PDA

View Full Version : New M1A Owner w/Questions

'88Scrat
July 14, 2012, 09:29 PM
I just received my NIB Springfield Armory M1A Squad Scout and bought a couple 20 rounds mags and VERY nice case for it. I gotta say she is everything I hoped she would be and then some.:D

I do have some questions though and I was hoping you guys could inform a newb.

Firstly I noticed that when I unwraped her there was some sort of grease all along the bolt and op rod. It kinda looks and smells like the cosmoline that was on the Mosin-Nagant I bought a while ago but I also know that the M1/M14/M1A family also need to be greased along some points of the bolt and receiver. Should I remove this and use something else for grease or is that its purpose?

Secondly, and I know this might cause some eyes to roll due to the "not again..." question but here goes anyway. What is the best ammo to feed my new M1A? By that I mean both brand and .308 vs 7.62x51mm. I know Federal makes some .308 specific to the M1A (they also make some 30-06 specifically for the M1 Garand and my M1 loves that stuff) but its not the cheapest thing on the market. Obvious as it might sound I would prefer to stay away from any surplus ammo that might be corrosive or dirty burning stuff in general.

Thirdly, I am far from done with this rifle and have plans on dropping it into a Sage Navy Seal Gray EBR stock as soon as Clyde Armory gets them back in stock (I'm told sometime in mid-August by Matt) and I can have it ordered. So which stock to go with, the Mod 1, Mod 0, or some other option I'm not aware of. This is not a question of if but when. I am gonna plan on waiting for Clyde Armory to get some more in stock but if you or someone you know has one for sale please let me know as I am always willing to see what else is on the market.

Lastly, I was wondering what kind of optics and accessories you think might be a good addition. At the moment I am considering an optic of something in the 4x32 range, SEI bolt release, Vortex flash hider, and a 3 point sling.

SR240 if your out there you seem to know a lot about the Sage stocks as well as M1A's and their accessories in general so I would enjoy some feedback from you in particular.

Thanks in advance guys and I'll try to keep up to date on how the build goes.

-Brian

FrosSsT
July 14, 2012, 10:35 PM
Congratulations on the purchase. I love my scout squad. Now, on to help with what I know.

Firstly I noticed that when I unwraped her there was some sort of grease all along the bolt and op rod. It kinda looks and smells like the cosmoline that was on the Mosin-Nagant I bought a while ago but I also know that the M1/M14/M1A family also need to be greased along some points of the bolt and receiver. Should I remove this and use something else for grease or is that its purpose?

The grease is lubricant. Alot of people choose grease over regular lubricant for the M1A. I wouldnt remove it, its not going to hurt anything, just shoot it, clean it, then use grease or lubricant to lubricate it again. I prefer grease, but regular lubricant wont hurt.

Secondly, and I know this might cause some eyes to roll due to the "not again..." question but here goes anyway. What is the best ammo to feed my new M1A? By that I mean both brand and .308 vs 7.62x51mm. I know Federal makes some .308 specific to the M1A (they also make some 30-06 specifically for the M1 Garand and my M1 loves that stuff) but its not the cheapest thing on the market. Obvious as it might sound I would prefer to stay away from any surplus ammo that might be corrosive or dirty burning stuff in general.

I tend to use military surplus (Lake City) 7.62 and that is what I would recommend. You can find it online at midway, cheaper than dirt, natchez (etc) Usually in 500 or 1000 round boxes. Winchester 7.62x51 147g FMJ is pretty good too. 308 should for the most part run fine, however just like the 5.56vs.223 argument there ARE case pressure differences, and the "slamfire" - the premature firing of the round due to the softer primers found in commercial ammo.

Thirdly, I am far from done with this rifle and have plans on dropping it into a Sage Navy Seal Gray EBR stock as soon as Clyde Armory gets them back in stock (I'm told sometime in mid-August by Matt) and I can have it ordered. So which stock to go with, the Mod 1, Mod 0, or some other option I'm not aware of. This is not a question of if but when. I am gonna plan on waiting for Clyde Armory to get some more in stock but if you or someone you know has one for sale please let me know as I am always willing to see what else is on the market.

Lastly, I was wondering what kind of optics and accessories you think might be a good addition. At the moment I am considering an optic of something in the 4x32 range, SEI bolt release, Vortex flash hider, and a 3 point sling.

Since mine is completely stock with no optic mounted, I really cant help you on that. SR240 knows his stuff when it comes to all the bells and whistles of the M14 platform, so at least you know who to go to. I WAS however interested in the JAE G2 stock, but for $1k I figured I'd wait.

jjyergler
July 14, 2012, 10:41 PM
As for ammo, the M1A can use either. It's stamped on there somewhere, but I'm too lazy to go look at mine to tell you where.

Peter M. Eick
July 15, 2012, 08:06 AM
Grease is good on the M1A. Leave it alone and replace as needed.

Ammo, either is good but I feed my 2 reloads. I shoot 168 Serra's with 4895 and a c34 primer in normally Winchester of Federal Gold Medal brass.

madcratebuilder
July 15, 2012, 08:07 AM
It's lubed and greased at the factory. I would strip and clean the rifle. The bolt, bolt roller, receiver, op-rod, recoil spring guide, op-rod guide all need a light grease. If you do not use grease it well destroy it self in short order.

Those small tubs of red USGI grease (http://www.ebay.com/itm/M1-Garrand-Rifle-Grease-Pot-M1-Carbine-1903-USGI-Gun-Cleaning-Kit-Rifle-Grease-/261060398929?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cc8698f51) is made by Plastilube. You can also use Lubriplate 130-A (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lubriplate-130-A-Grease-14-oz-M1-Garand-M14-M1A-130a-/180927968258?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a2025b402). The GI Plastilube is better for warm weather and the Lubriplate is better for cooler weather.

For general plinking I shoot a lot of SA surplus, it seems to do around 2+moa. For serious shooting 168 or 175 Winchester match is the best I have found other than working up a hand load. I'm sure there ar several other brands of quality ammo that well run great in your rifle. Don't be afraid to try several different brands, you may find one that does much better than the rest.

'88Scrat
July 15, 2012, 06:02 PM
Those small tubs of red USGI grease is made by Plastilube. You can also use Lubriplate 130-A.

How hard is it to find these at a brick and morter store like Cabela's?

mehavey
July 15, 2012, 06:41 PM
Just go get a tube/tub of thus stuff:
http://pitstopusa.com/images/F39662009.jpg
http://www.mobiloil.com/usa-english/motoroil/other_products/mobil_1_synthetic_grease.aspx
It surpasses any/all original milspec.
And you need very little.
(Tablespoonfull can last years)

FrosSsT
July 15, 2012, 08:14 PM
Scrat - your thinking too hard about the lubricant. You dont need to use something specific, like mehavey said that mobil 1 (or any other similar grease) will work just as good

Fastercat
July 15, 2012, 09:25 PM
I've had trouble with my M1A ejecting with a scope mount in the way. Sorry I haven't found one I can recommend.

it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

madcratebuilder
July 16, 2012, 09:06 AM
How hard is it to find these at a brick and morter store like Cabela's?

These are pretty much a Gunbroker or evil bay only item. ANY quality syn grease well get the job done.

I've had trouble with my M1A ejecting with a scope mount in the way. Sorry I haven't found one I can recommend.

This is known problem with some mounts. In the attempt to get the scopes closer to the bore some mounts have insufficient room above the bolt.

I have about six years on a Sadlak mount, the underside is angled to assist ejecting fired cases. I've not had any issues with this.

Crow Hunter
July 16, 2012, 04:01 PM
The ammo needs to be close to the same pressure as standard M80 ball. The problem lies in the fact that the operating rod is no inline with the force from the tappet/piston. If you accelerate it too violently beyond the loads it was designed around, it "can" bend.

So don't grab light magnum loads or really super fast burning powder ammo.

When I used to have a M1A, mine really like Portugese surplus and it was okay with Radway Green L2A2.

No matter what, it is going to be expensive to shoot.

I always used Tetra grease and I never had problems. You need to make sure you pack it into the roller well.

You really need to try out a SAGE before you plop all that money down. They are VERY heavy. Fore the money that you will most likely have to pay for a new SAGE there are quite a few other lighter stocks out there if you don't like the factory stock.

misterE
July 16, 2012, 09:09 PM
Congrats on your new m1a! You are going to love it.

I don't know how much grease you have on your rifle, but I would recommend wiping off any excess. It doesn't take a whole lot. Like others have mentioned, always be sure the roller has plenty of grease. The other areas, I use lubriplate ( purchased from brownells), and paint it on with a small watercolor brush

As far as ammo, stay away from the magnum stuff and I've also been told not to shoot 180 grain ammo out of mine. Federal gmm has proven to be the most accurate out of mine. But I bought a lot of the Winchester 147 grn fmj in 7.62 NATO ant it shoots pretty well.

Have fun and go shoot that thing!

misterE
July 17, 2012, 12:30 AM
Also wanted to add that there are many on here that helped me a lot when I got my m1a. But also, there is the m14 forum which is devoted entirely to the m14/m1a platform. Good idea to check that one out too!

toppermost
July 17, 2012, 12:36 AM
Umm... Pictures? Hello? :confused:

JR_Roosa
July 17, 2012, 01:57 AM
or really super fast burning powder ammo

Actually slow powders are the problem. Higher pressure at the gas port.

-J.

Powderman
July 17, 2012, 02:24 AM
Do a search at Brownells.com for the M1A. You will find a nifty little attachment to help lube the bolt roller; simply load it with grease and push it on.

For grease, you can find Lubriplate at most any auto parts store.

You will also need a good one-piece rod for cleaning, proper sized bore brushes and patches, and a bore guide, since you'll be cleaning from the muzzle.

SR420
July 17, 2012, 05:50 AM
http://www.teamm14.com/forum.php (http://www.teamm14.com/forum.php)

Crow Hunter
July 17, 2012, 07:23 AM
Actually slow powders are the problem. Higher pressure at the gas port.

-J.

I knew it was something about the powder.:o

I don't reload and I haven't had a M1a in a while. I always just used M80 spec ammo.

'88Scrat
July 17, 2012, 11:19 AM
For those that wanted pictures here ya go. My camera is unbelieviably cheap and kinda worthless so I apologize for the quality, and I'm still not so keen on how to get pictures on here but here we go.

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l534/silveradosierra/M1A-1.jpg

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l534/silveradosierra/M1A-2.jpg

She is pretty well bone stock at the moment but give me some time.

SR420
July 17, 2012, 07:09 PM
That's what mine looked like right out of the box.

I had it glass bedded into a walnut stock soon after...

http://www.athenswater.com/images/M1A-Scout.JPG

madcratebuilder
July 18, 2012, 08:19 AM
For grease, you can find Lubriplate at most any auto parts store.

Rifle Lubriplate is Lubriplate 130-A, this is different than the Lubriplate found in auto part stores. Any quality grease well get it done.

mehavey
July 18, 2012, 09:08 AM
+1

Most any quality wheel bearing grease is (more than) perfectly fine

Crow Hunter
July 18, 2012, 09:32 AM
+1

Most any quality wheel bearing grease is (more than) perfectly fine

I have used it on my AK for years and it is fine. I also use it to grease the skids on the BCG of my ARs. I don't use it inside the BCG though after a unfortunate incident in very cold weather where I accidently got some on my Firing Pin from the cam pin and it got sluggish and wouldn't light off XM193 until I cleaned it out.

I like grease because it doesn't dry out or drip off as easily as oil does.