PDA

View Full Version : finally gettin a .22LR!!

customaquatics
July 28, 2012, 06:40 PM
since it is un-american to own a .22 LR lol an every gun collection is un-complete without one ima buy one. i was looking at the Marlin 60 an the Ruger 10/22. im wanting long term reliability an accuracy. here the Marlin is like $170 an the Ruger is $200.

Microgunner
July 28, 2012, 06:53 PM
The Ruger is the better choice for no other reason than after market support.
They both will shoot well enough.

POKEYJOE04
July 28, 2012, 07:11 PM
I have both. You can't go wrong with either one.

JoeDorn
July 28, 2012, 09:53 PM
Customaquatics..........

"since it is un-american to own a .22 LR lol an every gun collection is un-complete without one ima buy one. i was looking at the Marlin 60 an the Ruger 10/22. im wanting long term reliability an accuracy. here the Marlin is like $170 an the Ruger is $200. "

Could you translate that to old people English?

customaquatics
July 29, 2012, 08:14 AM
? i don't think i can make that easier to understand.

Microgunner
July 29, 2012, 08:30 AM
Could you translate that to old people English?

Yeah, I figure he meant to say

"since it is un-american to NOT own a .22 LR lol and every gun collection is incomplete without one im going to buy one."

My emphasis.

customaquatics
July 29, 2012, 08:38 AM
ya what he said/

Eghad
July 29, 2012, 10:10 AM
I have my bolt action Marlin .22 I bought back in 75 and My Ruger 10/22 for about 30 years. The accuracy out of the box is the 10/22 is great. Plus there is always the upgrading you can do yourself.

Rogervzv
July 29, 2012, 10:36 AM
Yeah, I figure he meant to say

"since it is un-american to NOT own a .22 LR lol and every gun collection is incomplete without one im going to buy one."

My emphasis.

LOL ... can't go wrong with a Ruger 10/22.

Nathan
July 29, 2012, 11:02 AM
Lett me take a final stab at the translation here. . .I have a daughter who writes like that. . .

since it is un-american to own a .22 LR lol an every gun collection is un-complete without one ima buy one. i was looking at the Marlin 60 an the Ruger 10/22. im wanting long term reliability an accuracy. here the Marlin is like $170 an the Ruger is $200.

Since it is un-American to not have a 22 lr [laughing out loud] in every complete gun collection, I would like to buy one. I am looking at the Marlin model 60 or the Ruger 10/22. I want it to be accurate and have good long term reliability. Where I live, the Marlin price is about $170 and the Ruger is about $200.

<added by translator> The original author is surely studying English as we speak to get to a level where he or she can share information, written and oral, effectively with the general public in the United States.

Frankly, I like the 10/22 because I can add the features to make it what I want. If you are ok with 1 - 1.5 in accuracy at 50 yards, either will probably be fine.

Charles S
July 29, 2012, 06:40 PM
I will try to communicate effectively :)

For a long time I looked down on the 22 and really only used to 22 as a cheap avenue of practice. My first 22 was a Ruger 22/45 that literally has thousands of rounds through it. As I have aged, I find the pleasure of shooting a 22, I first experienced as a child has again surfaced, coupled with the fact that my children, step children, and wife all enjoy shooting a gun that is accurate, and has minimal report and recoil makes the 22 something I am spending more time with.

The Ruger 10/22 is excellent with an enormous amount of after market accessories and can be tuned to be more accurate than I am personally capable of. I recently bought the Ruger 10/22 takedown, and am currently having a little work done on it.

I love the idea of a bolt action 22 and will purchase the new Savage Mark II 22 FV-SR next week.

Once you have a 22 long rifle, take a look at the 22 Mag or the 17s, great fun, easy to shoot, in small, and affordable packages.

I would recommend the Ruger 10/22. Good luck.

Shane Tuttle
July 29, 2012, 08:10 PM
I bought two Marlin 795s. Used them for Appleseed. I only chose them over buying two 10/22s because I wanted something somewhat less common than a 10/22. Everybody and their freakin' dog has one. Seems like the Glocks of .22lr semi-auto rifle budget world. They're inexpensive, reliable, and aftermarket parts are everywhere.

There are some aftermarket parts for the 795. They are less expensive. But after the Appleseed event, I found out the hard way some work is needed to get them to work reliably after several hundred rounds between cleanings. They worked fine for the first 100-150 rounds. After that, one of them had extracting/feeding/firing issues. All can be resolved after a detailed disassembly followed by cleaning and polishing some parts (at least I was advised they would).

My recommendation if you're on a budget is to stick with the 10/22. If you're willing to spend more, then I would consider what specific uses you're wanting out of the rifle. There are other rifles I'd recommend over these two.

stratojunkie
July 29, 2012, 10:37 PM
I have both also and yes the Ruger 10/22 is certainly more popular and after market support is better, but I shoot the Marlin 60 more often, if I only pack one 22 it will be the Marlin every time. No scope is the way to go on the model 60.

house
July 29, 2012, 10:48 PM
Can't go wrong with either. I my self also own both rifles.

spacecoast
July 30, 2012, 10:46 AM
How can you misspell "and" four times in four semi-sentences? Has our culture completely lost the need for punctuation? Please tell us you are not a native English speaker... please...

I have a Henry lever action .22 as well as a Marlin bolt action (model 925 I think) and like both very much. I haven't found the perfect ammo yet for the Marlin, but the Henry is a tack driver with CCI mini-mags, and holds 15 rounds.

chris in va
July 30, 2012, 01:26 PM
My Henry is absurdly fun. Try shooting it from the hip sometime, makes you feel like Chuck Connors.:p

Water-Man
July 30, 2012, 03:40 PM
The Marlin 60. Less expensive and usually more accurate out of the box than the Ruger.

bgdv1
July 30, 2012, 06:27 PM
i have 2 ruger 10/22's and a s&w m&p15-22 both 10/22's are very accurate and the s&w is just fun to shoot.

customaquatics
July 30, 2012, 06:31 PM
i will say i did have a M&P 15-22 with the non threaded barrel, i liked it but i traded it for my AR i have now. im lookin for more of a classic look now with the wooden stock.