PDA

View Full Version : Which Optics for a 6.5 Grendel

DeadCenter
July 8, 2012, 08:52 PM
I am planning my next AR build and going with the 6.5 Grendel but my dilemma is what scope to go with. I am looking at the NightForce NXS 5.5X22 but wondering if I can get by with (and be happy with) something far less than the $2k price tag of the NF. What are you long range shooters using out there that you really like?

zoomie
July 8, 2012, 09:11 PM
Leupold Mark 4, VX-3, Bushnell 6500, Viper PST... lots of quality options a step or two below NF. I have a couple NF scopes, but I also understand that they are WAY overkill for my uses. I could have done with something cheaper and likely been completely satisfied, but I'm odd that way.

http://www.snipercentral.com/scopereviews.htm

Chinny33
July 9, 2012, 12:16 AM
leupold vx-6

NWCP
July 9, 2012, 04:39 AM
Take a look at the Leupold AR series.

Palmetto-Pride
July 9, 2012, 05:23 AM
I have a Bushnell 6500T that doesn't miss a beat tracks perfectly and stays zeroed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

madcratebuilder
July 9, 2012, 06:56 AM
My Grendel was been hitting steel past 1k yds with a Vortex Viper PA, these are under $500. The 6.5-20X50 is plenty of magnification, these scopes track very well and give up very little in optic quality. They have a basic V-plex reticule and basic zero set turrets.

DeadCenter
July 9, 2012, 07:48 AM
My Grendel was been hitting steel past 1k yds with a Vortex Viper PA, these are under $500. The 6.5-20X50 is plenty of magnification, these scopes track very well and give up very little in optic quality. They have a basic V-plex reticule and basic zero set turrets.

I have read some good things about the Vortex Viper scopes and that might be a good alternative to consider. Do you know how the PA compares to the PST models?

madcratebuilder
July 12, 2012, 06:48 AM
The PST's have a complex reticule, not a simple cross hair the PA's have. The PST turrets are target type and offer the user more options. The higher price also gives you better optical quality. If the budget allows the PST it is a better scope.

If my budget allowed I would have three PST's, it doesn't so I have two Vortex Vipers and a Alpen Apex XP on my long range rifles. The Alpen XP (http://www.opticsplanet.com/alpen-apex-xp-6-24x50mm-sf-30mm-water-proof-rifle-scope-matte-black.html) is the best budget scope I have used to date. If the Alpen continues to tract the rest of this shooting year it well have my official "cheap bastard" stamp of approval.

tobnpr
July 12, 2012, 03:00 PM

My son also uses a Vortex Viper- "only" a 3.5-10x- on his 6.5 Grendel. It's on a Warne RAMP that has a mini-red dot side mounted for up close and personal should he want to shoot offhand that way.

Even at 1000 yards and only 10X, the clarity of the Vortex is incredible.

Madcrate is correct. If you can swing the PST, go for it.
But if you're shooting targets at known distances (as most of us that shoot at a range, do), you don't need a complex ranging reticle.

You can't go wrong with the Viper, or the Viper PST.

Nor, would you ever regret the NF if you've got the coin...

DeadCenter
July 12, 2012, 04:43 PM
I think I'll go see if Cabela's has any of the Vortex Vipers PST's in stock that I can look through. Sounds like it might be a good option. With $1k difference between a comparable NF I'm thinking it may not be worth it for me who will just be range and vamint shooting, but do want decent glass. Although I like Burris scopes in general, I am less than impressed with the Black Diamond I have on my varmint .223, so I am sorry I didn't spend a few extra $$ for a better high power scope. I don't want to make that mistake again.

thesheepdog
July 13, 2012, 03:18 PM
Super Sniper HD.

RT
July 14, 2012, 12:52 PM
I have been very happy with the Vortex Viper PST on my FN SPR. It has fit my needs perfectly. Maybe in the future I'll upgrade to a NF or USO.

http://i339.photobucket.com/albums/n443/thorm001/27712d9d.jpg

DeadCenter
July 15, 2012, 11:37 AM
Thanks everybody for the input. I am leaning pretty hard towards the Vortex Viper PST 6-24, I think it fit my needs pretty good and not break the bank. My Grendel barrel is not going to be ready until Nov/Dec, I'm getting pretty anxious now with the wait LOL

Palmetto-Pride
July 15, 2012, 12:19 PM
I just ordered the Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP with the EBR-1 MRAD Reticle and .1 mrad turrets. Makes sense to have turrets and reticle that matches.