PDA

View Full Version : First AR 15 M&P Sport Range Review

hargroderauto
August 13, 2012, 08:58 AM
Purchased a M&P 15 Sport Friday after doing research on this forum and others that stated this was the best AR for the money, and took it to the range Saturday. I had 2 FTF and 1 live round jam that I had to ask help for from a gentleman that was shooting a M&P 15 next to me. He did clear the jam after slamming the butt on the ground and after that I continued to shoot 60 more rounds. I must say that I never cleaned it before I brought it to the range. After inspecting the live round that was jammed it looked like the shoulders on it were crunched. When I bought the rifle the gunsmith showed my how to dissamble it and he oiled the bolt and internals for me. I was using MagPul magazines. Do you think it jammed because it was new and needed break in or because it was not cleaned thouroughly? I do love this rifle and hope this doesn't happen again. Your suggestions will be appreciated.

JeffSSig
August 13, 2012, 09:51 AM
What ammo was being used?

chris in va
August 13, 2012, 10:22 AM
It should have been cleaned/oiled before use. Mine has been stellar after 3000 rounds. Don't use steel case in it.

hargroderauto
August 13, 2012, 10:48 AM
Ammo used was Remington 55 gr FMJ Brass

Marquezj16
August 13, 2012, 11:01 AM
It should have been cleaned/oiled before use.

Give it a good cleaning, could be some sticky stuff from the factory.
Some AR15s like to run wet, literally use lots of lube.

I run mine fairly dry. Zero failures out of my Sport.

shurshot
August 13, 2012, 01:24 PM
It often takes 3-400 rounds to break in a semi-auto firearm. Keep it clean, use good ammo, and keep shooting it. :D

Coltman 77
August 13, 2012, 03:32 PM
Clean the factory grease and lube the hell out of your new AR. In my experience, AR's like to run pretty wet.

You know the old saying "they'll run dirty and wet but not dirty and dry". :)

plouffedaddy
August 13, 2012, 04:24 PM
Do you think it jammed because it was new and needed break in or because it was not cleaned thouroughly?

No. There is a very, very high likelihood that it malfunctioned due to improper lubrication. ARs like to be wet---especially the bolt and the friction points on the bolt carrier. Lubricate with some CLP or gun oil (even lightweight motor oil will work in a pinch but that's another post all together! :eek:). Point is, they need to be lubricated to ensure proper function.

Good luck and keep shooting that gun! :D