PDA

View Full Version : AR at the local Walmart - what kind?

bfskinnerpunk
July 31, 2012, 03:27 PM
Our local Walmart just started carrying ARs.

I asked the sales person about the brand names but nothing more specific. Now, I'm curious.

The had a Bushmaster, a Colt, and I forget the other. I believe the Colt was almost $1,000.

What specific model do you think it was?

More importantly, is the quality of workmanship in a bottom end Colt as good as their more expensive Colt ARs?

bfskinnerpunk
July 31, 2012, 03:32 PM
Ok, I just called and the lady could not answer my question about the model.

She said, "it's an M4 carbine and shoots 5.56 caliber". And it is actually $1097.

Any guesses about the model? ... and is it a midlength?...or does "Carbine" indicate that it's not a midlength?

Technosavant
July 31, 2012, 03:40 PM
I think I've seen a Sig M400 at Wally World, but I don't remember for sure. IIRC, it was one of their hunter models, but those have a longer barrel (usually not referred to as a carbine).

The quality of the "lower end" Colt is still pretty darn good. I wouldn't necessarily assume "carbine" is a reference to the gas system length... that's not usually incorporated into the naming of most mass market rifles.

Coltman 77
July 31, 2012, 03:41 PM
Colt 6920 most probably and worth the difference over the Bushmaster.

Quality is great, Colt builds all their M4's to mil spec standards and that's why Colt is the AR15 by which all others are judged.

bfskinnerpunk
July 31, 2012, 03:57 PM
Well, looking at similar priced Colts online, I see that Cheaper than Dirt has a model "6720" for $970 or so.

Don't know anything about that model. Wonder what makes them different.

Their cheapest 6920 ... some sort of Magpul model ... and is $1,133.

I've noticed that some people say "carbine" for the non-midlength AR 15 and .... and was thinking that the word "carbine" wasn't the right word. I'm not a big rifle guy... what do I know?

Are the 6920's midlength?

danco
July 31, 2012, 04:07 PM
All Colt rifles are carbine-length gas systems. They do not make mid-length or rifle gas systems (currently).

The $1097 price is a fairly typical retail price for a stock LE6920, which is stamped "M4 CARBINE" on the side.

It's an excellent weapon, and you will not regret picking one up...

~Dan

a7mmnut
July 31, 2012, 04:26 PM
They also carry Windham, Remington, Bushmaster, DPMS, and Sigs.

-7-

Sinlessorrow
July 31, 2012, 04:28 PM
Colt 6920 most probably and worth the difference over the Bushmaster.

Quality is great, Colt builds all their M4's to mil spec standards and that's why Colt is the AR15 by which all others are judged.

this Colt is the only company that can build civilian rifles using the TDP since they personally own the TDP. its also the 6920 that walmart carries which is the copy of the M4 but with a 16" barrel per ATF and no fun switch.

bfskinnerpunk
July 31, 2012, 04:38 PM
I thought the Windham was the new favorite out there. When I was at the store and asked the lady to name off the brand names, I was hoping to hear "Windham".... I heard someone saying that they were going to rebuild a gun cabinet while I was there. Maybe they are going to bring a Windham on board, soon.

Oh, and I just remembered that the other ARs were Sigs.... and I think one of the Sigs was a 22lr and so was one of the Colts.

Sinlessorrow
July 31, 2012, 04:48 PM
I thought the Windham was the new favorite out there. When I was at the store and asked the lady to name off the brand names, I was hoping to hear "Windham".... I heard someone saying that they were going to rebuild a gun cabinet while I was there. Maybe they are going to bring a Windham on board, soon.

Oh, and I just remembered that the other ARs were Sigs.... and I think one of the Sigs was a 22lr and so was one of the Colts.

Windham is just the old BM, not a good as Colt but not bad either.

CharlieDeltaJuliet
July 31, 2012, 05:05 PM
My local Walmart has the S&W M&P 15, the Colt, a Sig,and a slotfor the Bushmaster, it was sold out though.

RT
July 31, 2012, 05:10 PM
For that price, buy the Colt 6920. Seriously, don't waste your time with the other brands.

danco
July 31, 2012, 05:15 PM
^^ This

Quentin2
July 31, 2012, 07:45 PM
Well, looking at similar priced Colts online, I see that Cheaper than Dirt has a model "6720" for $970 or so.

Don't know anything about that model. Wonder what makes them different.

Their cheapest 6920 ... some sort of Magpul model ... and is $1,133.

I've noticed that some people say "carbine" for the non-midlength AR 15 and .... and was thinking that the word "carbine" wasn't the right word. I'm not a big rifle guy... what do I know?

Are the 6920's midlength?

The Colt 6720 has a 16" lightweight profile barrel, otherwise it's the same as the 6920. Neither has the midlength gas system, they have carbine length gas.

Looking at all brands out there you can find midlength and carbine length gas systems on AR-15 carbines (14.5" and 16" barrels).

That's a great price for a 6720! A fine choice. The only reason I never got one was because I wanted midlength gas so went with LW BCM and Daniel Defense uppers.

chris in va
July 31, 2012, 10:18 PM
The local WM had the 6920 for under $1000 a month ago. Something like $975.

bfskinnerpunk
August 1, 2012, 06:51 AM
So no one has any love for their Sig offerings?

Crow Hunter
August 1, 2012, 07:10 AM
So no one has any love for their Sig offerings?

Not for the price, especially since you can get the Colt 6920 for $1,097. Remember the 6920 is the standard by which the others are judged.

i.e. "Not as good as" or "better than".

If I were in the market for another, I would jump all over the ones for sale at my local Walmart. Those Colts are a freaking steal at that price. Up until fairly recently the going price for a Colt 6920 was $1,250 to $1,500 if you could even find them.

You will be very hard pressed to find a "just as good as" rifle for anywhere near the price.

bfskinnerpunk
August 1, 2012, 07:21 AM
Thanks Crow.

Man... those darn hand guards ... and that handle... make the darn thing look so cheap.

It looks like the handle just unbolts, but will need to learn how to get decent rails up front (preferring free float).

Quentin2
August 1, 2012, 09:03 AM
The carry handle does unbolt from the 6920. If you want rails, the sky's the limit. Or you can just go with $30 MOE handguards and get most of what you need.

Crow Hunter
August 1, 2012, 09:06 AM
Thanks Crow.

Man... those darn hand guards ... and that handle... make the darn thing look so cheap.

It looks like the handle just unbolts, but will need to learn how to get decent rails up front (preferring free float).

The handle is removable.

If you are really wanting free floated front rails, buy a rifle that comes with them. Changing them on a 6920 is easy to do, but kind of expensive. (I just added DD Omega rails to mine, $250 a set)

Now if you are just buying the rifle to bump fire or plink at the range, you really won't get much benefit out of free float rails.

It is a benefit if you want to be able to take accessories on and off and can use your sling as a shooting aid, without affecting your zero.

I did it to mine because I wanted to reduce the up front weight of my rifle and I was running a 6P with a Vltor scout mount and MI FSB mount. In switching to the DD Omega with a Surefire X300 it significantly improved the front heavy feel and I can even leave the light off when I take the rifle hunting to make it even lighter without affecting the POI of my rounds.

Eghad
August 1, 2012, 10:08 AM
For that price on the Colt you are not going to go wrong.

Quentin2
August 1, 2012, 10:29 AM
As Crow Hunter pointed out, there is a lot to think about when upgrading to rails. And too much to go into considering the topic of this thread. But I will say if you're wanting to go light weight, do consider the Colt 6720 over the 6920.

tulsamal
August 1, 2012, 11:13 AM
The big problem I would have with buying an AR-15 from my local WM isn't that "it's Walmart." It's that I would have to pay sales tax. And we are talking 9.5%. So that's $95 right there. Very hard to believe that I couldn't find that rifle cheaper somewhere else even with shipping and $20 FFL transfer fee included. VERY hard to believe.

Gregg

Quentin2
August 1, 2012, 11:17 AM
Ouch! :eek: 9.5% in OK?

Crow Hunter
August 1, 2012, 11:26 AM
Ouch! 9.5% in OK?

9.75% in TN +$10 for the TIC(k).:(

Quentin2
August 1, 2012, 11:29 AM
Man, I better not complain about ID then... 6.5%

Crow Hunter
August 1, 2012, 11:35 AM
Man, I better not complain about ID then... 6.5%

But we have no income tax. :cool:

Better than Mississippi where my wife is from. 6.5% sales tax with a 5% income tax and wheel tax based on value of the car and still the worst roads in the South. (And full of my in-laws)

:D

Sorry for the derail.