PDA

View Full Version : Light placement for my M&P15

SCM.45
August 14, 2012, 06:16 PM
Hey guys I have a S&W M&P 15 and I mounted a Fenix P3D flashlight on the picatinny rail above the ejection port right in front of my aim point site. The light hangs over the right side but does not interfere with the bullets when they eject. Just wondering if this is practical, or not good placement or you have seen something like this before?

I would upload an image but I am having problems with my camera.

plouffedaddy
August 14, 2012, 06:52 PM
How do you activate the light :confused:?

Most people mount them out on the rail so they can be actuated with their support hand.....

Like this for example:http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l178/tiffani33/Guns/IMAG1289.jpg

Palmetto-Pride
August 14, 2012, 06:54 PM
The light hangs over the right side but does not interfere with the bullets when they eject.

Oh goodie I get to be the first to comment on your mix up of calling the spent casings bullets......get ready for people to flame you for the mix up you will probably get some a holes :eek: telling you you shouldn't own a gun if you don't know the difference.......lol

I if the light works where its at then leave it:)

insomni
August 14, 2012, 07:10 PM
maybe I'm imagining this wrong.... but I'd expect that to cast a HUGE shadow and p. much negate half of your beam....

SCM.45
August 14, 2012, 07:54 PM
Actually the beam is not really effected at all. Just tested out the beam out side (dark out right now) throws very well beings how far back it is on the rifle. I am going to attach a rail to my stock guard soon but until then I was just getting forum members thoughts on were the light is right now on a temporary basis. Also plouffedaddy if I were to get flamed because I said bullets instead of spent casings then those people need to get a life. Thanks for the heads up though and not being one of them. The reason I said bullets was because I was manually extracting them to make sure the light did not cause any problems with the extraction process.

Palmetto-Pride
August 14, 2012, 08:14 PM
Also plouffedaddy if I were to get flamed because I said bullets instead of spent casings then those people need to get a life. Thanks for the heads up though and not being one of them. The reason I said bullets was because I was manually extracting them to make sure the light did not cause any problems with the extraction process.

That was me please don't blame plouffedaddy......lol:eek:

I was just being a little facetious before the real flamethrowers lit you up..lol...:eek:

SCM.45
August 14, 2012, 08:26 PM
Damnit why did I type puffdaddy...Sorry Palmetto-Pride I was not blaming him or you, sorry man I am getting a bit tired (long day), screwed up there. I appreciate the heads up lol. I appreciate everyones replies also thank you.

Crow Hunter
August 14, 2012, 08:30 PM
Are you left handed or something?

I don't see how you could activate the light without some weird gyrations, unless you left it on all the time, which is probably worse.

If you don't have a rail you can use this:

https://www.primaryarms.com/Midwest_Industries_Tactical_Light_Mount_p/mctar-01.htm

Which is what I used until I got a DD Omega Rail.

The only reason I changed was the weight. I am a wuss.

I really liked the light setup. It put the light right at 11:00 and directly over my left hand thumb it just weighed too much for my weakling arms.

Technically, I have 3 of them for sale right now along with Vltor scout mounts to hold a 6P sized light. (You can also use scope rings):D

ronl
August 14, 2012, 09:20 PM
If I'm a bad guy hiding with a weapon I really love tactical lights in a dark place. They give you a really good place to aim without revealing your location.

Quentin2
August 15, 2012, 12:05 AM
I would look into other solutions, that sounds awkward and I don't see how it would not cast a shadow.

If you have a FSB the Mossie Midnight Mount is a great solution. Here's a picture of mine with a Streamlight TLR-1s light. And a link to more information:

http://boloreport.com/mossie-midnight-mount-some-other-advantages

http://i829.photobucket.com/albums/zz211/Quentin68/DSCN1575a.jpg

Crow Hunter
August 15, 2012, 06:55 AM
If I'm a bad guy hiding with a weapon I really love tactical lights in a dark place. They give you a really good place to aim without revealing your location.

If a bad guy is hiding in your house you would be a fool to go looking for him without CQB/MOUT training and several buddies in a stack. That is why you take a position and call the police and let them do what they are paid to do.

However, you would be an even bigger fool to have a home defense weapon with no way to identify your target in the dark.

Unless you are a hermit with no friends, no family and shoot all intruders on sight.:(

My high school girlfriends uncle almost killed his daughter one night because she was sneaking in after curfew, if she hadn't grunted while she was getting in the window, he would have shot her. He had the safety off and his finger on the trigger of his shotgun.

Of course he WAS an idiot because that incident made him get rid of ALL his guns rather than just get a flashlight....:rolleyes:

SCM.45
August 15, 2012, 08:17 PM
Thanks for the suggestions Quentin2 and Crow_Hunter. I ordered a polymer 7 slot rail from Magpul, just going to mount the light on towards the front of the foreguard. I do not like a heavy light thats why I have a Fenix P3d. Crow_Hunter, I am a big guy, and a moderate weight lifter and I hate alot of weight on the end of my rifle, don't care who you are you will eventually start to tire from hold the rifle thats why I have so much repect for our boys and girls in the military. Hey ronl I am sure we all have Night Vision equipment to use when looking for a bad guy right? How much are a good pair of night vision goggles or a night vision sight?

Crow Hunter
August 15, 2012, 08:33 PM
I hate alot of weight on the end of my rifle

My sentiments exactly.

I also moved my Aimpoint sight back towards the rear sight AND removed the front sling loop and went to a QD loop right in front of the receiver to help keep the weight down.

I also went to a DD Omega rail and a X300 light so that I could just take the light off when I didn't need it. (Like coyote hunting) and put it back on without having to re-zero.

I am the epitome of lazy. And greedy. And cowardly.

Kind of like a human Daffy Duck.:D

Quentin2
August 16, 2012, 12:00 AM
I also remove my TLR-1s light a lot of the time and clip it on my Glock 23 since it only takes seconds as I bought the Mossie Midnight Mount with the Glock/Universal interface. And I love it that the MMM by itself only weighs about an ounce.

Baylorattorney
August 16, 2012, 01:08 AM
That sounds pretty far back on the gun and would do a good job of illuminating you the shooter for the bad guys. I prefer lights to be as close to the muzzle as possible, just a personal choice but something to consider.

Baylorattorney
August 16, 2012, 01:14 AM
On my mp15 I got the cheap plastic light holder that works as a mount on your front sight
See image below. Activation switches work fine, it's super light weight and hasn't interfered with anything so far. Also works with the stock hand guards mp15s come with.

batmann
August 16, 2012, 04:45 PM
The Mossie Midnight Mount looks like it leaves the light very exposed. I have a Mako mount on my quad rail and it gives more protection for the light plus it is a quick on, quick off.

ronl
August 16, 2012, 10:55 PM
Hey guys, really didn't mean to get your dander up. Just wanted to point out the negative aspect of such things. I do indeed have a light on my HD rifle, just in case, because there are times when it is necessary, but not in every case. Yes, I do have NV gear, but it isn't on any of my HD weapons. All I'm saying is that anything that gives away your position can have very dire consequences.

golfnutrlv
August 17, 2012, 12:02 AM
After trying a couple locations, and a couple mounts, this is the best spot for me.

VTac light mount, Streamlight Polytac LED: Mounted just behind the folding front sight, on the top rail. In this spot, allows quick access, and doesn't interfere with my AFG2.

http://i484.photobucket.com/albums/rr205/golfnutrlv/AR-15/DSC01794.jpg

insomni
August 17, 2012, 08:44 PM
Actually the beam is not really effected at all. Just tested out the beam out side (dark out right now) throws very well beings how far back it is on the rifle.

Before you get really butthurt because someone poked fun at your misspeak about brass.... let's get back to why you posted this: evaluation of your light placement.

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l221/maqataq/shadows.jpg

You'll see the difference when your rail comes in.

Have you ever been blasted in the eyes with a legit Surefire in a dark room? You ain't hitting anything man.

Quentin2
August 18, 2012, 12:19 AM
The Mossie Midnight Mount looks like it leaves the light very exposed. I have a Mako mount on my quad rail and it gives more protection for the light plus it is a quick on, quick off.

Actually in the 12 o'clock position provided by the MMM, which many consider ideal, the light is protected from side and bottom impacts quite well. Impact from those directions, not the top, are more likely.

Again, the light can be removed in seconds if necessary.

theP8riot
August 28, 2012, 12:15 PM
Why does everyone mount their lights above the barrel like that? I can't stand having it in or anywhere near my line of sight like that.

Crow Hunter
August 28, 2012, 12:44 PM
Why does everyone mount their lights above the barrel like that? I can't stand having it in or anywhere near my line of sight like that.

How do you even see it?

Are you shooting with one eye closed or something?

If you are using a red dot, you need to make sure you shoot with both eyes open and focus on the target. It will "ghost out" if you don't close your non-dominant eye.

If you aren't, you should be focussing on the front sight post with a 6:00 hold.

Neither of them should have the light in your visual plane to any degree that should affect your shooting.

Can you describe your problem?

I have mine at 3:00 now and I feel it is a less than optimal position because the shadow from the barrel is way worse than any occlusion from the light body itself. But it does make the front of the rifle significantly lighter, which is what I was most interested in.

theP8riot
August 28, 2012, 05:04 PM
http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p165/thep8riot/IMAG0103.jpg

This is how I like mine.

If I have my rifle aimed at some bad guy from across the room type distance, and the light is mounted above the barrel, the entire left side of the bad guy would be obscured by the light. To me that is not a good thing.

Crow Hunter
August 28, 2012, 05:24 PM
How do you turn it on? With your left hand knuckle?

Don't you get really bad shadow on the left side of the gun?

I run mine similar but I have it at 3:00 so it is higher than yours, I don't really like the throw of the light compared to the 10:00 position that used to run, like what others have posted.

I would that that you would have the same problem that I have now even worse because it looks like the barrel shadow would be right at your "off hand" eye level.

I never noticed the light in my field of view before. You are using your red dot correctly right? Both eyes open, looking at the target. You should be able to see "through" the light body.

I have never seen anyone run it the way you have it.

Does it not interfere if you have to brace the rifle on cover?

I have never tried that before. It actually never occurred to me to try it like that.

plouffedaddy
August 28, 2012, 05:31 PM
How do you turn it on? With your left hand knuckle?

Does it not interfere if you have to brace the rifle on cover?

These are very valid points. I would not set up a rifle like that but if that's how you like it---roll with it; your gun.

Quentin2
August 28, 2012, 07:41 PM

There are advantages and disadvantages to any position but the 12 o'clock is protected quite well by the barrel. Think about shooting around barriers, the 3, 6 and 9 o'clock can get beat up or the light beam blocked by the barriers. This is much less likely with 12 o'clock.

Crow Hunter
August 28, 2012, 08:11 PM
There are advantages and disadvantages to any position but the 12 o'clock is protected quite well by the barrel. Think about shooting around barriers, the 3, 6 and 9 o'clock can get beat up or the light beam blocked by the barriers. This is much less likely with 12 o'clock.

I wanted to like the 12:00 position but I burn my hand on the FSB and I don't use the newer arm forward position when shooting. It just doesn't feel "right" to me.

I have never tried it with full length rails and a low profile gas block though.

theP8riot
August 28, 2012, 08:44 PM
So I flipped the light around to above

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p165/thep8riot/IMAG0107.jpg

The way I had it

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p165/thep8riot/IMAG0108.jpg

That is a pretty mean shadow. From the hall to the front door it isn't visible, only close up. Taking the pics really trivialized what I was thinking. The light itself is no more obstructive than the sight. It just seems like it is more in the way in person than it looks in the pics.

Honestly I'll probably flip it just to lose the shadows.

theP8riot
August 28, 2012, 08:48 PM
Crow,

I don't use the forward grip either. That is why having the light positioned lower never bothered me.

Quentin2
August 28, 2012, 11:12 PM
I do use the forward grip on 9" handguards but it does take getting used to. And you're correct Crow that you have to watch out for the scalding FSB, since my TLR1 controls are right there (no pressure pads). Honestly I rarely have my light clipped on when I'm out firing a few hundred rounds, it goes on when standing ready in the house.

Crow Hunter
August 29, 2012, 06:57 AM
That shadow is what I see too when I mount my light at 3:00 on the rail. Not quite as high, but it does throw shadows.

I have been waffling with switching it 9:00 because I shoot right handed and it throws the shadow to the right side, further out of my field of view and if I had to shoot around a corner in my house, I would have to shoot around a left hand corner.

That is one of the other reasons I added a FF rail. I can waffle back and forth now without having to rezero every time I change my mind.:D (Which seems to happen alot:rolleyes:)

Father Time
August 29, 2012, 10:34 AM
If I'm a bad guy hiding with a weapon I really love tactical lights in a dark place. They give you a really good place to aim without revealing your location

Most trainers/instructors feel that having a white light hand held or weapon mounted is a requirment for a self defence gun.

Larry Vickers on the Subject:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNcrysTdKKc

I have my light mounted at 3:00, it cast a shadow from the barrel on the left but its a trade off I'm willing to live with because it is more comfortable and easy for me to activate the light when its mounted at 3:00.

bullspotter
August 29, 2012, 09:16 PM
Im really surprised no one talked about the smoke from the muzzle. I had a light mounted on the top rail, shooting iron sights at a night 3 gun match, the amount of smoke lit up by the light was a 100% wash out of the target and a large area around it with each shot. Was like driving in heavy fog or snow with your brights on. Could see nothing but white.......

Mount that light as close to muzzle as you can.

Quentin2
August 29, 2012, 11:42 PM
Excellent video, Father Time. I had heard Larry Vickers prefers the 12 o'clock mount but good to see it in a very useful video.

Thanks for posting the link.