PDA

View Full Version : Compensator sticking

MikeGunz
August 1, 2012, 05:30 PM
Recently I've been having issues getting my compensator off my arsenal sgl-31 for cleaning. I have to unscrew it by putting a large screw driver through the compensator and really torquing it hard. I fear i might ruin the threads if i keep this up. Ive tried leaving the threads lubed and dry doesnt seem to matter. Anybody else there have this issue with compensators? Ive been shooting corrosive 7n6 out of it wouldnt think it would matter seeing im cleaning it only hours after shooting. Shooting about 120 rds each time out. Thanks for any input.

Creeper
August 1, 2012, 05:46 PM
By lubrication, do you mean an oil of some kind? Have you tried one of the paste type anti-seize products?

There are all sorts of formulations for threaded connections... bases of copper, graphite, aluminum, moly-disulfide, zinc and nickel as well as combinations of those listed. There are also non-metallics like "Metal-Free 2000" made by Anti-Seize Technology.

These all have various applications and temperature extremes... might want to look into them.

Cheers,
C

MikeGunz
August 1, 2012, 06:17 PM
Thanks, will have to look into some type of anti-seize grease on my next home depot run. I just been using regular gun oil/CLP. Would think this would be a common issue with these ak-74s cant believe how hard it is to get off. Like I shot it then let it sit underwater for a month..

Creeper
August 1, 2012, 06:21 PM
Ahhh... variables of mfg's, thread fit, bla bla bla. You may just have a combination that is just on the tight side of tolerance. A good anti-sieze should make it a little easier.
At worst, run a tap into the comp and a die over the barrel... might clean up the cuts enough to reduce, what I perceive to be, a possible tighter than spec interface.

Cheers,
C

stubbicatt
August 3, 2012, 05:07 PM
Anti seize will work.

The 7n6 is great ammo, but it leave some serious encrustation in the comp.