PDA

View Full Version : dpms 223

Gun freak
July 14, 2012, 08:05 PM
I'm(seariously) looking at a 223 rifle but can't decide between the dpms sportical or a savage.I have heard good and bad things about the dpms so....I need everybodies opinion good or bad.Oh and if anybody owns the dpms I would love to hear your experience with it.Thanks!

Quentin2
July 15, 2012, 12:14 AM
What are you going to use the rifle for, what distances, ammo and how many rounds. What do you like and dislike about the two rifles?

Bushmaster1313
July 15, 2012, 12:24 AM
The Savage Axis is about $300 and is a low end bolt rifle

The DPMS is about $600 and is a basic Semi-Auto Black Rifle (illegal in NJ because of the stock and the flash suppressor)

Very hard to compare.

TimW77
July 15, 2012, 12:48 AM
"Bushmaster1313" how did you get "Savage Axis" when the OP wrote just "SAVAGE"?

"The Savage Axis is about $300 and is a low end bolt rifle
The DPMS is about $600 and is a basic Semi-Auto Black Rifle (illegal in NJ because of the stock and the flash suppressor) Very hard to compare."

Actually very easy to compare, regardless of the Savage the OP meant, the DPMS "Sportical" is a very low end, bottom of the barrel AR-15.

Save your money and buy virtually any other brand/model or go with the Savage.

T.

ripnbst
July 15, 2012, 01:00 AM
What do you want to do with the rifle? The AR can do everything the bolt gun can, the bolt gun cannot do everything the AR can. I recommend the S&W M&P 15 Sport over the DPMS Sportical.

jmr40
July 15, 2012, 08:37 PM
The DPMS is a low end AR, but I've had zero malfunctions and mine is quite accurate. I also own other, better AR's. The DPMS is not the one I'd reach for in a personal protection situation. But that is not what I bought it for. I wanted something cheap to mount a scope on with no sights to get in the way to be used as a Coyote gun. It serves that role well.

For light duty use I think they are fine. But for only $100-$200 more you can get a better gun that would stand up to more use and abuse. S&W, Windham, Palmetto State Armory, Stag and a few others can be had for under $800 and are a notch up in performance.