PDA

View Full Version : Rifle Assembly Kits

Panfisher
July 31, 2012, 02:51 PM
In my search for an AR I came across "Rifle Kits" from Palmetto State Armory. They appear to be a full AR-15 (various models) in piece form, which would obviously require assembly and shipping to a FFL Holder. Originally I had to desire to build one, but this looks intriguing as I like to work on stuff and their doesn't appear to be all that many pieces/parts. What $ worth of tools are required to assemble?

Creeper
July 31, 2012, 03:07 PM
The only thing you must get from a FFL is the lower... bare or assembled, as that is the "gun" component. Everything after that, you can get on line... and cheaper too, because you'll only need to pay state tax on the lower, assuming the remainder of parts come from out of state.

Not much for tools really... if you buy a completed upper (which can be shipped directly to your residence) all you really need are hand tools, some brass drifts, assorted punches, perhaps a specialized wrench or two, a inch lb. torque screwdriver... like a Wheeler FAT screwdriver, and one or two of many available "how to build an AR" manuals in book or CD form. Nothing terribly expensive.

Cheers,
C

sigcurious
July 31, 2012, 05:25 PM
Lower Guide (http://www.ar15.com/content/guides/assembly/lower/)

I used that guide to assemble my lower, it does a good job of explaining what tools are helpful but not needed and which ones are needed. The only deviation from that guide would be for an adjustable stock, but that portion is relatively simple. After putting mine together I realized you could do it with a little improvisation with stuff around the house, but having some of the specifics is very useful. The only tool that I would definitely get is a castle nut wrench.

You might spend $30-100+ on tools. Depending on how minimum you go.

Ridge_Runner_5
August 1, 2012, 06:32 PM
Palmetto's uppers are usually assembled. The lower can be built with a hammer and some pliers wrapped in electrical tape.

If you go fixed stock, you just need a screwdriver to install it. If collapsible, you'll need a castle nut wrench to mount it properly.

UtopiaTexasG19
August 1, 2012, 08:10 PM
Anyone with general common sense, average dexterity and enough brain power to follow directions can assemble a AR clone without any problems. I get amused when someone writes that they have "built" a AR. We are not building per se, we are assembling! :)

Creeper
August 1, 2012, 08:30 PM
We are not building per se, we are assembling!

Truth. There is more "building" in a model car kit than in a typical AR.
I would go one step further and say that, for a great many "builders", more time is spent choosing the parts than time spent assembling the gun.

C

Quentin2
August 1, 2012, 08:38 PM
Call it what you want but the hardest part of building an AR is assembling together the right parts in the first place. Get the right parts in front of you and then the build itself is easy.

Justice06RR
August 3, 2012, 02:17 AM
I'd say you only need about $100 or so for tools needed to assemble/build an AR. You would need a punch set, a vice/clamp, and an AR wrench. The rest of the tools you probably already have around the house.