View Full Version : Marlin 336: Pics, so it must have happened.

July 14, 2012, 07:14 PM
Here awhile back, I "accidentally" bought a Marlin 336 on Gunbroker. I bid on purpose, but I never expected the gun to sell for $202. It is used, and shows wear on the metal and the wood. The "bullseye" was missing; Marlin sent me a new one for free. The plug screws on top of the receiver were missing; a local 'smith sold me 4 for $6.

I finally got it to the range. Elevation was off at 50 yards, but that was easy to fix.

Windage was a bit trickier. I didn't bring a hammer. I marked where the rear sight was with a pencil, then I used my Swiss Army Knife to set against the rear sight in the dovetail, then whacked it with my Leatherman. Lucky hit.

I have to say, I'm feeling good about what ended up as my Father's Day present. I think it likes Remington 150 gr. Core-Lokt ammo.

Nine the Ranger
July 14, 2012, 07:20 PM

My 336 HATED Remington ammo with a passion.

it seems to like anything Federal and Hornady's Lever-Evolution. But I've never pushed my range past 30 yards, now I want to get to a range and really test it out.

July 14, 2012, 08:43 PM
Good score!

July 14, 2012, 08:54 PM
Nice. I like stories like this one. Wish they happened to ME more often though... :D

July 14, 2012, 10:11 PM
I hate you. I just posted about my 336 today. Mine came from my grandfather, but I'd like to get another one (other family members that hunt).

No really, great find. :cool: I hope you enjoy yours one tenth of how much I have enjoyed mine.

July 14, 2012, 10:23 PM
Dear Forum:

I live in a college town, and I never thought it would happen to me until...

We have all read about someone's good luck with a deal. I will confess to my share of envy when reading those posts. I spent a long time watching auctions before this one hit. If it can happen to me, it can happen to you.

July 15, 2012, 05:35 AM

Don't tell the guys at MarlinOwners, or they will cry in their cornflakes...

I know I am...

Jack O'Conner
July 15, 2012, 04:18 PM
This is a 150 yd target from my Marlin:

July 15, 2012, 04:25 PM

Now that I have a group centered, I'll check at longer range. I hope I will be able to do that too.

I will say I am not a huge fan of the stock rear sight. Part of the problem is a shiny spot that makes it hard to get good resolution.

July 15, 2012, 04:44 PM
You can apply some sight black for a temporary solution, or carefully paint it flat black for a more permanent solution.

July 15, 2012, 04:47 PM

Or I could use this as an excuse to buy a rear peep sight. :D

July 15, 2012, 04:57 PM
I think you got lucky on that Model 336 RC - CONGRATS ! !

July 15, 2012, 05:18 PM
Or I could use this as an excuse to buy a rear peep sight.That's the spirit!!!

Williams makes a good peep sight for the Marlin 336, or, if you want something a little more rugged and, in my opinion, better looking, you can take a look at the rear sight Wild West Guns makes.

I also like their "Trigger Happy" Kit--the one I installed on my 1895 Marlin was so light that the local gunsmith was very suspicious of it and did a battery of tests on it to insure that it was still safe. He couldn't find anything wrong with it--I think he was mostly just jealous. :D

July 15, 2012, 08:05 PM
Skinners on Marlins just seem to work...

July 15, 2012, 08:52 PM

You raise an interesting question. I'm not sure which 336 variant this is. The serial number puts date of manufacture in the '70's. I don't recall which year.

One listing of 336 variants (http://www.gunknowledge.com/Firearms/Marlin/Marlin%20336/index.html) says the RC stopped in '68. I was thinking this was a W because it has the gold trigger.

Any definitive way to tell?

July 16, 2012, 05:02 AM
RC will be so stamped on the barrel...

My 1958 RC has the gold trigger...

Wired leader
July 16, 2012, 09:13 AM
Ditto that.....My '57 is stamped 336 RC

July 16, 2012, 09:32 AM
Nice! I have a Skinner peep on my Marlin 1894. I like it.

July 16, 2012, 11:29 PM
My 336 my long deceased (1968) father passed down to me was produced in 1949. The American Walnut stock ( "fat forgrip") and amazing bluing is like nothing I have seen in my 61 years. The action is butter smooth, and I know my dad did not put a lot of round through it before he died. Wow is all I can say. I gave it to my son, who gave it back to me knowing he would own it in time. Good gun, great son.

gun nut
July 17, 2012, 12:00 AM
Nice 336. My wife and I both have one. Hers is newer with a cross bolt safety. It also does not like Remington corelokts. She just started hunting deer this year. Her farthest shot was 200 yards. I dont remember how many she shot this year but I think she only missed once.

July 17, 2012, 07:37 PM
Awesome! Great deal..

My 336 really doesn't like the Remington 150s either. I moved out west and haven't shot it since, so I've never tried any other load with it. I was going to give the leverlution and something from federal a chance just out of curiosity. You might buy a box of something else just to see.

July 17, 2012, 08:47 PM
I also shot some Winchester 170 gr., and the group was a bit bigger (spot the flier!).

At that point in the day I was definitely rushing to get out of the heat and humidity (I could hear the sweat gurgling past my ear plugs). No telling how it would do with concentration.