PDA

View Full Version : Got an answer from Ruger...

azmark
July 22, 2012, 09:19 PM
They told me that they don't recommend using anything but American made brass case ammo in their Minis.

What experiences have Mini 14 owners had with different kinds of ammo?* There are foreign made rounds that are boxer primed, brass cased and non-corrosive.* Even Hornady makes steel-cased practice ammo.

DnPRK
July 22, 2012, 09:50 PM
Hornady steel match ammo is the exception when it comes to steel case ammo. Most steel case ammo is from eastern Europe or Russia and can be wildly inconsistent due to variations in bullet and powder weights. Some eastern European ammo has mildly corrosive primers which can rust your Mini-14's bore, gas pipe and slide.

Axelwik
July 23, 2012, 09:08 PM
One of the several reasons I got an SKS instead of the Mini-Thirty. The SKS happily munches through anything you put through it.

scottd913
July 23, 2012, 10:54 PM
i second that remark about the sks its kinda like a timex ... takes a licking and keeps on ticking

the rifleer
July 24, 2012, 04:43 PM
I mostly shoot brass, but i do shoot some steel ammo in my mini 14. It shot it just fine. The one and only time i've ever had a malfunction was with brass ammo, but I think it was because the ammo was loaded incorrectly in the magazine.