PDA

View Full Version : Help identifying AK

crossfire027
August 10, 2012, 02:55 AM
I can't seem to figure out what this AK is, so I need a bit of help identifying it.

http://i641.photobucket.com/albums/uu132/DavidW_027/20120810_000948.jpg

http://i641.photobucket.com/albums/uu132/DavidW_027/20120810_001039.jpg

http://i641.photobucket.com/albums/uu132/DavidW_027/20120810_001019-1.jpg

kozak6
August 10, 2012, 04:03 AM
My guess is Chinese.

One tip off is the 56. The Chinese Type 56 is an AK pattern rifle.

Other indicators are the apparently hooded front site, and the dust cover is smooth.

crossfire027
August 10, 2012, 04:16 AM
Would you know if that's a good rifle? I paid 300 for it and a good amount of extra stuff for it.

Nickel Plated
August 10, 2012, 05:02 AM
Yep, most definitely Chinese. You can tell by the stock profile and the receiver. I noticed that Chinese receivers always have this brushed look on them.

crossfire027
August 10, 2012, 05:31 AM
Do you know what yearish its from? And I paid 300 for it. Plus crate of ammo and a few mags. It doesn't say mak on the side and everything is stock on it I'm told. So it would be a pre-ban? Sorry I know Russian, Romanian, Yugo, and arsenal AKs, not Chinese.

Whitetail99
August 10, 2012, 11:47 AM
It's a pre-ban I would say mid 60's do you see the way the pistol grip curls up and in? The changed it to the straight line in '70

Whitetail99
August 10, 2012, 11:49 AM
Just out of curiosity where did you buy it?

crossfire027
August 10, 2012, 01:04 PM
I got it from a private seller with its extra stuff, do you think me putting some hand carved furniture will decrease the value? If it does I don't really care its not leaving my possession. I just wanted to make sure, so Chinese aks aren't like their sks where they're just not to good? Like I said eastern block and other assualt type rifles are my specialty. Not Chinese sks. Thanks for the info guys!

Dfariswheel
August 10, 2012, 06:33 PM
This wasn't imported in the 1960's.
The first AK rifle imports were in the mid to later 1980's.

There should be an importers stamp on the receiver as was required by law.
If there's no importer identification on the receiver, you may have a rifle someone assembled with an American made receiver.
A lot of rifles were built using everything from flat, un-bent blanks to semi-finished blanks.

The pictures of the numbers and markings you posted are on the barrel trunnion.
If you use an AK kit and assemble it to an American made receiver, the original markings will be there, but if it was assembled by an individual here in the US there may be no markings at all on the actual receiver.

Installing other wood won't lower the value whatever it is as long as you don't modify the metal. You can easily remove whatever wood you install and reinstall the original wood.

halfcocked
August 10, 2012, 10:15 PM
you got a great deal on that (assuming it's reliable). You usually can't touch any chinese, even the mak90s with the thumbhole stocks for less than $550 or better. Even if the receiver is crap and the thing doesn't work, the parts kit alone would be worth more than you paid.

If you decide to get rid of that red stock set, gimme a shout.

In general the chinese aks are well regarded for reliability and durability. My only complaints are that even though the average wood on them look great, it seems a bit soft. I have one with a crack in the stock. Also the bluing looks pretty but rusts really quick and easy.

lee n. field
August 10, 2012, 10:32 PM
Do you know what yearish its from? And I paid 300 for it. Plus crate of ammo and a few mags.

Will you stop rubbing it in?:) Yes, you did fine, given that you can't even hardly touch a lowly SKS for that any more.

ronl
August 10, 2012, 10:40 PM
Definitely Chinese, from Arsenal 56. I've had a few of the early Chinese AK's and that one is definitely 100%. Dead giveaway is the brushed type finish that you will only find on Chinese rifles. The red plastic furniture is especially interesting as I have never seen it on another AK. It is similar in color to the red plastic "jungle" stocks found on a few SKS's. I'd bet it is also original to the rifle. The lack of import marks is very interesting, but you may have to look very closely to find them, perhaps stamped on underside of barrel in small letters. Perhaps there is a light stamping just in front of the mag well. Could prove very interesting if there are none. Not every AK in this country came here through totally legal channels. You can take a set of calipers and check the thickness of the receiver to verify Chinese origin. I think they should be 1.5mm or there about, definitely thicker than Eastern European models.

crossfire027
August 11, 2012, 12:51 AM
Yeah there's import markings. They're kinda hidden. but there for sure. And he didn't say imported in the 60s, just made in the 60s. From cleaning it's earlier, and the fact the seller "never" fired it except for testing. Its only been fired a few hundred times. And everything checks out to be good and in working order.

Dfariswheel
August 11, 2012, 07:08 PM
It wasn't MADE in the 1960's either.
The Chinese never made semi-auto AK's until they started importing them into the US.

They used some parts made in the 1960's to assemble them but your rifle was probably actually built in the mid-1980's specifically for import into the US.
They seem to have been well made rifles, since people do have a high opinion of them.

crossfire027
August 13, 2012, 03:16 AM
ALright, like I said I don't know anything about them haha, so if it's made in the 80's it's made in the 80's. Now that I know it's chinese and what not, I'll start researching it alot more, I was hoping it was made somewhere in russia when I got it, but then again if it was, I wouldn't be here asking about it haha.

WVfishguy
August 13, 2012, 04:21 PM
Nobody's trying to hassle you here, its just that you got a really great deal. :D

Chinese AKs are made of thicker metal on the receiver and barrel. I recently bought a MAK 90 (for $525) and I was surprised how much heavier it was than the Romanian AK next to it.

There are a lot of folks who say the Chinese made the best AK - and I'm inclined to agree. Mine has a great trigger, beautiful chrome-lined bore and it shoots like a champ.
http://i850.photobucket.com/albums/ab64/WVfishguy/MAK90first.jpg

crossfire027
August 13, 2012, 05:17 PM
Don't worry, I never felt like I was being hassled:) That a nice rifle, I need to get a new dust cover so it matches, and some new furniture since I like the wood more. But yeah it all around seems to be really well made and maintained. It seems like a really solid version of the AK. I can't wait for this weekend!

Bart Noir
August 13, 2012, 07:59 PM
Not every AK in this country came here through totally legal channels.

Umm, yeah, you may want to put 2, and only 2, rounds in the magazine, then fire to make sure it truly is a semi-auto only weapon. Not much chance of otherwise but Murphy may strike at any time.

And if it is still a selective fire, a mention to Eric Holder will get it safely south of the border in no time :D

Aw crap, did I just break a forum rule? Oh well.

Bart Noir