PDA

View Full Version : AK rifle for around $700?

Martian_Summer
July 23, 2012, 07:23 PM
Went to the gun shop today intending to buy the S&W M&P15 Sport. They were selling it for $700. The fact that it lacks a forward assist and a dust cover (not to mention a chrome lined barrel) contribute to the low price. My buddy who went with me ended up talking me out of it because it simply doesn't pay to cheap out when it comes to guns, and I would end up regretting it in the long run.

He's probably right, and it got me thinking. I could probably buy a decent AK platform rifle for what I would have spent on a cheap AR.

So yeah, do you guys have any idea of a good AK (besides a WASR 10) that can be purchased for anywhere in the $700 range?

Thanks a lot in advance.

plouffedaddy
July 23, 2012, 07:34 PM
What caliber are you looking for? Waffen Werks 74's are great rifles for around $700....

Martian_Summer
July 23, 2012, 07:45 PM
"What caliber are you looking for? Waffen Werks 74's are great rifles for around $700.... "

762 x 39.

Haven't heard of Waffen Werks before. I'll check them out. Thanks.

ronl
July 23, 2012, 08:16 PM
A friend of mine just bought a NIB Arsenal SGL-21 for $750. Fine weapon. That's not much more than what you wanted to pay, and you have a top notch AK.

Martian_Summer
July 23, 2012, 08:37 PM
Yeah. Arsenal seems to be one I keep looking at. I have literally zero experience with semi auto rifles, so whatever help is appreciated.

FrosSsT
July 23, 2012, 08:45 PM
I would go with an Arsenal AK clone for quality - they are as close as you can get to the real deal from what I have read. Got to ask though, what is wrong with the WASR? I own one (10/63) and it is just as reliable as the Arsenal. Dont believe everything you hear on the internet - especially with guns.

Martian_Summer
July 23, 2012, 08:52 PM
"Got to ask though, what is wrong with the WASR?"

Honestly, I have no idea. My only experience is being advised against it buy a couple people who have owned them. Something about poor fit and finish.

Auto426
July 23, 2012, 09:59 PM
I just bought a Waffen Werks AK-74 from Atlantic Firearms for right at $700. Unfortunately I don't have it in my possession yet, as some bad weather in my area held up the Fedex delivery to my LGS. I will be picking it up tomorrow though.

After a good bit of searching online I found a lot of mixed reviews on many of the lower end AK's, but I couldn't find anything bad about Waffen Werk's rifles. They have a reputation for top notch build quality and they use a finish that's more durable than most of their competitors, including Arsenal. The price isn't bad either.

Unfortunately they only make 5.45 AK's at this time, which is either a good or bad thing depending on how you look at it. Surplus ammo is extremely cheap and not hard to come by, but quality surplus magazines are expensive and somewhat hard to find. On the other hand 7.62x39 mags are cheap and plentiful, but almost all of the surplus ammo has dried up and you are left with commercial Russian stuff which is more expensive.

Quentin2
July 24, 2012, 12:10 AM
"Got to ask though, what is wrong with the WASR?"

Honestly, I have no idea. My only experience is being advised against it buy a couple people who have owned them. Something about poor fit and finish.

I bet if you talk to more WASR owners you'll find more that like 'em than not. I've had mine for over five years and still pleased with it. As far as poor fit and finish, well after all we're not talking HK, we're talking AK! :p For me it's hard to justify a $700 AK when you can get the reliable WASR or Saiga for hundreds less.

BTW, the S&W Sport is a pretty good entry level AR that doesn't disappoint.

plouffedaddy
July 24, 2012, 06:41 AM
I love WASRs :D As long as they're inspected---tough to go wrong.

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l178/tiffani33/Guns/DSC01632.jpg
Back to the OP---if you are going to keep your budget at $700, any of the combloc AKs will work extremely well and have a very durable barrel---WASRs, Maadi's, Yugos, and most of the Polish guns are great. That said, if you raise your budget by $100 I'd go with the SGL 21.
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l178/tiffani33/Guns/IMAG1239.jpg

chadio
July 24, 2012, 11:50 AM
The Century / converted Saiga 7.62x39 (to me) shoulders really nice, has a good reputation, about $600.

RetiredMajor
July 24, 2012, 01:28 PM
I own an M&P15 Sport and WASR AK 47 (Romanian). I love both guns. The Sport is a very nice gun and a great value. I spent 21 years in the Army and don't feel undergunned with the Sport. I have about a thousand rounds though mine with zero issues. The gun is very accurate, too. The lack of dust cover and forward assist is meaningless to me. Nutnfancy does a nice You Tube video on the gun here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YdpE6Lpw9E

My WASR is sweet, too! It actually looks nice and I wanted to own the iconic firearm in a version you might see on the steet in Iraq or Afghanistan, nothing fancy. It's also been very reliable.

Between the two, the Sport is a nicer gun, better manufacturing process and fit and finish, better warranty, too. It's also more accurate.

Hey, buy both....eventually!
Good luck,
Major

MikeGunz
July 24, 2012, 02:39 PM
I wouldn't buy a wasr online, you definitely need to check for canted sites, and the finish before buying them. At at my LGS's there not even that cheap anymore at around $600. Id fork out a couple hundred more and just with an arsenal ak or another respectable brand. been hearing a lot of good thing about these amd 65's.
http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/storeproduct446.aspx

essohbe
July 24, 2012, 10:39 PM
+1 for Atlantic. I got my 5,45 from them.

I have a WASR also and I have no complaints about it. Nothing is canted or crooked. The 10/63 I have has a chrome lined barrel and gasblock as well.