
The AC4 referred to by sigcurious does work well and is reliable, but will not work in most collapsible stocks.

I've tried a number of lubricants and greases, but the best permanent, no mess, inexpensive fix I've found so far is a JP polished "extra power" buffer spring. I can confirm that in back to back testing with a standard spring, the JP spring is far quieter, obviously cleaner and does in fact cycle smoother. There is also a claim of faster cycling as well, but I can't confirm that for sure, as I don't have a shot timer.

Go here (http://www.nokick.com/AR_15_AR_10_Parts_s/29.htm) to look at and read about the JP springs, Enidine "hydraulic recoil buffer" and the JP "silent captured" spring.

C

JeffSSig
August 15, 2012, 10:40 PM
Now I like this:
http://www.jprifles.com/1.4.7.2_os.php

Palmetto-Pride
August 16, 2012, 12:24 AM
I predict if that were the original design there would now be a company taunting....

"A new and improved buffer now with all spring technology no more leaking pneumatic seals to worry about leaking".........:)

Fishbed77
August 16, 2012, 01:46 PM
Another option is to use the Spikes ST-T2 buffer along with the standard buffer spring. I've found that it noticeably reduces (but does not completely eliminate) the "sproiiiinnng" sound.

Ridge_Runner_5
August 16, 2012, 11:45 PM
Oil piston systems for the AR have a tendency to explode under repeated use.

Sabre9mm
August 17, 2012, 05:39 PM
Consider this, do you know how a diesel engine works?

As the weapon fired the gas in the chamber of the "gas piston spring" would heat. As that gas was compressed it would release heat, as that heat increased the ratio would increase just like warming a diesel engine.

Eventually this would get excessively hot and probably cause component failure.

Just a theory, however I would bet with a spring the air in the tube is being replaced as the buffer moves, causing some cooling and less stress to the components.

I am no gun smith or authority, purely a point of view of the physics...