PDA

View Full Version : Why do I need an AR ???

jambrdly
July 18, 2012, 06:25 PM
Why is an AR or an M1a superior to a regular old Remington 7400 for an apocalypse-is-coming-anytime-now rifle? Are they really that much sturdier or more accurate?

Jo6pak
July 18, 2012, 06:33 PM
Stick with the old 7400, when the apocolypse gets here, there will be plenty of ARs lying around:D

'88Scrat
July 18, 2012, 06:35 PM
Personal preferance I suppose but I'll take my M1A over both.

jmr40
July 18, 2012, 06:46 PM
Are they really that much sturdier or more accurate?

YES!!!

plouffedaddy
July 18, 2012, 07:07 PM
They have the potential to be much more accurate, that's for sure. The big advantage of the AR is that it's a 'jack of all trades' rifle. It can be used effectively for HD, hunting, competitions, ect....

That said, there's certainly nothing wrong with your 7400.

johnbt
July 18, 2012, 07:12 PM
"Why do I need an AR ?"

So you'll be really familiar with how it works if you ever need to use one.

What kind are you going to get? :)

Quentin2
July 18, 2012, 07:20 PM
You can use whatever you want but you're missing out if you don't try out an AR.

Botswana
July 18, 2012, 07:30 PM
EDIT - Nevermind, didn't know much about the Remington 7400 before I posted. Not sure my recommendation was all that good.

My general rule is reliability above all else, at least for a weapon I might count on for defense. The 7400 might be fine for hunting but not so sure I'd trust my family's lives to it.

BillM
July 18, 2012, 07:42 PM
Here's a link that may provide a bit of insight for your decision:

http://www.everydaynodaysoff.com/2009/12/30/pros-and-cons-of-possible-shtf-rifle-choices/

jmr40
July 18, 2012, 08:09 PM
I'm not concerned with an apocalypse. As another poster noted, if that actually happens there will be plenty lying around. My AR's are the most versatile, useful guns I own. They are accurate, right with my best bolt rifles. Ammo is dirt cheap. Recoil is almost non-existant, around 3-4 ft lbs compared to 17-18 ft lb in a 308. Lightweight and compact with a 16" barrel and a telscoping stock.

Powerful enough for 99% of my needs. Don't let anyone tell you they are not a more than adequate SD round. They have made the shotgun obsolete in LE and military applications. Plenty of power for deer sized game. Today's prices are quite resonable, about the same as a new Remington 750, which is the newer version of your 7400.

Far, far, more reliable and accurate than a 7400. The 7400's are high maintenence guns that require an awful lot of TLC just to keep them running. Put one in a harsh environment or try to shoot more than 4-5 shots in fairly rapid rate and they will fail rather quiclky. They just weren't designed for that. A 7400 would be about the last gun on my list for a survival, SD rifle. A good bolt rifle in 308, something along the lines of the Ruger Scout rifle would not be a bad choice if you wanted something larger than 223.

Edward429451
July 18, 2012, 08:14 PM
The 7400 will do in a pinch. Keep in mind that the Military Rifles are designed for a very high round count, whereas the 7400 is not. I'm not bashing the 7400 at all, I like them, but they're not a service rifle and will not hold up over time to the same things that the ARs & M1As will. If you want to practice a bunch, get an AR in 223 and keep the 7400 for hunting.

You need an AR because ammo and parts and mags are everywhere now, plus it's sorta like owning an American Flag in my opinion.

chris in va
July 18, 2012, 09:05 PM
AR's are fun toys. Mostly.

And yes I have one.:cool:

Justice06RR
July 18, 2012, 10:43 PM
You need an AR because they are fun, and also very purposeful rifles that will serve many uses. There is nothing wrong with jumping on the bandwagon, and there will be plenty of parts for you to choose from depending on your preferences and purpose.

Addler
July 18, 2012, 11:17 PM
You actually need a 22 caliber replica of an AR rifle.....There are several very nice dedicated 22 caliber brand names on the market........The feel is similar and often you have to look hard to tell the difference from the real thing.

I sold my two AR 15s and two AK 47s and switched to 22 caliber.....I save a lot of money as I often shoot several hundred to over a thousand rounds when I go to the range with the grand kids...

The grand kids enjoy the looks of the 22s and are happy that they don't have to put up with the recoil and noise of the bigger calibers.

bacardisteve
July 19, 2012, 02:44 AM
You dont need an AR. I carried one for six years in the military and have no inclination to get one. I do have an m1a,Fal and two M1 Garnad's that can do everything an ar will and more. Your 7400 might work in a pinch but have you ever tried rapid fire with it? Mine wouldnt cycle if I tried to fire it as fast as I could. Maybe it was just mine who knows.

darkgael
July 19, 2012, 05:06 AM
Why do you need an AR?
If you have to ask that question, you probably don't.
That being said, my AR is, as another poster already noted about his own, one of the most versatile firearms that I own.
Durable, reliable, wildly accurate, cheap to feed, easy to work on.
Pete

one4gatr
July 19, 2012, 05:53 AM
BillM....

Now thats a pretty funny site!

jason_iowa
July 19, 2012, 05:59 AM
Ya don't. I go back and forth on getting one. I don't care for the 5.56 the M1A is superior in 7.62nato imo. For what you pay you just don't get that much rifle. I have enough AK 47 and 74s and enough ammo for each to arm the neighborhood they are much better combat rifles then the AR in my experience. I would get one for punching paper or shooting pdogs if I could pick one up for a couple hundred bucks but for 600-thousands its not worth it.

M14 is the best battle rifle ever made imo and well worth the money. To each his own I guess lots of people like the black guns.

Willie Lowman
July 19, 2012, 09:37 AM
The End Of The World As We Know It (TEOTWAWKI), AKA: SHTF or Doomsday threads and Zombie threads

for an apocalypse-is-coming-anytime-now rifle?

I see we have another Stupid Homicidial Teenager's Fantasy thread.

Lemmon
July 19, 2012, 01:32 PM
I did not need one either. Had an old Browning "BAR" 30-06 that my friend wore out but still worked fine. Stripped the scope and replaced the iron sights and it works like a champ. Great for taking with me in the rack in my pick up truck. Don't need 30 round clip. I think 5 rounds of 220 grain round nose 30 cal caliber bullets will stop most anything around rural SC.

I did break down and bought/built a lower. Purchased a dedicated upper for 22LR and that has been a lot of fun. I now have 223/5.56 uppers also but rarely shoot them over the little 22LR.

Having fun in SC....

Lemmon

MuzzleBlast
July 20, 2012, 02:26 PM
What does "need" have to do with it?

JKHolman
July 20, 2012, 06:57 PM
Bill M's contribution is the best part of this thread. I have never been so insulted and ridiculed about my firearms as this. I laughed until there were tears in my eyes.
Guys, you owe it to yourselves to read Bill M's flyer. It may even be funnier than the one on the:
AR15/AK-47/Mosin Nagant piece.

Bill M, you are a riot. Thanks for the laughs.

- JKHolman

USMCGrunt
July 20, 2012, 09:54 PM
Personally, I despise the Remington 7400 with every fiber of my being!:mad: Have you ever tried to take one apart for a simple cleaning job? In order to get the bolt out, you need to remove the barrel and in order to get the barrel off, you need to get the barrel nut off that was torqued on by king freakin' kong! Brownells sells a special wrench to get the nut off (gorrilla strength not included) but you can tell the people that attempted this without the propper wrench by the rounded nuts left by various wrenches. The other problem is that unless they are kept very clean, they are not all that reliable. If you are looking for a sporty deer rifle that may only fire a 20 round box of ammo in a year, yeah, they may work alright for you. If however you are looking for a rifle that will hold up long term and stay working, there is nothing the 7400 will do that an M-14, Garand, FAL, HK91, AR, AK or a host of other rifles that were designed to still work under harsh conditions will do, do just as well if not better and still keep working!

Acc371
July 21, 2012, 10:41 AM
All above are good reasons.
Plus, the M4 is modular, parts are pretty much interchangeable.

Do you NEED one! No. Do I need more than 1 rifle, pistol & shotgun? No.
But, hey, I'm a guy!!!
Boys & their toys!:D::p

Lateck
July 21, 2012, 11:32 AM
I'll agree with johnbt....
That's the reason I got one.... (I did not have the pleasure of government training... )

One could pick any of the posts above and have the right reason to have OR have-not.... :eek:

Lateck,

Bartholomew Roberts
July 21, 2012, 12:32 PM
Frankly, the AR is superior to the 7400 for plain old every day rifle use. It is lightweight, easy to shoot, accurate, easy to modify on your own and replace parts, comes in a dozen different calibers... Etc.

tahunua001
July 21, 2012, 01:09 PM
nobody needs an AR, IMO most people don't even need a semi auto unless they take their second amendment rights very seriously. however I am a firm believer that if you do get a semi auto, it should meet a couple key criteria:

1. ammo capacity. if you get a semi auto, it should be able to hold more than 5 or 6 rounds.I even find the 8 round capacity of a garand to be a bit lacking for a semi auto. the M1A, ar15 and AK pattern rifles all have decent ammo capacity and meet this criteria.

2. parts availability. we all want that perfect rifle that never breaks and some have better track records than others but the cold hard reality is that shi... uh... stuff happens. guns break, it's a fact of lifie and even the famous AK is prone to breakages. if you have 1200+ sunk into a rifle which would you rather have? A.)a rifle that has parts waiting at any local gunstore(even some hardware stores) or B.)one that requires special order and waiting periods or in extreme cases, has to be shipped to the factory for any repair. the M1A/M14, AR15/10 and AK47/74 all meet the former whereas your goofball, never really took off but never really died models like your bullpups, Sig 556, and rem 7400 all fall under the latter

3. interchangeability. even though this comes dangerously close to SHTF, I will try to keep it within acceptable behavior guidelines. if you are in a situation where you can not readily go to the local gun store or the local gun store just can't keep the parts in stock it is much easier to find a gun buddy with an M1A/M14, AR15/10 or AK pattern rifles and may have parts stockpiled or even just a stack of old parts leftover that are still serviceable than it would be to find one with a 7400, sig 556, bullpup, or other semi auto.

it is jsut my humble opinion but those three criteria should be at the top of anyone's list who is considering a semi auto. I am a diehard AR nut and having shot a number of semi auto platforms, the AR just seems to overshadow them all in my eyes but they are not for everyone. some people have to have a one piece wood stock in their hands, others just don't like the idea of an aluminum gun in their hands but for me it is the only semi worth buying. you don't need an AR, but if you do need a semi, then it is best to go mainstream.

CUBAN REDNECK
July 21, 2012, 08:15 PM
In case your local legislators get the idea that you don't need one...

Ignition Override
July 22, 2012, 11:39 PM
The only mild complaint I have about a friend's all-original Colt AR-15, which is in mint condition and at least twenty years old (no, not a "Green Box"), is that the trigger seems a bit stiff, though the pull is much shorter than on my Norinco SKS.

Have recently read that an AR's trigger feel can easily be smoothed out, for a very modest price.

CUBAN REDNECK hit the nail on the head, among others.
For those who want to reduce the chance of records kept, why not buy at a gun show if a price seems reasonable? Many private sellers have ARs, and often no record is kept. They just want cash.

Sellers who are regulars at the smaller shows can often be "vouched for" by other sellers who have known them for years. Some sellers are known to keep quiet about rifles which could have a problem, but others are honest and tell you when there is a Known issue.

You can always ask around to find out which private sellers are totally open and frank about any issues when asked, though some have never tried out certain guns which they sell on a specific day. I've only sold guns in parking lots (gun show, Kroger, Walmart).