PDA

View Full Version : Best Ar-15 for the money?

Bwbraven
July 17, 2012, 01:10 AM
As the title says what's the best Ar-15 i.y.o. for the money and which ones to stay away from.

Justice06RR
July 17, 2012, 03:00 AM
You should really do a search as this topic has been asked countless times.

Quick answer: Colt 6920 or BCM AR15. Both are around $1k and are considered the ideal AR rifles with milspec configuration.

If you just want a cheaper one for fun and not so worried about name brands, Smith&Wesson M&P15 Sport is around $699

RT
July 17, 2012, 04:18 AM
As mush as I love the 6920
http://www.gtdist.com/ProductDetail.aspx?PartNumber=COLT-LE6920

I have to go with the PSA on this one
http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/complete-uppers.html

dos0711
July 17, 2012, 04:20 AM
I'm pleased with my Windham Weaponry MPC...$849

rebs
July 17, 2012, 05:21 AM
The S&W Sport is a fantastic buy and a great rifle, I own one and so do about 4 of my friends. With hand loads they will shoot 1" and under groups @ 100 yds all day. Comes with a life time warranty for a little over 600.00

Windham Weaponry is also a great rifle with a life time warranty for a little more money, also capable on under 1" groups @ 100 yds

customaquatics
July 17, 2012, 07:25 AM
i second the Palmetto State, no other AR comes standard i can think of with the 1-7 twist barrel. Rock River has a 1-8 i think.

pturner67
July 17, 2012, 10:10 AM
Spikes mid-length for $875...mil-spec, has the best buffer out there (st-t2), and has a lifetime warranty

Kimio
July 17, 2012, 10:51 AM
I don't have much experience with other AR', but for me, Stag was a great entry point IMO. roughly $890 after FFL fees and such.

She eats anything I put in her accurate to boot.

btmj
July 17, 2012, 02:50 PM
If I was going to buy my first AR, and I wanted the best value for the money, I would make a list of the reputable builders/assemblers, and then shop for the best deal. The list would probably include:

PSA
Stag
CMMG
Spikes
S&W M&P
DPMS
Bushmaster
Rock River
Colt
Many many many others.

Any of these can be had cheap on any given day... you just have to shop around.

Eventually, after you have been shooting it a while, you may decide you want something more specialized. Perhaps you will want a high precission rifle. Perhaps you will want a rifle that will stand up to sustained abuse and high monthly round counts. Perhaps you will get into 3-gun competition. By the time you know what you want to do, you will also have a better idea of what kind of rifle you want. you may even decide to assemble your own. But the best way to get started with an AR-15 is to just get one, and start shooting.

chris in va
July 17, 2012, 03:00 PM
I'm quite impressed with my Sport. 2800 rounds now, three stoppages due to reloads slightly out of spec. Certainly not the rifle's fault.

gggplaya
July 17, 2012, 03:54 PM
Smith and Wesson M and P sport hands down. It doesn't have forward assist or a dust cover, but that's only needed if you're actually going to combat with it and rolling around in the dirt. Keep the bolt lubed and you'll be good to go.

They can be had for just over $600. They have a melonited barrel which is better than chrome lining in my opinion, and a 1:8 twist which i wish my other AR had. Plus smith and wesson's stellar customer service and a lifetime warranty (i think?).

Palmetto State Armory also has products that are milspec quality and great customer service. For around the same price.

Kyle0045
July 17, 2012, 08:17 PM
Smith and Wesson M&P 15 Sport. I got my Smith and Wesson M&P 15 Sport for $650 at my local Academy, and its accuracy is insane, not to mention its like an AK when it comes to ammo. It will eat anything you feed it. I like to go down to the range, and find people with AR's, and I will ask them if they would like to do a 100 yard accuracy test. I have done this 6 times so far, and all 6 times I have had better gropuings. Then I ask them how much was theirs and all 6 have said over $1000, when I say mine was $650, their face is priceless :D

I highly recommend the Smith and Wesson M&P 15 Sport. I would trust my life with it. Go online and look at reviews, good luck finding a bad review because I have not seen one.

okelly162
July 17, 2012, 10:53 PM
I sifted through Gunbroker and ebay for six months and built an M4 for around 300 bucks of course i allready had a lower reciever ....and i got a bad buffer tube wich cost me an extra $20...... but it is a fun hobby

meanmachine1961
July 17, 2012, 11:32 PM
M&P Sport is my first AR and I can't think of one bad thing to say about it.

Fishbed77
July 17, 2012, 11:53 PM
Best for the money: Spikes or PSA

Best for a little more money: Colt or BCM

Bamashooter
July 18, 2012, 02:24 AM
I just bought a DTI Echo 316/MOE heavy barrel for $800. I was pleased with the quality for the money.

loose_holster_dan
July 18, 2012, 07:18 AM
yeah, those colts that are going for under $1k are a serious steal. a local store near me has the ones with the magpul upgrades for like $1100.

huntinaz
July 18, 2012, 12:08 PM
I had a White Oak Armament varmint upper for awhile that I thought was a good deal for the money. For under $650 shipped you can have a great bull barrel hunting upper. Mine was great, accuracy lived up to expectations but it was just more upper than I needed. I had the 20" Varmint upper, and it is a heavy bull. I wanted something that I could swing around easier but for a dedicated predator or varmint rig, I think it's a heck of a bargain at under $650 shipped.

FrosSsT
July 19, 2012, 11:14 AM
In the AR debate I have come to realize that the answer people give depends on the brand they own.

gggplaya
July 19, 2012, 06:13 PM
I don't own an smith and wesson m and p 15 sport, but i have fired and played with one. It's the most bang for your buck that you can get.

Jayhawkhuntclub
July 20, 2012, 02:27 PM
I can't say I've compared them all. But I know what a good gun is. And my S&W Sport is excellent. Sub MOA with the right ammo. Great fit & finish. Not picky on the ammo. Melonite barrel! I can live without the dust cover and I wouldn't want the FA. For $600 it's a lot of AR!

a7mmnut
July 20, 2012, 03:31 PM
This is a huge can of worms. What is your intended use? A plinker is easily bought these days for less than $600 at Walmart. Mine is a light varminter setup. It's an Olympic Arms Targtmatch k16 with a few goodies. Some cuss it, but they can't outshoot it. I'm happy. :D-7-

http://i438.photobucket.com/albums/qq107/a7mmnut/ARbipodrightjpg.jpg

http://i438.photobucket.com/albums/qq107/a7mmnut/BestGroupcrop.jpg

wnycollector
July 21, 2012, 10:02 AM
+1 on the White Oak varmint uppers (http://www.whiteoakarmament.com/xcart/product.php?productid=17555&cat=261&page=1). A shooting buddy has one and it's truly impressive for a $595 upper. My RRA ATH is just as accurate, but it costs ~$175 more.

DMZX
July 21, 2012, 09:14 PM
It seems to be a buyers market right now. You have to look hard to find a junky AR in this competitive market. Buy one that best meets the reasons you are buying one.

Bwbraven
July 21, 2012, 09:24 PM
I'm new to the AR's kinda I know some but not all things about them I hear some say they must have a dust cover and forward assist to even be considered a good AR. I'm leaning more towards a stainless bull barrel than a chrome lined one. <-suggestions.?). I'm gonna shoot maybe 1000 rounds a year through it might take it on a few deer hunts but mainly target and plinking. Mainly because cheaper ammo than my bigger caliber bolt guns.

Acc371
July 21, 2012, 11:02 PM
Bwbraven, they all pretty much come with a dust cover. A Fwd assist is nice & handy but not a necessity. Check your state hunting regs on the 223. You may have to go with a 6.8 SPC, 6.5G or 300BO.

.223/5.56
S&W, Delton are nice. SPIKES are very good from what I've heard.
Stags are hard to beat in 5.56 NATO & 6.8 SPC. Great CS from what I have seen & heard!

OcelotZ3
July 21, 2012, 11:53 PM
The S&W Sport is a fantastic buy and a great rifle

I agree with this one. For the price, (~$600), it's a great value. I really like mine.

Water-Man
July 22, 2012, 01:28 AM
I'm partial to Colt but BCM and Daniel Defense are well worth considering too.

Bwbraven
July 22, 2012, 06:44 PM
Here in Arkansas its legal to use .22 caliber centerfire but nothing smaller and no mag cap limits.

OsOk-308
July 22, 2012, 10:30 PM
YOU! I assembled my first ar out of parts I bought. Buy quality parts: RRA, Stag, DPMS, Magpul, Colt, DTI, most parts bought from these brands are solid. These companies make great parts, but the best AR-15 for the money is the one you will value in the future.

Bwbraven
July 22, 2012, 11:02 PM
I've been looking into piecing my own together. When I want top of the line I will but for just starting out it's gonna be cheaper to buy a factory one already assembled.

Bwbraven
July 23, 2012, 06:57 PM
Which of the ones mentioned are mil-spec?

Caliber
July 24, 2012, 07:05 PM
best bang for the buck is the S&W M&P like a couple have mentioned it's like $650 for a descent setup. you can evan find them in most wal-marts... CMMG also make good low priced ar's that are top quality. if you're determined to spend big bucks then you can go Sabre or Daniel Defense.

vdub804
July 24, 2012, 07:55 PM
I almost went with the 15 sport because it was $599 w/o tax but ended up getting the Stag Arms model 3, even without the dust cover and forward assist the s&w 15 sport gets great reviews. also the dpms panther oracle is in the same price range as the 15 sport plus it comes with the forward assist and dust cover

Sent from my Galaxy SIII using Tapatalk 2

Metal god
August 5, 2012, 12:56 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It sounds like the M&P Sport is the way to go .

I put one on lay away $750 out the door and be for I finnished paying it off I changed it to the Del-Ton $850 out the door .I felt it would be important to have the dust cover and foward assit . It sure would suck to need it and not have it . it also came with Magpul dark earth furniture .

http://img856.imageshack.us/img856/835/phone2011.jpg

I just got done with this build .

PSA lower , Del-Ton everything else , mid length heavy barrel 1-7 chrome lined , $ 600 out the door .
http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/4234/phone2010.jpg

After spending another $ 400 this is what you can have !

http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/5125/phone2003.jpg

http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/4607/phone2004.jpg

Things I added - YHM (Tod Jarret ) free floaot rail , Magpul CTR stock ,Magpul Flipup sights , Double rail gas block , Magwell grip , Red-dot , Bi-pod , Hogue grip .

Total cost to date $ 1,030

I have not put a scope on either one . I can how ever shoot 1-1/2 ' groups at 100 yards using iron sights with both of them . Thats good enough for a camp gun IMO . Im sure they would do better with a scope .

If you take your time and wait for the deals to come to you . you can be as happy as me . :D

----------------------------------------------------------------------------