PDA

View Full Version : I thought AKs were supposed to be reliable.

Pond, James Pond
July 31, 2012, 11:17 AM
In a not uncommon moment of idleness I found myself watching one of those Youtube compilations of c**k-ups and failures. The link is below. The bit in question is near the end.

Scroll to 3min 40secs. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBUUWdIArKE&feature=autoplay&list=PL6BD7250ED8CD4FC1&playnext=3)

Some guy of middle-eastern origin lets rip with an AK and it, well, disassembles in spectacular fashion and he looked quite sheepish for it, and much to the amusement of his buddy. He is literally left with a pistol grip in his hand that he promptly drops, looking bemused.

What the heck happened?
It happens very fast, and I assume it is a bona fide AK, not a variant, but still.

Some much for the indestructible gun!!! :eek:

cannonfire
July 31, 2012, 11:36 AM
Reading the comments someone suggested it could be part of Project Eldest Son. A US covert operation in Vietnam that placed exploding rounds into the communist ammo supply. I wonder if that what would have happened if you shot one of those rounds.
http://http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Eldest_Son#section_3

Tuzo
July 31, 2012, 11:59 AM
Two absolutely true reasons the AK blew apart:

1) He is a reloader and doubled the amount of powder in one cartridge. Also failed to visually check the powder level in each case.

2) Forgot to give the AK a mud and sand bath prior to shooting. Everyone knows that an AK thrives after mistreatment.

Mr Budha
July 31, 2012, 12:56 PM
Lol the AK blowing apart was almost as much fun as watching that little dog pester the big guy.

Husqvarna
July 31, 2012, 02:37 PM
maybe one of those handmade weapons from the ??-valley

FrosSsT
July 31, 2012, 04:25 PM
2) Forgot to give the AK a mud and sand bath prior to shooting. Everyone knows that an AK thrives after mistreatment.

lmaoooo

a7mmnut
July 31, 2012, 04:32 PM
....a well-worn locking lug?

-7-

Denezin
July 31, 2012, 04:43 PM
Nope ive saw that video. Its project eldest son as the second poster pointed out. The military leaves ammo surplus on the side of the road that has squibs in it. enemy picks em up and gets a squib or two locked real good then the next round destroys the gun.

DnPRK
July 31, 2012, 07:29 PM
Nope ive saw that video. Its project eldest son as the second poster pointed out. The military leaves ammo surplus on the side of the road that has squibs in it. enemy picks em up and gets a squib or two locked real good then the next round destroys the gun.
The problem with your theory is a squib will not cycle the action.

SurplusShooter
July 31, 2012, 07:42 PM
I am going to say it is most likly a Khyber Pass Pakistani copy. They are rifles made by hand in weapons shops made out of poor materials and improperly assembled. These weapons are not made to spec and have been known to leave out important rivets, barrel pins, and locking lugs.

myshoulderissore
July 31, 2012, 10:57 PM
Some much for the indestructible gun!!!

Nothing is indestructible... Most guns are generally reliable under most conditions, but problems can always arise, in a variety of ways. The same could be said for anything, really!

Remember this? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFwJR04qBys)

trg42wraglefragle
July 31, 2012, 11:36 PM
I don't think it was a problem with reloading.
He hardly looks like the type who would reload.

mrawesome22
August 1, 2012, 12:27 AM
^^^^ Picks up on sarcasm with the best of them! :p

sudo apt-get update

B.L.E.
August 1, 2012, 05:45 AM

Everything I researched on project eldest son indicates that we didn't salt the enemy's ammo supply with squibs but with rounds loaded with some sort of high explosive that produced 250,000 psi of chamber pressure which would kaboom the rifle, usually killing or maiming the shooter. We also left behind boobytrapped morter rounds that detonated in the tube killing the morter crews.

The fact that the shooter did not seem to get seriously injured indicates that the gun simply fell apart during firing. As someone else pointed out, a squib would not have cycled the action and the shooter would have needed to manually cycle the action before the kaboom.

MikeGunz
August 1, 2012, 07:11 AM
Project eldest son, wow never heard about that, very cool.

Who knows why that ak blew up, it was probably abused for 30 years and had enough.

Eghad
August 1, 2012, 10:25 AM
probably some kind of feeding malfunction.

bamaranger
August 1, 2012, 11:24 PM
I've seen the explodng insurgent AK vids, and mortars too. The 'Nam exploding ammo project came to mind, seems like the "Rifleman" did an article on the project, maybe I read it elsewhere.

Regards an "absolutely true" blow up of an AK due to a double charged, reloaded case. Nope. At least not as described by the poster. A typical x39 charge/ case holds about 25-30 grains of powder. The powder charge nearly fills the case. Heck, there's barely room for the projectile. There is no way, .....repeat,.... not possible,..... to double charge an x39 case with propellant and not know it. But....

All that applies to the correct propellant. Instead 25 grains of appropriate powder, ( say, RE7 a "rifle" powder) if one charged a case with 25 gr of Bullseye (a pistol powder) ... that would blow a gun.

Alas, there are some folks that don't trust reloads, period. But they pay more for their ammo than I do.

Sinlessorrow
August 2, 2012, 08:32 AM
Ak's are reliable, but not as reliable as the iternet would have you believe.

They are as reliable, maybe slightly more so than the current M4 which ibasically means you can easily go your whole life without ever having a stoppage.

The one thing that AK has in its favor is its magazine. The AK's use bomb proof mags that just work.

Until Pmags and Lancers came out GI mags have always been the weak link in the M16FOW. Gi mags have about a 50% chance of being crap or working fine , the AK mags always work.

Eghad
August 2, 2012, 10:51 PM
No telling how old that AK-47 was and how many hands it has been through nor if some home gun smith did some tinkering.

MagnumWill
August 3, 2012, 09:48 PM
The real question is - why are we putting so much emphasis on an unknown, undated and four second video with next to no information? Why waste time speculating? :p

Ignition Override
August 4, 2012, 01:32 AM
SurplusShooter:
Some Khyber Pass guns were probably seen in one of the interesting travel videos by Michael Palin, former Monty Python comedian (and "Fish Called Wanda" etc).

A short segment shows Michael walking through a long alleyway in northern or western Pakistan where numerous shops are building and testing copies of guns. He chats with a few people there.

raftman
August 4, 2012, 02:06 AM
... and I assume it is a bona fide AK, not a variant, but still.

Why exactly would you assume that? There's just as many clones in that part of the world as "bona fide" ones, maybe more; in fact if I were a betting man, I would sooner bet against it being an "original."

Some much for the indestructible gun!!!

If nothing else, AK's do tend to be durable and reliable and even the staunchest of AK detractors would be hard-pressed to argue with that. It's pretty easy to find pictures of exploded Glocks, that doesn't mean that every Glock is just a hand-grenade waiting to kaboom.

jason41987
August 4, 2012, 08:23 PM
ive always tried to tell people that think AKs can handle anything that its just myths.. they dont have superpowers, and many AKs in the world are not made to spec, and poorly made... this video does not suprise me... if it was a high explosive round, or double charge it probably would have injured the guy firing it.. it looks to me like the front trunnion or barrel assembly pulled off meaning either the rivets were weak, too small, not enough, or the barrel wasnt pinned which tells me this was probably some cheap AK out of someones basement

as for the AK, i do say my favorite feature is the magazine.. the way the magazine attaches gives you a much more reliable seat of the magazine, you dont have to slap the bottom to be sure its seated... you have leverage on your side when you clip it on the front and rock it back... its fail proof.. but also, the lack of a magwell allows you to use alternative magazines such as casket mags, drum mags, and even helical magazines (such as on the PP-19 bizon SMG)... although an M4s magazine is straight, even the 5.56mm has a bit of a taper to it and will want to curl in a magazine (i wish the sig 556 came with the AK-type magwell of the 552)

Crow Hunter
August 5, 2012, 12:19 PM
as for the AK, i do say my favorite feature is the magazine.. the way the magazine attaches gives you a much more reliable seat of the magazine, you dont have to slap the bottom to be sure its seated... you have leverage on your side when you clip it on the front and rock it back... its fail proof..

I would disagree with you highly on that point.

It my experience it is fail prone, rather than "fail proof".

It is extremely difficult to get a good latch from prone position. It is longer and it requires more room than a shove in magazine well.

If you get in a hurry and do not get the rib on the front of the magazine high enough when you use that mechanical advantage to latch the magazine in place, it will jam the magazine in the well and it will not feed correctly. It will require you to bash the magazine pretty hard to get it out. You can't tell you have done it until you get a feed jam. This is extremely easy to do, especially when you are trying to go fast or from prone.

I have owned and shot an AK since 1997 (A Polytech AKS) and the push in magazine is significantly superior.

The magazine feed lips are superior though. They are extremely strong compared to a STANAG magazine.

Stevie-Ray
August 5, 2012, 04:03 PM
If nothing else, AK's do tend to be durable and reliable and even the staunchest of AK detractors would be hard-pressed to argue with that.Same thing applies to Hi-Points............

essohbe
August 5, 2012, 06:42 PM
Bad headspacing?
I don't know. Looks like it blew apart at the breech in the barrel trunion.

jason41987
August 5, 2012, 08:20 PM
actually.. it looks like the trunnion was intact with the front part of the receiver... looks like the receiver tore in half itself... which makes me thing perhaps sub-standard metal may have been used to make the receiver itself... as the receiver itself shattered, that tells me the sheet metal was VERY brittle

raftman
August 6, 2012, 01:48 AM
Same thing applies to Hi-Points............

What we have here is a failure to establish relevance.

Double Naught Spy
August 6, 2012, 07:39 AM
I thought AKs were supposed to be reliable.

Well if one gun fails of a given variety, never mind the countless countries and companies that make them, then they all much be unreliable.

The gun in the video was reliable. It reliably blew apart when its tolerances were exceeded.