PDA

View Full Version : Hi Point 40 S&W carbine

Sigep538
July 16, 2012, 03:02 PM
So I was at camp the other day and my buddy pulled out a Hi Point 40 for us to go shoot. So we loaded up a few toys and went to our range. We shot a couple Glock 9mm, my DW 357, .22s, and this High Point.
First impression was this thing looks like a ripe ****. It had peep rear sight that seemed comfortable and the weight wasnt bad. The trigger pull was the worst I have ever incountered in my life. When I shot it, it slaped my cheek to the point of being painful. I ended up tying my Tshirt around the grip area to provide some padding. My buddy did not incounter this slapping issue.

But... It went bang every single time (150 round of WWB). I also went were I aimed it...every time. I put it on bags and made a nice ragged hole at 26 yds.

I really wanted to hate on this gun but for the price I was surprised at the amount of preformance. I think it would make a great little rig to bump around in the truck.

Inazone
July 16, 2012, 04:00 PM
I have the 9mm version with some 15-round ProMags that have performed flawlessly. Hideous as it is, I just can't help but like the thing. It's accurate (at the distances I shoot) with the factory sights, although I did add a PFI red-dot scope for a change of pace. Hi-Point's warranty is impressive, the gun is not picky about ammo, and because it's a pistol caliber, I can shoot it at a range that wouldn't allow an AR or other rifle. The price also leaves a lot of money in my shooting budget for ammo.

Still ugly as sin, although in my opinion the newer TTS version sure looks better than the original.

arch308
July 16, 2012, 04:07 PM
I had one in 45. It worked well but the accuracy was so poor I sold it. It wouldn't hold a 6" group from the bench.

chris in va
July 16, 2012, 04:52 PM
Mine broke in three different places. Fun though.

FrosSsT
July 16, 2012, 06:10 PM
Its a neat little gun for the money. I have one in 9mm and it has been flawless so far. It looks and feels a little cheap but for $230 its hard to beat for a 9mm carbine for plinking

Sigep538
July 16, 2012, 07:07 PM
"broke in three places" haha thats funny!

I was really suprised by it. I may get one one day, but Im after ruger single actions now

kozak6
July 17, 2012, 05:18 AM
I feel exactly the same about the 9mm version.

The cheek slapping is so bad I can't really shoot it, but mechanical function and accuracy is unreasonably good for what it is. I wish it would jam and keyhole so I could hate it with all the other zinc junk, but it's actually a reasonably good gun.

wingman
July 17, 2012, 07:35 AM
My 40 has excellent accuracy up to 100 yards never experienced "cheek slapping" nor can I understand how that could occur with proper hold against shoulder. Overall fun gun no problems in hundreds of rounds plus the factor of having range folks asking what the **** is that.:D

chris in va
July 17, 2012, 02:58 PM
The cheek slapping is due to the hotter 40 round and blowback operation. I know what he's talking about. My 9mm had a bit more recoil than expected.

Come and take it.
July 17, 2012, 04:19 PM
they make good guns but I don't like harmonics through the stock to my cheek during firing. It seems uncomfortable. Somewhat similiar to a cetme or HK .308.

I have been tempted to get the 45 although I wish they gave the guns higher capacity magazines. But as the company is somewhat tainted by one of their guns being chosen for the columbine massacre I can kind of understand their caution in weapons design.

Still it is disappointing they don't make a double column magazine well.

Young.Gun.612
July 17, 2012, 04:55 PM
one of their guns being chosen for the columbine massacre

This sort of nonsense has to stop. Mitsubishi built the zero bomber, Mercedes Benz and BMW both supplied the nazis with vehicles and planes. Who cares what a couple of whackjob kids used in their criminal plot, it has no bearing on the weapon itself.

FrosSsT
July 17, 2012, 07:25 PM
Mitsubishi built the zero bomber, Mercedes Benz and BMW both supplied the nazis with vehicles and planes. Who cares what a couple of whackjob kids used in their criminal plot, it has no bearing on the weapon itself.

Very well put.

Come and take it.
July 18, 2012, 07:06 AM
I agree

also I think it has something to do with making the gun california legal.

wingman
July 18, 2012, 07:23 AM
[QUOTE]The cheek slapping is due to the hotter 40 round and blowback operation. I know what he's talking about. My 9mm had a bit more recoil than expected.( Quote)

I guess some folks are more sensitive to recoil, I'm nearing 70 and don't notice the recoil of my 40cal however a cheek "wrap" on stock of some type
would solve problem.

jonnyc
July 18, 2012, 09:22 AM
The 9mms also slap a bit. I put my HP995 in an ATI stock and I love the little rifle. With a reflex sight, I get excellent accuracy at 50 yards, and VG+ at 100. Really loves 147 grain bullets.

IDAHOMIKE
July 18, 2012, 11:06 AM
I must agree with the OP on both the cheek slap and functioning. I have a 9mm carbine, and although quite unpleasant to look at, I can not fault its function or accuracy. I was suprised how uncomfortable it is to shoot with the stock vibrating against your face though.