PDA

View Full Version : Mossberg MMR Hunter

varmit_hunter
July 25, 2012, 04:50 PM
As anybody shot one of these rifles . I look at one today. Is ch:)ambered in 5.56mm NATO (.223 Rem) rifle feature a traditional direct impingement gas system free floating button rifled carbon steel barrel single stage trigger 1:9 twist barrel 20 inch barrel. Black phosphate/anodize metal finishes for enhanced durability. I am new to a ar I have only shot one a few times. Will only be used for coyote hunting only. I don't have alot of money right now to put into one. I can get it for 630.00 would this be a good starter ar just for shooting coyotes predator hunting. Please let me know what you know about this rifle. I am new to a ar. Wont use it alot. I use a 22 250 most of the time ty Richard.

varmit_hunter
July 28, 2012, 02:29 AM
Hasn't anybody shot one? Do u think they will hold up? I will just line it in when I get one and the only time I will shoot it will be at a predator.

RT
July 28, 2012, 01:41 PM
I don't know what your max price point is, but I think there are a plethora of better choices than the MMR.

10-96
July 28, 2012, 05:46 PM
RT may be spot on. There was a guy on here a month or so back that posted his experience with one he has. It was not a very encouraging report at all.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=493077
I think this be the thread.

varmit_hunter
July 29, 2012, 02:37 AM
Thanks man I wanted one but not if its doing that. My friend has a s and w map sporter he said to buy it. Did the guy that had the mnemonics get it to shoot anybetter. Plus I want one with sights.

10-96
July 29, 2012, 05:21 PM
Did the guy that had the mnemonics get it to shoot anybetter. Beats me, the gentleman never got back to us as to whether it did or not. I wish he lived closer to where I am, the more I think about it- the more I suspect the problem can be remedied in my humble little work area.

If you can't find a complete one that you like, don't be affraid to buy a complete upper and lower and put the two together. I don't consider that a "build" but it's too easy and I've never had one fail by doing that.

My last one, I went with a used DPMS A2 lower and a 20" A3 Upper from RGuns.com. Their on line reputation for friendliness isn't great, but their shipping was fast and I never had to have any telephone contact with them.

Anyhow, the finish colors don't exactly match between the DPMS and the RGuns, but I don't care about such trivial issues. I ordered a plain walnut stock, grip, and handguard set from Precision Arms added a few coats of tung oil just to tickle my fancy- and called it good.

I ordered the carry handle AND a scope and one-piece mount. Sighted in and broke-in with 50 rounds. I had planned on more, but time and circumstances didn't allow. The next weekend, my M1A wasn't up for a match, so I hauled the wood stocked AR- shot a 387. Got my sight dope down and three weeks later shot another match with it and rung in a 452. Not bad for an aging half crippled guy with iron sights with only 150 rounds through it to date. Oh, the only things I upgraded was a Rock River Arms 2-Stage trigger and a Nat'l Match front sight post.