PDA

View Full Version : AR-15 questions

militant
August 12, 2012, 04:52 PM
I just got my first AR-15. I know nothing about them. Mine has a
NODAK NDS 601 lower and a C MP CHROME BORE upper. It looks older. The flash supressor has three prongs. Can anyone give me some more info about this?

Shane Tuttle
August 12, 2012, 04:54 PM
Moving over to Semi-Auto Rifle forum....

militant
August 12, 2012, 04:55 PM
I'm sorry, I am new to this forum.

.357SIG
August 12, 2012, 05:37 PM
C MP is on the barrel? It stands for Colt - MP tested. Without a pic, it is hard to tell whether it is an old A1 SP1 upper or something built from parts.

try this link for more insight:
http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-387143.html

militant
August 12, 2012, 05:39 PM
Well I researched this a little bit on google. It looks like its a retro rifle. I don't know what its worth. This article says 1400

http://www.nodakspud.com/RetroAR15.pdf

militant
August 12, 2012, 06:53 PM
How much are they worth? the sp1 and a throw together? I thinks its all original. I got it from a guy in the airforce. He said it was old.

militant
August 12, 2012, 06:56 PM
C MP is on the barrel horizontal from the front sight. It looks to be the exact rifle in the link i provided.

10-96
August 12, 2012, 07:16 PM
Wow, I haven't seen one of those since basic training. You'll be at a tiny bit of disadvantage as far as mounting a scope- but tons of fun can be had without one too. It likely has a 1:12 twist bbl, and will do just fine with 55gr ammo- heavier may work, but with all the 55gr that's available- anything heavier is purely between you and the rifle. Heavier will probably work up to a point, but there is no rock solid safe bet as to what will and wont work. Folks have sworn up and down about what's s'posed to fire accurately, but yet other's hold different proof in their hands.

Cheap magazines will probably let you down in the long run. I'm not saying you have to buy the most expensive, but the cheapest probably aint' the way to go. The basic Brownells brand is a good in-between.

Get a good manual, GI type is fine, and keep it with the rifle. They have good info on cleaning and sighting procedures. There's nothing magical about it- you can do all the latest and greatest high tech greases and such, but what the manuals say works fine and dandy too.

Enjoy!

militant
August 12, 2012, 07:20 PM
Thanks. I just identified this rifle. Its a Colt 602 upper and a NORDAK 601 lower. I can't wait to shoot it. What do you guys think its worth? I got it for 500. Its in pretty decent condition.

customaquatics
August 12, 2012, 08:13 PM
they got anymore for sale?

militant
August 12, 2012, 09:25 PM
No it was the only one. Did I get an ok deal?

10-96
August 12, 2012, 09:41 PM
I think you got a heck of a deal! You wouldn't be able to even dream about getting one like that around here for less than $700!!!

But truth be told, the proof will be in the puddin when you get some range time with it. If it does excellent and makes you happy- then a resoundlingly "yes". If for some unbeknownst reason- it regurgitates it's parts and/or won't shoot, or won't shoot smaller than 4" groups at 100yds... well, that will sting a little (but can be fixed).

Get some quality ammo, 55gr or so, read up on what you think it's s'posed to do and how it's s'posed to perform, and hit the range.

madcratebuilder
August 13, 2012, 07:06 AM
I got it for 500

Stole rifle alert!!!! You stole it at that price.

The old A1's are fun and very light compared to the current crop of AR's.
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d37/madcratebuilder/AR15/BMA102.jpg

Crow Hunter
August 13, 2012, 07:52 AM
Sounds like someone built a "retro" rifle.

The NODAK receiver is the give away. NODAK 601 receivers are new production designed to be the same as the old A1 receivers. They only thing I would worry about is where the SP1 upper came from. If it was off of an old GI surplus rifle, there is no telling how many rounds are through it or at what speed and how many times it was cleaned improperly.

As long as it shoots, and you like it, that is what matters.

$500 is a good price on an AR period. Even IF you need to give it a little TLC.

militant
August 13, 2012, 09:56 AM
Correct me of I'm wrong... But I was told this was a military rifle and was originally fully auto. The lower nodak was added to replace the full auto lower due to legalities. I know the upper is a colt due to the stampings.

Crow Hunter
August 13, 2012, 11:49 AM
Could very well be. That is what I would worry about.:D

Several "mad minutes" and some poor cleaning habits can ruin even a good quality barrel/upper pretty fast.

You can probably figure that out though. Just look up some function check videos on Youtube and you should be able to evaluate it.

What does the rear end of the Bolt Carrier Group look like? Can you post a picture? Full auto BCG look different than semi which look different from older Colt commercial parts.

As long as it shoots and you like it, I wouldn't worry about it. You have the lower now, if you decide to change it to something else later, you can just buy another/different upper.

militant
August 13, 2012, 12:41 PM
So this lower is compatible with recent day uppers?

militant
August 13, 2012, 12:48 PM
Also, there is something in te butt plate that looks like it can be removed with a flat head screw driver? Kind of like a Sks but different.

Crow Hunter
August 13, 2012, 02:18 PM

I don't know for sure, but my guess is that it should be.

Unless the front is using a screw instead of a push pin. Then it might not be compatible. But that would only be if the upper was not a military upper.

Also, there is something in te butt plate that looks like it can be removed with a flat head screw driver? Kind of like a Sks but different.

There may be a trap door that is there to hold cleaning stuff. I haven't seen a A1 stock in a long time. If it is just a flat head screw, that is what holds the stock sling swivel on. :D

10-96
August 13, 2012, 04:40 PM
I hope somebody who's got th elowdown on these things comes by pretty quickly. On early A1's and SP1's there's what's called "large" and "small" series takedown pins and trigger pins. I don't know enough about them to expound on 'em, but I do know there are some differences in the early ones.

Anybody? Help on aisle 5!

Justice06RR
August 13, 2012, 09:53 PM
$500 is definitely a bargain for that rifle. Post up some pics so we can help you a bit more.

Congrats!

madcratebuilder
August 14, 2012, 06:38 AM
Correct me of I'm wrong... But I was told this was a military rifle and was originally fully auto. The lower nodak was added to replace the full auto lower due to legalities. I know the upper is a colt due to the stampings.

There's no certain way to tell the origins of the upper. The lower is current production. We would need pic's showing all the small parts to tell if they are early or late model. Building SP1 clones is very popular and there are a lot of them around.

militant
August 14, 2012, 10:20 AM
I decided to get a newer ar 15 so I am selling this one. I took it to a local gun shop and decided to sell it on consignment. The shop owner told me that due to the lower not being a colt and matching the upper, it decreased the value. He did verify that the upper was a 602 colt. He valued it at 700. There are some nice 16" Bushmasters there. I was disappointed in the what he valued it at becaue I figured an upper from the Vietnam era would have increased the value more than a lets say dmps ar 15. But thats how the cookie crumbles.