PDA

View Full Version : cleaning my Spikes

pturner67
July 14, 2012, 04:02 PM
I went to clean the barrel last night on my Spikes AR-15. I've put a few thousand rounds through it and never cleaned the barrel before.

Took it apart and looked down the barrel while pointing at some light and the bore looked spotless. Seriously, it looked like it just left the factory.

I went ahead and sprayed some Remington brite bore cleaner through it and ran a bore snake through it that I sprayed with the cleaner. Looked through it again and it looked exactly the same.

Am I missing something? I'm not talking about the BCG. That needed cleaning. I was expecting after a few thousand rounds to have some residue or something in the bore/barrel beyond the residue where the bolt meets the upper receiver.

AK103K
July 14, 2012, 04:20 PM
Clean it right and get back to us. ;)

pturner67
July 14, 2012, 04:32 PM
AK, I researched before I did it and saw many people cleaning the bore exactly the way I did it. Spray bore cleaner, let sit for a bit, run a snake. The only thing I saw different was that some also used cleaning patches.

Please let me know what is "right" versus what I did.

Thanks

AK103K
July 14, 2012, 04:42 PM
Bore snakes are more or less a field expedient. Even "if" I were to use one (I wont), Id still clean the gun when I got back in.

For the barrel, you alternate a wet bronze brush and dry patches until the patches come out fairly clean. They wont come out white, but you want them closer to white than dark. You also need a chamber brush to properly clean the chamber. The rest of the gun gets cleaned and relubed as needed.

I know a lot of people seem to think you dont need to clean your guns, but Im not one of them. One round or a thousand, the gun gets cleaned at the earliest convenience.

pturner67
July 14, 2012, 04:44 PM
I saw a few running brushes as well. I will get the rod and patches and get back to you. Thanks!

Quentin2
July 14, 2012, 05:16 PM
Pturner, sounds like what you're doing is all right. Overcleaning over the years tends to be more harmful to a gun than undercleaning.

AK103K
July 14, 2012, 05:22 PM
Improper cleaning, over or under, harms the gun.

DnPRK
July 14, 2012, 08:36 PM
Run a patch which is sloppy wet with a copper solvent and let it sit for 5 minutes. Then run another dry patch through it. If it comes out blue, then there is still copper in your bore from bullet jackets.

Sinlessorrow
July 14, 2012, 09:19 PM
you did fine.

I have been cleaning my AR-15 the same way for 5rs now and have 10s of thousands of rounds through a few guns with no issues.

boresnake down the barrel
dissemblance of the BCG
wipe down BCG, reassemble
clean upper with rag, clean lower with rag.
scrub chamber and dry.

that is honestly all a AR-15 needs.

now if its a fancy SS barrel designed for precision you should properly clean the barrel using the proper tools and cleaners, but for a standard CL barrel its not needed.

if you are dead set on using steel rods DO NOT, i repeat DO NOT harpoon the barrel, the proper way to use a rod is to attach the bore brush and put the rod down the barrel(chamber to crown) and pull the brush through, never push the brush.

pturner67
July 15, 2012, 03:30 PM
Thanks for all the response guys.