PDA

View Full Version : Grease and Solvent for Ruger 10/22

Last Escape Pod
August 1, 2012, 06:19 AM
What brands/types of grease and solvent do you use on your guns. What would you recommend for cleaning a Ruger 10/22 carbine?

I recently obtained a 10/22, but want to give it a good cleaning before taking it out to the range (don't know what kind of factory crap might be in it).

Also, how many rounds do you think I could fire before needing to clean the rifle? I intend to use metal jacketed bullets, instead of lead cast bullets.

PawPaw
August 1, 2012, 06:29 AM
I use Hoppe's #9, but I'm an old curmudgeon and I buy this stuff by the pint. Any good solvent you find on the shelf of your gun shop will do fine. As will Simple Green that you can get at the Dollar Store. As far as oil and grease, just about any good lubricant will work. I've been using a a $2.00 tube of white lithium grease for several years and still have most of it. I also use BreakFree, standard ATF, and Mobil One, depending on what I'm lubing and which of the lubes is closest to hand.

My main question is where are you going to find jacketed .22LR ammo? I've seen plated, I've seen copper-colored ammo, but I don't know where to get jacketed .22 ammo. Do they make it?

MikeGunz
August 1, 2012, 07:04 AM
I use hoppes #9 as well, seems to get the job done. Then Ill just throw a light coat of gun oil(any gun oil) on the bolt. I clean my 10/22 every time I shoot it. Probably dont have to but Im a bit of a neat freak and wouldnt be able to sleep knowing there's a dirty gun in my house hah. My friend bought the new 10/22 take down and we put a few bulk packs through it before it would start jamming a lot.

Rogervzv
August 1, 2012, 09:08 AM
I never use grease on any of my firearms. A little (very little) gun oil on the critical parts of the action and the bolt, plus lots of hoppes to clean off any powder residue and of course to clean the bore. And my guns 'bout never jam. This regime has worked for me.

I agree with the other poster that I can't sleep with a dirty uncleaned gun in the house. :eek:

Pahoo
August 1, 2012, 10:05 AM
I'm also a user of Hoppe's #9 as we usually settle on what works for us.

I never use grease on any of my firearms.
Again, pretty much what I don't use. The only exception here is to put small dab of "Moly" base grease or GunSlick on contact points of the hammer strut, hammer bight, sear and disconnect, all of which you find in the trigger housing. As far as oil, any good gun oil but I shy away from Rem. oil. ;)

After each range-time, I "lightly" swap the bore, from breech to muzzle. I don't do a hard clean till I start seeing moderate dirt in the reciever. .... ;)

Be Safe !!!

Mobuck
August 1, 2012, 10:11 PM
shoot it until it fails and then clean the crud out of it. 22 ammo leaves a lot of carbon, grit, and powder fouling within the receiver.
I use Hoppe's #9 for cleaning and CLP for lubing.
22 ammo is not "jacketed or cast". 22 bullets are swaged and some are copper plated.
right now, I'[m shooting Federal 525 pack HP and Blazer 525 pack solid nose and both work well in several 10-22 rifles.

Rogervzv
August 1, 2012, 10:56 PM
I'm with Mobuck -- Federal 525 Blue Box is great with the 10/22. And all 22s for that matter. I use it in all my 22 pistols as well.

SteelChickenShooter
August 2, 2012, 10:30 PM
I don't favor a particular brand of spray cleaner. In my trade, I have access to a wide assortment of cleaning chemicals. Spray cleaners that remove grease, flux, oils, and so on. I like to separate the 10-22 action from the stock and liberally spray it down. I get quite a puddle of black gunk out of it. I do have one brand of oil that I have come to appreciate. And that is the Rem Oil. I use it in the small squeeze bottle as well as the small and larger spray cans.

10-96
August 3, 2012, 01:23 AM
Last Escape Pod- Don't get hung up on the grease, over lubing, and over cleaning thing. It's only been in the past few years that folks have suddenly got the notion that all firearms must be packed in grease and oozing more oil than the Exxon Valdez before they'll even think about sending more than two consecutive shots down the barrel. Read the manual, they've been building firearms way longer than any of us have been shooting- I'm fairly sure they've got it figgered out by now. I'm not all that old, (only 44), but trust me on this: rifles can and do operate just fine simply by following manufacturers recommendations, and they have been for as long as I can remember. I know all the internet heros say ya gotta do it or else someone will come along and take away your Manly Man Card, but in reality, it just ain't so.

Cleaning? After every trip, it's also really OK to lock the bolt to the rear and wipe/swab out what you can see and call it good. Then, after a year or so, if things start to feel sluggish- then do a thourough tear down and clean. Cleaning the barrel- if you can stand to stoop to the level of a many match shooters, lightly clean when accuracy starts to taper off, every 6 mos, or 1 year. Think about it, if the .22 shoots so dirty, why on earth do you want to suspend all that gunk in oil and let it seep down into the trigger mechanism and other hard to get to places?

I s'pose I owe you and probably everybody younger than me an appology for being so straight forward and crass, but I honestly don't know why of late what we've done for the past 37 years doesn't work any more.

Please accept my appology.

Rifleman1776
August 3, 2012, 08:39 AM
Unless your 10/22 is old and abused, you do not need to overly worry about cleaning. A good gun oil, and there are many, is all that is needed. The 10/22 will take a lot of abuse and work just fine.
You descriptions of the ammo you want to use indicates, to me, you are a very novice shooter. Try to bring an experienced shooter friend to the range to help give you tips. And, having a buddly along is always fun.

Shotgun693
August 3, 2012, 11:02 AM
Years ago, many years, I found where some idiot had dumped 2 boxes of gun reloading and cleaning supplies by the side of the road. I recovered, along with a bunch of other nice stuff, about 12 little containers of Military Gun Grease. If I feel a gun needs some I put just the tiniest dab on with a Q-Tip, barely enough to see.
For most cleaning I strip off the wood and spray down the working parts with either brake cleaner or cab cleaner depending on which was on sale. I lightly re-lube with what ever gun oil I have setting around.

Mike38
August 3, 2012, 06:27 PM
Hoppeā€™s #9 for cleaning, and Mobile One 5w-20 motor oil for lubrication. No grease. My great great grand kids should still be shooting them.

Pahoo
August 3, 2012, 07:24 PM
Unless your 10/22 is old and abused, you do not need to overly worry about cleaning.
I agreed to do a trigger job, on a factory Target 10/22. Soon after starting, discovered that it was down right filthy. So much so, that refused to do the work until I cleaned it. Now this guy shoots competively and I asked him if he ever cleaned it. The answer was NO, since he bought it two years ago. :eek:

Be Safe !!!

SteelChickenShooter
August 5, 2012, 03:37 PM
In my Marine Corps days decades ago, I used a product called "Lubriplate". A touch of it here and there was all that was needed on my M-14. Not certain if the same applies this day and age to modern rimfire auto-loaders. I suspect modern synthetics may be more applicable.

Bamashooter
August 5, 2012, 04:06 PM
If the rifle is clean prior to shooting and I dont shoot it very much on an outing I will simply lock the bolt back and using Q-tips and remoil I wipe the reciever area, front of bolt, bottom of bolt down until its clean and wipe off excess oil with clean Q-tip. For the barrel I just pull a bore snake thru it a few times til it looks clean.

If its been awhile since Ive cleaned it good or after a heavy usage range trip I will break it down and spray all the parts with rem-oil and let it soak for awhile. Wipe it down and apply 5-30 synthetic, let it sit for awhile then wipe it all down. For the barrel I use hoppes until its clean, then run a patch with mobil one synthetic oil down the barrel and let it sit for awhile. Clean the mobil one out of the barrel and its ready for re assembly and shooting.

Ive been doing this for a long time with my 10/22 and have never had any issues out of it. I use gunslick on some of my guns but I have yet to use or need to run my 10/22 with grease or oil all over the parts. Just my opinion, when I finish with mobile one synthetic and let it sit on the clean parts for awhile it seems to smooth it out and make everything run like its lubed.

SteelChickenShooter
August 6, 2012, 07:13 PM
You know I was just thinking. I should mention I have a small air compressor in the shop, and it really does help to blow out the dirty sprayed cleaner and residue as well as any extra oil. I spray down my 10-22 action, blow it out, spray it again, blow it out (cleaner), then spray a little RemOil. Followed by a good wipe.

Eghad
August 6, 2012, 08:59 PM
A light coat of oil goes a long way to heavy and you can create a condition which attracts dirt and grit.

cookie5
August 9, 2012, 07:09 PM
I have had my 10/22 since 1977 and I couldn't tell you the number of rounds it has had run through it. Last Christmas I had to replace the extractor because it wore out. I clean the rifle when it gets so cruded up that adding oil will not get it working. Most wear that a 22 gets is from over cleaning.