PDA

View Full Version : M-1 Carbine mag choice

celtgun
July 27, 2012, 12:01 PM
Which M-1 carbine magazine would you suggest?
Are the Auto-Mags dependable?
Don't see the mil-surps like you once did.

Shoot and pray daily.
Lee Jones (Celtgun)

gak
July 27, 2012, 12:33 PM
I can't say about the Auto Mags, but the newer Korean fare is said to actually be quite good, approaching or equalling (in claim) the GI's "finally," and are equipped with last round-bolt open feature. I've got some I've yet to try. Unless you're in a 10 rd state (I didn't look), I'd still stick with 15s vs 30s...more carbines like 'em better/more consistently regardless of make, but YMMV--some folks" carbines run 'em fine. Like a lot of things, they can have their own personalities as to what they like (and helps to have the post war/Korean War refit M2 mag catch as well regardless). First/most reliable go-to is almost always GI mags when you can get them.

EDIT: I'd actually throw this question back out there for those who know. What Korean mags (brands/distributors/ vendors etc) are better than others--or does it matter. I.e., are they all the same now?

kraigwy
July 27, 2012, 12:42 PM
I have several USGI mags for my CMP Carbine. I got most from the CMP when they had them and I've picked them up at gun shows when I see them.

I have never had a problem with the USGI magazines.

I'd just shop around for USGI.

I'm pretty picky about magazines for all my rifles and pistols.

amd6547
July 27, 2012, 01:44 PM
I have both 15 and 30 round Korean mags, and they have worked perfectly in my CMP GI Inland carbine. I did add the M2 mag catch, just because it's easy, and I found one cheap at the gun show. But I did use the 30's in my carbine before I added it, and it still worked fine.
GI mags are always good, and easy to find in the 15rd version. GI 30's are valuable collector items, hard to find, and subject to counterfeit.

DougW
July 27, 2012, 09:02 PM
I have a bunch of the USGI 15 rounders that work flawlessly in my Auto Ordnance Carbine. I have 2 older Korean 30 rounders that are iffy, so they only do range time.

madcratebuilder
July 28, 2012, 06:22 AM
I don't like the 30 rd mags myself. You can find usgi on Gunbroker.

GI Joe
July 28, 2012, 07:28 PM
http://whatacountry.com/m1carbine.aspx

I ordered 5 of these and they work great in my Auto Ordnance carbines. Despite the picture, none of mine had more than a few blotches of rust here and there.