PDA

View Full Version : Remington semi-autos

jambrdly
July 17, 2012, 10:42 PM
Which of the Remington semi-auto models is best? I know some of them supposedly had aluminum or alloy receivers that don't hold up. Will any of these hold up to 1,000-plus rounds? What is accuracy like? Recoil?

Creeper
July 17, 2012, 11:04 PM
If you're referring to the AR pattern, 'R' model Remingtons... I've not heard of any issues of reliability or soft receivers. Assuming even minimal care, 1000 rounds should be a tiny drop in the bucket for any good quality AR.

If you're referring to the model 750 hunting rifle... I got no idea.

Cheers,
C

btmj
July 17, 2012, 11:37 PM
I think the original Remington model 8 is the best... Designed by John M. Browning in 1900, and sold by Remington starting in 1906.

One could make the argument that the model 8 was the first commercially successful semi automatic centerfire rifle.

Fishbed77
July 17, 2012, 11:52 PM
My father had a 742 in 30-06 that he took countless deer with over a span of 20+ years until it was stolen. He had the barrel replaced on it once, but as far as I know, it gave him very good service as long as it was kept clean.

jmr40
July 20, 2012, 08:07 AM
If you are referring to he 742, 7400, 750 series of hunting rifles none have a good reputation for reliabity, durability or accuracy. You occasionally run across a satisfied owner, but they are rare. All of them have steel receivers

Remington has recently gotten into the AR market, all re based on aluminum receivers. So far I've heard of no problems with them. In fact the US military recently placed a large order from Remington for AR rifles.

jason41987
July 20, 2012, 11:43 AM
i used to be a fan of remington products, but their quality control has seemed to go downhill, its like the company doesnt even care anymore of the quality of their products.. heck they buy up marlin, and even the equipment to make marlins and they still cant do it right, which makes me wonder what sort of corners theyre trying to cut with the marlin brand to save money... so im going to avoid remington from now on for anything, there are better semi auto rifles from other companies to look into

arch308
July 20, 2012, 06:25 PM
I love my 7400 in 30-06. It eats my reloads without a hitch and has knocked hell out of both dear & hogs. I keep reading bad reviews occasionally on this and other forums but I have nothing bad to say about mine.
In fact I plan on using it again this season.