PDA

View Full Version : I realize that I'm new to this ...

frogspit
July 17, 2012, 08:53 PM
But , given the choice , would you go LaRue Tactical , or Noveske ?

Creeper
July 17, 2012, 09:03 PM
Both excellent rifles. Is there a marked price difference, or unique features in the two specific guns you're looking at... that might be the deciding factor.

Cheers,
C

mitranoc
July 17, 2012, 09:17 PM
Good luck getting a Noveske. Be prepared to wait. Considered one myself, but didn't want to wait. Either one you mentioned, you can't go wrong with..

RT
July 17, 2012, 10:23 PM
LaRue PredatAR

Achilles11B
July 18, 2012, 01:08 AM
IF you can't drop $3K, consider putting a rifle together around the LaRue Stealth upper. It's a high-quality upper receiver that's as accurate as it is reliable.

frogspit
July 18, 2012, 01:17 PM
Thanks for the info and ideas . Like I said, new to all of this . I just want to buy the best rifle I can for the bucks I have .

Willie Lowman
July 19, 2012, 09:41 AM
I have a Noveske and a friend of mine has a 10" shorty Noveske. They are the finest ARs I have seen.

Honestly I have never handled a LaRue so I can't compare the two.

frogspit
July 26, 2012, 07:15 PM
If you all don't mind yet another question . Any opinions on Wilson's rifles ?

frogspit
July 27, 2012, 06:11 PM
Bump .

Creeper
July 27, 2012, 06:35 PM
If you all don't mind yet another question . Any opinions on Wilson's rifles ?

Again, a well built rifle using quality parts. Nothing particularly unique or special... just a premium rifle.

As I don't buy complete rifles, and have not in at least a few decades, prefering rather to build my own, I'm not a prime candidate to offer an opinion other than to the quality of parts... for which I have, at one time or another, used parts made by all three of the brands listed.

Here's the deal... unless you have a poster that has owned all three, or at least two of the rifle brands listed, you are not going to get a really objective answer to your question.
I think, in your case, price and availability will be more of a determining factor. Also, there are a boatload of other premium builders that you've not considered. LMT, Knights Armament, Colt, Black Rain, HK, Sig, S&W, Nemo... just to name a few. :D

Cheers,
C

UtopiaTexasG19
July 27, 2012, 06:47 PM
Bravo Company (BCM) also has a great reputation.

frogspit
July 27, 2012, 06:49 PM
Creeper , that's exactly why I posted my original question .
Thanks for giving me alternative makers to research .

Creeper
July 27, 2012, 07:00 PM
Thanks for giving me alternative makers to research .

Take breaks in your research... or your head will explode from all the hyperbole. ;)

plouffedaddy
July 27, 2012, 09:02 PM
I had a LaRue and my buddy has a Noveske. I've shot both a good bit and I'd take the LaRue (we're talking 51% to 49% here). I don't know that I could tell you why however :confused:; just a preference thing.

Availability is on the side of LaRue...

The Noveske rifling is kind of cool though...

I see why you're debating!:D

madcratebuilder
July 28, 2012, 06:29 AM
Noveske makes the best barrels and fit and finish is second to none, but you can get within 95% of the quality and accuracy for half the money. 90% for one quarter the money.

The rifles roll mark well have little effect on how well you shoot it.

tahunua001
July 28, 2012, 08:59 AM
I would steer away from all three of those for a new user. larue and noveske are high end AR manufacturers that cater mainly to hardcore, gunghoe, mall ninjas, swat teams or other people that have used ARs enough to know where budget line ups fall short and where special attention is not necessary.

my recommendation would be to buy a $600 dollar AR such as the smith and wesson MP15 or a DPMS Sportical/Oracle. once you have shot it enough that you know what you would rather change and what you are fine with keeping(IE, you hate the triggers but you are fine with the pistol grip or you like the accuracy of a melonited barrel but you hate how the buttstock feels etc etc), then I would recommend buying those high end parts and using them to upgrade your existing rifle so that in the end you have only paid $1500 for a rifle that fits your personal needs and tastes perfectly rather than $3000 on a top end AR that still might not fit your particular niche.

sailskidrive
July 28, 2012, 09:09 AM
The rifles roll mark well have little effect on how well you shoot it.

If you're new to the game, even the lower end DPMS rifles are probably going to out perform your ability. The standard deviation between the high and low end builds has really shrunken significantly in recent years. Companies like Palmetto State Armory have really raised the bar of minimum expected quality.

Personally, I highly respect the build quality and part source selection of manufacturers like LaRue, LWRC, and Noveske, but a quality barrel coupled to quality fire control group/trigger are going to give you the biggest performance returns for each dollar spent. Most of the other parts have become fungible.

plouffedaddy
July 28, 2012, 04:06 PM
Noveske makes the best barrels and fit and finish is second to none, but you can get within 95% of the quality and accuracy for half the money. 90% for one quarter the money.

Agreed 100%. That's why I sold mine. It was great, but I sold it and got a PSA mid-length that has never had a malfunction and a 10.5'' SBR that's never had a malfunction (and had money left over). If you only want one and have the money to spend but I like having lots of guns :D

frogspit
July 28, 2012, 09:36 PM
Thanks again to all for taking time to respond . I'm several months away from laying out any cash . I'm just researching my options . When I stated that I was new to this , I meant buying AR type rifles. Im retired USAF and had to qualify with this type weapon frequently . I've hunted for the better part of 50 years.
I kinda caught the bug for something different and started looking at ARs and their cousins . I do have a tendency to by the best I can afford ,it's just habit I guess. But again thank you all for the info. . There's at a lot for me to learn about this subject.

madcratebuilder
July 29, 2012, 07:06 AM
frogspit, you'll see right away owners are very brand loyal.

These AR's are like a watch, you can buy a Timex that takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin', or a Rolex.

The barrel and bolt carrier group are the heart of the AR and you have different quality materials used with different manufacturing and testing methods.

The Colt AR is the yard stick most are measured by.

chadio
July 29, 2012, 12:41 PM
2 yrs. ago, I was looking for an AR that was a notch above the 'benchmark' - and I was willing and able to pay the price. Keep in mind, I won't sit here and tell you that I've fired / maintained everything from a to z and 'I'm the resident authority' - because I am not.

Three rifle manufacturers stood out:

Noveske Rifleworks
LaRue Tactical
Lewis Machine &Tool

I took the time to speak with engineers at each company, they were all very helpful and believed in their product. You should do the same, but before you do:

1) be honest with yourself in how you intend to use the rifle
2) what you expect from it
3) what you expect from the company who makes / supports it

frogspit
July 30, 2012, 08:09 PM
To make a long story short , found a Colt CRP 18 . Couldnt resist .

Creeper
July 30, 2012, 08:17 PM
Nice gun... go have fun. ;)

Cheers,
C

plouffedaddy
July 30, 2012, 08:32 PM
To make a long story short , found a Colt CRP 18 . Couldnt resist .

Nice. Pro or Expert?

frogspit
July 30, 2012, 08:38 PM
The Pro . Now I've got to find decent optics for it ? :-)

Creeper
July 30, 2012, 08:40 PM
Before you start a new thread on "what scope (rings, etc etc) for a AR"... please do a search. There are tons of them... really there are. ;)

Go shoot,
C

frogspit
July 30, 2012, 08:44 PM
You bet !Besides, I'm pretty sure ,I'll go with Trijicon . ;-)

sailskidrive
July 31, 2012, 02:41 PM
You bet !Besides, I'm pretty sure ,I'll go with Trijicon . ;-)

Trijicon rocks!

http://i669.photobucket.com/albums/vv54/sailskidrive/AR15/ecfd7504.jpg

http://i669.photobucket.com/albums/vv54/sailskidrive/AR15/82c4dd2c.jpg

frogspit
August 1, 2012, 07:55 PM
Creeper, I see what you mean about optics posts . Seems like I could go for days depending on how the search is worded.

Sailskidrive....what optic is that on the weapon in your first pic ?

Creeper
August 1, 2012, 08:01 PM
Creeper, I see what you mean about optics posts . Seems like I could go for days depending on how the search is worded.

Yeah... there are threads on just about any AR related question you can ask.

If you can't find what you're looking for, sometimes try PM'ing a member who comes across as knowledgeable and reasonably objective. Either they'll know, or know where to find what you're looking for.
It beats wading thru a whole bunch of poo to find the one or two pearls of wisdom. ;)

Give us a shooting review when you get a chance... pics and stuff are nice.

Cheers,
C

frogspit
August 1, 2012, 08:11 PM
I'll give a review for sure . As far as pics, that depends on when my wife will be talking to me . She does pc stuff way better than me ;-)
I'm fairly close to a decision on the optics ,just need to talk to a few folks yet .
Thanks for your help so far ,it's appreciated.