PDA

View Full Version : Pretty happy with my AK shooting today...

spacecoast
August 4, 2012, 03:10 PM
I'm an inexperienced rifle shooter, but I'm really happy with the way the AK clone I purchased in July is shooting for me. Today I had it out and shot this 11-shot group with the stock iron sights. The best 10 shots form a 2-1/2" group. I can't really see a need to upgrade further with an Ultimak rail and red dot sight. I'm not sure my groups would get any better than this. Ammo used was the standard Tula 122 gr. FMJ steel-cased.

http://i891.photobucket.com/albums/ac115/spacecoast_guns/AK/AK-100yds.jpg

I am at the age where the rear sights are getting quite fuzzy, so I also used a cool little $10 pinhole aperture that sticks to your shooting glasses and really sharpens the sight picture.

http://i891.photobucket.com/albums/ac115/spacecoast_guns/misc/pinhole.jpg

The rifle was manufactured by Lancaster Arms (milled receiver and Tapco G2 trigger group), and I switched out the furniture for replacements by Tapco and Hogue. The collapsible Tapco stock and butt pad as well as the Hogue finger grooves make this rifle much more comfortable to shoot than the stock cherry furniture (as pretty as it was), and once I got the stock and grip I just wanted to finish it in all black.

http://i891.photobucket.com/albums/ac115/spacecoast_guns/AK/ak800600.jpg

I'd really like to get this gun out to a 200+ yard range to see if I could keep it on paper at longer distances. It probably won't happen until late in the year though.

Creeper
August 4, 2012, 03:49 PM
Not bad... with irons, an AK, Tula ammo and aging eyes. ;)

See if you can find some Barnaul 7.62X39 ammo... very accurate for the money. If you can score some Lapua - brass case ammo... it ain't cheap, but it's about as accurate as you can get, short of hand loads.

A red dot, even with no magnification might provide improved accuracy... although with too large a subtention for your aiming point dimension, it might be a wash with iron sights.

Nice Lancaster... they build a sweet gun.

Cheers,
C

spacecoast
August 4, 2012, 10:55 PM
Thanks Creeper, I'm not sure I understand the subtention... dimension thing, but I guess you are talking about the size of the dot. I think the choice of the 2" black circle was pretty good for irons aiming at 100 yards as it appeared to be just about the same width as my front sight.

Thanks for the ammo tip as well, I will have to see if I can find a couple of boxes of Barnaul to try. I also tried 154 grain soft tip Herters (Tula) today, but didn't see any improvement in accuracy, and also had a couple rounds fail to get completely into battery. No issues at all with the Tula 122 grain in about 60 rounds total.

Creeper
August 4, 2012, 11:26 PM
Thanks Creeper, I'm not sure I understand the subtention... dimension thing, but I guess you are talking about the size of the dot. I think the choice of the 2" black circle was pretty good for irons aiming at 100 yards as it appeared to be just about the same width as my front sight.

Exactly.

With dot sights, the idea is that you don't want your reticle to cover the most precise aiming point that you use on your target... but to take advantage of it.
For example, if you have a 3 MOA round dot, a 3.5"-4" bull can work really well because it provides a concentric, black ring around your round dot. The eye loves concentricity... make the most of it.

With irons... it might have been more precise to use a 1" or 1.5" bull, or perhaps a square rather than a circle... a square can be more evenly divided by the eye.
Years ago, I experimented with custom targets I designed for specific irons and unmagnified red dots. Frequently, when I got it just right, I was able to reduce group size by 1/2 (vs. using any old target) because my alignment was more precisely controlled.
Something you can play with.

Shooting groups with an AK can be hard. Play around with hard and soft rests as well as time between shots... I've found that there can be a difference between a "hard hold" (tight, hard against the shoulder, firm hand grip) and a "soft hold" (light pressure, just touching, soft grip hold... just enough to press the trigger consistently) as well.

Fun fun fun!

Cheers,
C

AKsRul.e
August 5, 2012, 08:36 AM
Red Dots are described by MOA (minute of angle )

A minute of angle is one inch at 100 yards.

Therefore a 4 MOA reddot would COVER 4 inches of your target
at 100 yds.

:)

spacecoast
August 5, 2012, 10:09 AM
I think Creeper's point is that by matching targets and aiming devices carefully you can, for example, take advantage of the eye's natural affinity for concentric rings and make it possible to shoot more precisely than either the size of the red dot or the slightly larger target. I'd like to think that a 5-shot 1" group might be possible with my rifle (maybe not with irons only).

To my recollection I was barely able to make out the black circle (including the invisible but probably somewhat contrast-reducing white X in the middle) at 100 yards. I will indeed look for (or make) a 1.5" all-black square and see if that is as or more visible to me unaided.

Creeper - thanks for the wisdom, it's interesting stuff to think about and try.

bamaranger
August 7, 2012, 09:16 PM
I'd say that's good shooting. Appears to be a 4", 10 shot group at 100 yds. That's likely very good for an AK, and not bad for a M94 or similar utility rifle.

I'm thinking a ulti rail or other magnifying optic would help your group size, but what would one do with an AK that 4 MOA would not accomplish.

You might not have to rely on the aperture dingy. (Hey I'm there with you)