PDA

View Full Version : Tula ammo in BCM AR's?

essohbe
August 4, 2012, 04:10 PM
Anyone shoot tula .223 in a Bravo Company AR? I only shoot brass in mine but I'm wondering how it can handle tula steel cased.

Sinlessorrow
August 4, 2012, 04:38 PM
its hit or miss, BCM uses the correct size gas port which may or may not run on low powered .223 especially Tula.

Quentin2
August 4, 2012, 07:50 PM
Tula/Herters does cycle the action fine in my BCM 16" midlength, even with a heavy buffer, but the spent case occasionally sticks in the chamber, especially the Herters (Cabelas house brand). Not a huge problem but annoying. Same issue in my Daniel Defense AR and you see lots of complaints on Cabelas' website. I still buy it when there's a good sale since it's not hurting the rifle. Funny, it's never stuck in my ArmaLite which has a very loose chamber while the other two have tight chambers.

Technosavant
August 4, 2012, 08:04 PM
I have a BCM upper (carbine length gas) that will run Silver Bear steel case without a problem. I don't buy that ammo anymore, but it will eat it.

mr.t7024
August 5, 2012, 06:41 AM
I bought some,tried it out... the first two round were misfires, the next two were squib loads. Made key chains out of the rest. Will not buy it again!:) Cliff

Palmetto-Pride
August 5, 2012, 04:31 PM
Tula ammo for AR-15s is absolute garbage.......myself and two friends with three different ARs had nothing but problems. Some say they can use it with no problems for them I say all the more power to you and congrats. My self and two friends will stay far away from that ammo.......take our experience for what its worth. I wouldn't buy more than a box or two to see how it performs in your AR........:)

FrosSsT
August 5, 2012, 05:45 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5ZB3UfG960

essohbe
August 5, 2012, 06:36 PM
I wouldn't buy more than a box or two to see how it performs in your AR........

Exactly what I was planning, lol!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5ZB3UfG960

Wolf isn't from Tula I don't think, there's a difference in the poly coating vs laquer coatings and I wouldn't use laquer in my AR but poly I'd try. Tula ammo doesn't seem to have crap all over the cases.

FrosSsT
August 5, 2012, 08:06 PM
Wolf isn't from Tula I don't think, there's a difference in the poly coating vs laquer coatings and I wouldn't use laquer in my AR but poly I'd try. Tula ammo doesn't seem to have crap all over the cases.

Tula, Wolf & Herters are produced from the same factory in Russia from what I have researched. That is why Herters is stamped TULA and Tula is the maker of Wolf ammo since Wolf is not a manufacturer.

Blackops_2
August 6, 2012, 12:03 AM
its hit or miss, BCM uses the correct size gas port which may or may not run on low powered .223 especially Tula.

This pretty much. Depending on the ammo. As he said BCM uses a .062 gas port, the only cheap ammo i've ran through mine has been wolf which short stroked.

Sinlessorrow
August 6, 2012, 12:41 AM
Tula, Wolf & Herters are produced from the same factory in Russia from what I have researched. That is why Herters is stamped TULA and Tula is the maker of Wolf ammo since Wolf is not a manufacturer.

this changed in 2011, Wolf WPA is now made at the Barnauls factory and its much better quality than the old wolf black box.

If you get Wolf get WPA.

FrosSsT
August 6, 2012, 03:06 PM
this changed in 2011, Wolf WPA is now made at the Barnauls factory and its much better quality than the old wolf black box.

If you get Wolf get WPA

Learn something new every day. I wonder how their new .308 is?

Eghad
August 6, 2012, 08:48 PM
I have use steel cased ammo made by Barnaul in Russia with no problems.

akguy1985
August 9, 2012, 03:35 AM
I've ran tula in my BCM M4gery with no issues.

Justice06RR
August 9, 2012, 04:28 AM
Tula ammo for AR-15s is absolute garbage.......myself and two friends with three different ARs had nothing but problems. Some say they can use it with no problems for them I say all the more power to you and congrats. My self and two friends will stay far away from that ammo.......take our experience for what its worth. I wouldn't buy more than a box or two to see how it performs in your AR........

Sorry to hear it doesn't run on your's. What kind of AR's do you have?

Ironically many of us AR owners run them with no problems whatsoever. Maybe its just your particular experience... I dunno. It does run dirtier than brass ammo, but that can be easily remedied by routine cleaning.

Smug Monkey
August 9, 2012, 07:33 AM
I run Tula in my AR almost exclusively as range fodder. Every time I stop at Wal-Mart I pick up a few boxes for $4.97 as it is virtually guaranteed to be available.

My AR is an M4 profile CMT upper with LMT barrel/bolt sitting on a Stag lower. It loves Tula and I have never had any problems with it. Hell, I get pretty decent accuracy with it.

Sure, its dirtier and a little underpowered when compared to AE .223 ($6.97 a box) which I also buy at Wal-Mart when I can find it, but for range duty Tula works fine for me. The price difference of $2 per box really adds up over time. I keep the brass cased American Eagle as my backup range ammo.

Mark

Palmetto-Pride
August 9, 2012, 09:58 PM
Sorry to hear it doesn't run on your's. What kind of AR's do you have?

Ironically many of us AR owners run them with no problems whatsoever. Maybe its just your particular experience... I dunno. It does run dirtier than brass ammo, but that can be easily remedied by routine cleaning.

My AR-15 at the time was a 5.56 M&P15T(which is now a 300AAC BLK OUT) my friends is a M&P15OR, and I don't remember what the other one was, but it wasn't a Smith. I have since put together three 5.56 PSAs that I haven't tried any in and don't think I am willing to......

pturner67
August 13, 2012, 05:29 PM
I emailed Spikes today to ask about steel-cased ammo. They said no issue running steel-cased in their ARs but might have to clean more often.

INMY01TA
August 14, 2012, 09:50 PM
My Del-ton carbine has no problems with Tula.