PDA

View Full Version : AR for a NOOB

R.Lynn
July 21, 2012, 09:35 PM
I went and looked at the AR's in Academy this afternoon. I know nothing about AR's except that I want one all of the sudden after never really having any interest. Anyway, I looked at several and decided I like the Sig M400. It was right at $1K.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks

TXAZ
July 21, 2012, 09:38 PM
Go with a 'gun friend' and find a used one. You'll have much less invested and can learn as you go.

DMZX
July 21, 2012, 09:41 PM
I am not familiar with the Sig M400. But it looks like a solid, basic AR platform.

Go for it.

R.Lynn
July 21, 2012, 10:28 PM
Before looking around at Academy I was looking at a Palmetto State Armory Patrol rifle package. In your opinion which one is better?

Acc371
July 21, 2012, 10:56 PM
What are your uses for it?

Quentin2
July 22, 2012, 12:03 AM
Noobs shouldn't buy an AR! :p Spend some time getting up to speed on what's available and determining your applications. This could take some time but you'll be much better prepared to pick a great AR. And you'll be glad you invested the time.

BTW, PSA is a great choice budget wise. But you still must choose the right model for your needs.

customaquatics
July 22, 2012, 06:08 AM
with the PSA's they come with 1-7 twist so your able to shoot the heavier grain rounds.

R.Lynn
July 22, 2012, 07:20 AM
Noobs shouldn't buy an AR! Spend some time getting up to speed on what's available and determining your applications. This could take some time but you'll be much better prepared to pick a great AR. And you'll be glad you invested the time

I've had a Mini 14 for about five years and for the most part all I've done with it is shoot targets. It's been hunting a couple times. I have been reloading 223 for the mini and it's no bueno. It slings brass about a quarter mile and puts a big dent in the side of the brass. So I guess I'm looking for a better tool to shoot my reloads with.

RT
July 22, 2012, 07:59 AM
COLT-LE6920- $969.00
http://www.gtdist.com/ProductDetail.aspx?PartNumber=COLT-LE6920

SamNavy
July 22, 2012, 08:00 AM
I'm thinking that you are probably looking at more of a "Varmint" style gun... full-length gas system, and a longer heavy barrel.

Every manufacturer will have a varmint style in most lengths.

Rock River, PSA, Bravo Company, Stag, etc... all sell Varmint uppers.

For your lower, it's good advice to spend some coin on a trigger and a stock/grip that really fits you. You can do a great target-shooting rifle for under $1000, the biggest variable will be how much you spend on a trigger. That Sig is a battle-rifle and makes a lot of compromises for just shooting off the bench. Of course YMMV when selecting optics.

Just a thought... how about a bolt-action .223 if you're just looking to work up ammo?

Here's a pretty good thread over at ar15.com to get you started on the varmint style.
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/933799_Show_me_your_varmint_ARandapos_s_.html

Something like this is what I'm talking about:
http://www.snipercentral.com/images/reviews/rra1.jpg

plouffedaddy
July 22, 2012, 08:40 AM
I like the Sig M400. It was right at $1K.

Unfortunately the M400 is one of the few ARs I've ever used that was very unreliable. It belonged to one of my friends and he brought it to me to see if I could diagnose the issues.... Bottom line--it was undergassed and no ammo/buffer combo would fix it. Went back to SIG.

That said, I've seen/owned tons of ARs and the $600 and $2000 ones generally all run great. If you're willing to drop 1k, I recommend going with one of Colt's Magpul 6920s. It's got everything you'll need from the factory. You really can't go wrong with a Colt (I'm not a Colt kool-aid drinker) and if you don't know much about ARs it's a fool-proof choice.

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l178/tiffani33/Guns/IMAG1338.jpg

That said, I have several PSA rifles that cost a few hundred dollars less and run just as great. Lots of great options out there.
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l178/tiffani33/Guns/IMAG1129.jpg

Edward429451
July 22, 2012, 11:46 AM
To TXAZ

ربما كنت مجرد ليست مخيفة بما يكفي؟

:D

Carne Frio
July 22, 2012, 01:25 PM
See Post # 9. I have one with the MOE furniture.
Is is Colt quality, reliable and has good resale
value. Here is something to look over before you
buy something:

http://forums.officer.com/t81462/

Blindmike
July 22, 2012, 01:54 PM
Wow, 1k for a gun and you just got the hots for one. Please don't make such a mistake. There are a bunch of great guns for way under 1k and if you find you fall out of love like you have fallen in it will sale fast. Of course it is always wonderful to have someone new to join the AR brotherhood so as a brother let me just say this look at the new Mossberg AR's. The Mossberg's are well made and you get a lot for the money. Next would be a S&W MP I have owned one and it was wonderful. I think it is best with the S&W to go with the optics ready modal so you can get some sights you like best and 1 or 2 hundred rounds of ammo, it goes fast when you are having fun. Just start out slow and learn with something that is a fine but not a costly AR. Plus the fun is getting all the goodies to custom your own AR and they will move right over to any upgrade AR you purchase later.

toppermost
July 22, 2012, 03:25 PM
I'm not expert by any means but I say: If you are going to spend $1000 up front, save up a little more and get an HK416 (google it).

update: The civilian version is the "MR556."

RT
July 22, 2012, 07:31 PM
^ What do you mean "a little more"? Hk rifles are going for around $3k

Justice06RR
July 23, 2012, 12:10 AM
If you have $1k to spare on an AR15, start with Colt or BCM. they are about at the same price point.

Or you can save a couple hundred dollars and get a Spike's Tactical or PSA, and use the money you save for ammo or accesories.

riggins_83
July 23, 2012, 01:36 AM
Around that price range BCM and Rock River arms would be my personal favorites; all depends how you want the rifle setup.

chris in va
July 23, 2012, 02:23 PM
My $640 Sport does everything I need it to do. 2800 reloads downrange now.

Fargazer
July 24, 2012, 10:44 PM
If you're willing to drop 1k, I recommend going with one of Colt's Magpul 6920s
I purchased one of these on the recommendation of my LGS owner, and have been very pleased - no issues at all with any ammo I've used. I've also heard very positive feedback on the S&W AR-15s.

You didn't mention anything about optics, so I'm going to assume your budget is strictly for the gun itself.