PDA

View Full Version : Newbie with Winchester Model 52C

rodbuilderjim
August 10, 2012, 11:30 PM
Hey guys newbie here. I was a NRA junior shooter more years ago than I care to admit and I have gotten the bug to shot again. My dad still has the Winchester Model 52C that I. Used to shot and is going to ship it to me. I can't wait to get it and start sending rounds through paper! I hope you guys can help me. I have no other equipment to start shooting 3P and 4P. I want to start with used and upgrade as I progress. Mainly I need a sling and maybe a jacket. I wear a size 44 L suit jacket. If anyone has anything they are not using I would put it to good use.

I also have a 12yo son that is chomping at the bit to shoot 3P or 4P with me and I want some recommendations on a good cheap target rifle that I can get for him. Just not sure of what to look at.

One other thing I am looking for is a thumbhole stock or my C. If anyone has a lead on one I would really like to hear it.

Thanks guys for any help.

10-96
August 11, 2012, 01:58 AM
Glad you and your son are getting into this gig again. It'll seem like more fun than it did years ago.

I hope you have some great luck on picking up used stuff- I didn't fare so well in the used dept here in my neck of the woods. It was out there, but it all seemed to be sized for either youths or a midget shooting league. May I suggest you scout around on this place? http://www.champchoice.com/prod-O_D__GREEN_CLOTH_RIFLEMAN_S_SHOOTING_COAT___SIZE_X_LARGE__46_48_-991.aspx

A good start for your son in my humble little opinion might be the CZ 452 Military Trainer or the Scout line. The MT isn't a heavy rifle, but it's been holding it's own against the giant names in the industry.

30Cal
August 11, 2012, 08:40 AM
The 52C is a classic. I've got a D but secretly I wish I had the sporter one.

kraigwy
August 11, 2012, 09:32 AM
Rodbuilderjm;

Looks like you're a canadate for the CMP Forums. Best place to get information and they have a good for sale section for the equipment you're looking for.

The Firing Line is good, but the CMP is more along the lines with your venue.

Also check out their E-Store. Best place and prices for small bore shooting and the Bookstore for guides.

http://www.odcmp.com/

I'd highly recommend against changing your '52.

Hope the Mods don't shoot me for recommending another site/forum.

Scorch
August 11, 2012, 04:26 PM
Most of the equipment you need will be available from Creedmore Sports(shooting jackets, spotting scopes, range books, range carts, etc, etc, etc).

4EVERM-14
August 12, 2012, 02:23 PM
Congrads on getting back on the line.
The Model 52 is a great rifle. I also have a C version. Be sure to use quality ammo. The cheap stuff is just not worth the effort.
Used equipment is around but sometimes new things are a better value. Particularly when you can pass them done to the young one. Another place to check for info is www.pilkguns.com/.