PDA

View Full Version : 75 Round Romanian Top Loading Drum Magazine Review

plouffedaddy
July 30, 2012, 12:07 PM
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l178/tiffani33/Guns/IMAG1310.jpg

First thing's first––-who really needs a 75 round drum magazine?!?! Anyone who wants to have a lot fun, that's who!

I picked these top loaders up from Apex about a month ago and the one in the video below was the one in the 'worst' condition but as you can see it's still in great shape for a surplus mag. There's a lot of controversy out on the forums about whether these are of Romanian or of Russian origin; I'll leave that to the magazine experts. I know they were issued to Romanian RPK gunners.... Other than that all I know is that they work well and there's lots of fun.

Pros:
-100% reliable in 4 rifles I've tried them in so far
-Heavy (helps absorb recoil)
-Capacity
-Mil spec quality construction
-Relatively inexpensive now (I got mine for $79, but over the years they've been over $120)
-Great design; much easier to load than the wind up mags

Cons:
-Heavy (can be a pro or con depending on intended use)
-Tough to load after 40 or 50 rounds

Here's a video of me shooting a couple rounds through my Draco and then I break them down and cover some of the pros and cons.

Drum Magazine Review Video Link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDA8Hf5OMZs)

Vermonter
July 30, 2012, 08:34 PM
Now I am considering an AK just because well yours looked cool. :eek:

Nice review

AKsRul.e
July 31, 2012, 02:02 AM
The soviets and the romanians both made top load drums.

the Soviet drums will have russian markings ;)

plouffedaddy
July 31, 2012, 11:03 AM
The soviets and the romanians both made top load drums.

the Soviet drums will have russian markings

...As I'm guessing you know, that's the controversy right there. Many people think the Ruskies just sent the drums to Romania, had them scrubbed and stored for 5 years, then exported them to the US to get around import rules. Like I said earlier, doesn't matter a lick to me either way :D