PDA

View Full Version : m-16 build

customaquatics
August 7, 2012, 04:45 PM
i was wondering if anyone here has done a regular M-16 build? what do you guys have them lookin like?

Marquezj16
August 7, 2012, 04:55 PM
Like this :)

http://thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=80362&d=1333765571

customaquatics
August 7, 2012, 05:00 PM
ya! but i was wanting to do the A2 upper. did you build it? how hard is it to do that from a AR-15?

Marquezj16
August 7, 2012, 05:05 PM
Yeah, I built it pretty much piece by piece.

It was not too hard. You do need some tools. I'm looking for the post I did when I completed it and will post a link.

Marquezj16
August 7, 2012, 05:07 PM
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=484058

customaquatics
August 7, 2012, 05:08 PM
alrite it would help me out to read it.

Axelwik
August 7, 2012, 05:38 PM
When I hear "M-16" I think military weapon with full-auto. So what's the difference between yours and an AR-15?

customaquatics
August 7, 2012, 05:45 PM
M4-3 shot burst, M4A1-full auto, M-16A2-i believe semi?, M-16A4 full auto.
ar-15 is what most people think of as a 16" carbine flat tope reciever, 6 way adjustable stock. a M-16, there is 2 versions the semi-auto an full auto version. 20" barrel, A2 upper, A2 stock. "gives off hints of a liberal to me.

cannonfire
August 7, 2012, 09:15 PM
M-16A2-i believe semi?, M-16A4 full auto.

Nope. A2 and A4 are select-fire 3 round burst/semi.

ar-15 is what most people think of as a 16" carbine flat tope reciever, 6 way adjustable stock. a M-16, there is 2 versions the semi-auto an full auto version. 20" barrel, A2 upper, A2 stock.

Nope again. Ar-15 is the platform. M-16 designates the military firearm. You can have a 20" barrel with A2 stock and upper and it will still be an ar15 unless it has the select fire capability. There are also at least 5 versions (m16 - m16a4. A3 I think was an A2 with a collapsible butt stock but not positive) but all were select fire. You are building a m16 look alike but unless you have the select fire it is an ar15.

madcratebuilder
August 8, 2012, 06:32 AM
I like the looks of the A1 models, it was my first experience with this additive bastard.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d37/madcratebuilder/AR15/BMA101.jpg

customaquatics
August 8, 2012, 07:04 AM
what cannonfire said :)

Technosavant
August 8, 2012, 09:22 AM
There are also at least 5 versions (m16 - m16a4. A3 I think was an A2 with a collapsible butt stock but not positive) but all were select fire.

The M16A2 has 3 round burst, the M16A3 is fully automatic, not burst. To my knowledge there is no US designation for a rifle length barrel with a collapsible buttstock; I do know the Canadians used such a rifle. Some folks build theirs up like that, but it's not really an A-anything.

There's a decent sized community of people who like the retro style ARs, be they the A1s, the A2s, or even the SP101 configuration (the slickside upper and lowers, pencil barrels, etc.). There is something to those... I have an A2 build that feels just SO nice and shoots very well. If you really start getting into ARs, I rather strongly recommend getting together a 20" KISS* rifle. While it wouldn't be my go-to AR, or even my second or third choice, it's just an enjoyable rifle to shoot.

* Keep It Simple, Stupid. No rails, no lights, no optics, no nuthin' beyond a sling. Iron sights, MAYBE a collapsible stock if needed, etc.

Kimio
August 8, 2012, 09:30 AM
That's how my AR15 is. I think the only thing I may change is the stock since the LOP is a bit long for me, though I may break one rule of yours by adding an optic ;)

ahanson0812
August 8, 2012, 09:40 AM
My first AR-15 was a 20" barrel flat top that looked like the standard service rifle...

Sent from my DROIDX

Marquezj16
August 8, 2012, 03:07 PM
http://www.ar15.com/content/guides/assembly/lower/

By far one of the best instructions out on the net.

Destructo6
August 9, 2012, 09:48 AM
Nope again. Ar-15 is the platform. M-16 designates the military firearm. You can have a 20" barrel with A2 stock and upper and it will still be an ar15 unless it has the select fire capability.
Unless it is marked "AR-15" and has the full auto capability.

I'd like to eventually build a M16A2 clone from an old A2 upper/lower that are laying around.

cannonfire
August 9, 2012, 10:29 AM
The M16A2 has 3 round burst, the M16A3 is fully automatic, not burst. To my knowledge there is no US designation for a rifle length barrel with a collapsible buttstock; I do know the Canadians used such a rifle. Some folks build theirs up like that, but it's not really an A-anything.

Interesting. I forgot where I heard about the collapsible stock, but I heard it and preached it as truth.

What's the difference between the A1 and A3? Change in handguards and flash suppressor like on the A2? Maybe small cosmetic changes?

Technosavant
August 9, 2012, 12:49 PM
What's the difference between the A1 and A3? Change in handguards and flash suppressor like on the A2? Maybe small cosmetic changes?

It's basically all the same changes that went from the A1 to the A2*, but just full auto instead of burst... the only differences between the A2 and A3 are in the fire control group. It was really only issued in small numbers to certain units. A friend of mine in the Navy who has fired both said that the A3 had a better trigger pull... IMO, that's probably attributable to the lack of the burst components in the fire control group.

*Birdcage flash suppressor, heavier barrel, round profile handguards, pistol grip with a notch below the middle finger, and rear sight adjustable for elevation are the most notable changes. IIRC, there's a few others in there as well, but I don't remember every last one.

44 AMP
August 9, 2012, 09:43 PM
If you live in the US, you cannot build and legally register an M16. Unless you are rebuilding one of the already registered lower recievers. Its that pesky 1986 machine gun ban, don't you know....

You can build an AR 15 (semi auto only) that looks like any variant of the M16 family you want on the outside, but no full auto parts inside are allowed these days. The ATF frowns on that. Short barrel M16 variants are allowed, (with ATF registration, local laws permitting), that registry isn't closed like the full auto one is.

*Birdcage flash suppressor, heavier barrel, round profile handguards, pistol grip with a notch below the middle finger, and rear sight adjustable for elevation are the most notable changes. IIRC, there's a few others in there as well, but I don't remember every last one.

Some, maybe most? M16A1s had the birdcage flash suppressor. And I think the brass deflector "hump" came out with the A2. Early A1s had an oval forward assist, but that was later changed to a round one, that didn't snag on everything, as much. Have seen both kinds of buttstock (trapdoor and solid butt) on M16A1s.

*for purposes of this discussion, M16 refers to any AR15 class rifle with selective fire components*