PDA

View Full Version : Now what do I do?

CLC
July 16, 2012, 10:04 PM
Finally got my Eotech mounted to my BCM 16inch carbine length upper w/ troy back ups.....how do I get this crap set up? Do I set my RDS and irons at same range? Im used to the AK platform, so this is all foreign to me :(.

Achilles11B
July 16, 2012, 10:15 PM
Your sights, your call. I have a similar setup. I have them both at 25 yards for now. I'd like to set up the irons at 50 at some point for more of a general-purpose zero.

My recommendation is to set both of them up for ranges you commonly shoot.

insomni
July 16, 2012, 10:22 PM
I have both of mine zeroed to 25/300m

Your ironsights are pretty much just a backup for when things go south for your EOTech

CLC
July 16, 2012, 10:51 PM
300m is proper military? That is what im thinking my buds said. So in general my eotech and irons should function as one unit?

impalacustom
July 17, 2012, 02:12 AM
They are called BUIS because they are back-ups, not primary, set them at the same distance the main sight is set at.

Justice06RR
July 17, 2012, 02:49 AM
I believe 25/300meters is the norm for zeroing your sights. You could also do 100yards as an alternative, but set them both at the same range/distance for consistency.

Crow Hunter
July 17, 2012, 07:42 AM
I prefer the 50/200 based on the targets that I shoot at.

THe 25/300 military spec causes you to be somewhere around 6"+ high at the middle point of the trajectory.

The 50 yard/200 meter works better for me because it stays +/- 2 inches off the dot out to 200 or so meters. (Except at very close range where you will need to compensate for sight offset 2.75" or so) So I just put my dot on in the center of whatever I am aiming at. http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=22

The 100 yard zero is good if you can judge distance well and know your hold overs. Just aim center out to 100 yards and just keep holding over more the further out you go. I suck at judging distance with just my eyes, so I prefer the point and shoot aiming, I usually have a 100 yard zero on magnified optics that have something to judge distance on, reference aiming points or turrets to dial up/down.

As to setting it up. The easiest method I have used is to sight in the irons first. You adjust the elevation on the front, the windage on the rear. Once you are hitting where you want to, assuming that you want your optic to hit the same, just adjust the optic so the circle/dot is lollipopping on the front sight for a rough zero and then refine the zero from there.

Don't forget to witness mark all your mounting screws, paint pen or nail polish, so that you can make sure nothing moves around. I had a loose mounting screw on a magnified optic once that I didn't think I was ever going to get zeroed, until I bumped it and it moved:o

insomni
July 17, 2012, 06:45 PM
they shouldn't function as one unit. they're used independently, but both are zeroed (separately) to 25/300m on my rifle.

If I use the iron sights, the EOTech is turned off. If I use the EOTech, the iron sights are stowed.
I just zeroed them at that distance because it's familiar and I can estimate bullet drop just about anywhere along that arc, and it was easy since the range I initially zeroed at stopped at 25m.

also, +1 sight the irons in first and use them to get close with the reticle. good call Crow Hunter

CLC
July 17, 2012, 07:24 PM
Sorry what i mean by one unit is that they should be zeroed together. Cant wait to get it out!