PDA

View Full Version : Why Did You Buy An EBR?

Shotgun693
July 8, 2012, 04:40 PM
I'll be square with ya, I got mine because times are tough and getting tougher. It can always be a backup hunting gun but guarding the Homestead from Bad Guys is it's real reason.

Capybara
July 8, 2012, 05:06 PM
I bought my first one because I am from California and it ****** me off when stupid, fascist politicians in this state think that they can be a good nanny to me, rather than letting me exercise my 2A rights. Didn't even really need an EBR, but bought it because the people who make our ridiculous laws in Sacramento don't want me to have one. A raised middle finger at them, if you will.

Built my AR pistol just because it is something different and fun and because SBRs are illegal in California and an AR pistol is the closest thing we can legally own to an SBR. Once again, if you are trying to take my rights away, I will make sure to exercise them so that you don't win.

So my reasons for buying EBRs are purely political, although I do enjoy shooting them.

Willie Lowman
July 8, 2012, 05:08 PM
I bought my first one back when it was a "banned assault weapon"...

Before that folks were buying them because they were "Survivalists"

Before that folks were buying them because the commies were coming.

I got mine simply because I wanted an AR-15. There wasn't any socio-political crap tied to my purchase. Just liked 'em and wanted one.

10-96
July 8, 2012, 05:10 PM
Oh, I guess my reasons are: They're kinda fun. They're far from delicate- they can withstand incredible abuse (think basic training). Uncle Sam seemed quite insistant that I become familiar with them. They make good varmint rifles in a pinch when a heavy bbl long range rifle isnt available. They don't ever seem to go down in value. Even my beat up ones I could probably sell for what I bought them for in years past. Once well broken in- they don't require near as much maintenance as some here would have you believe. They work fine and dandy pretty much stripped down and plain-jane if you want them to. It's easy enough to teach new shooters on. They're cheaper to feed than a .30-06, .243, .308, and a whole bunch of other cartridges. And I guess the last reason I can think of is- nobody was around to tell me NOT to get one.:D

Marquezj16
July 8, 2012, 05:28 PM
I bought my first one because I was not allowed to take home the one I was issued. Then I bought the second one because it was a great price. Then I built the third because I wanted to learn more about it. Four and five are my next projects.:D

JeffSSig
July 8, 2012, 06:38 PM
I bought mine and many more after for a few reasons.
One it is a very versatile gun. In moments I can now go from a 22LR to as big as the 458 SOCOM with the swapping of the uppers for those I dont have a dedicated lower for.
This was the weapon I used and trained with in the Marines (well the M16)
So I think I know the AR15 rather well.
Plus it is just hard to beat as far as reliability and looks.

Art Eatman
July 8, 2012, 07:13 PM
My AR is set up as a truck gun/varmint rifle. If need be, I figure I could repel zombies, but I see more coyotes than zombies. But I'm not supposed to shoot "Saddleback", my neighbors' sorta-pet coyote that cleans up leftovers.

Beentown71
July 8, 2012, 07:16 PM
The first one was to experience one long term. The second was for plain fun. Saiga AK convert then a few AR's.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk 2

insomni
July 8, 2012, 08:40 PM
Because a combat rifle is a flexible rifle.

Also, very familiar with the platform.

theunderdog1982
July 8, 2012, 08:53 PM
I used to live in CA and I wanted an AR badly but I refused to put a bullet button on it or go featureless so I waited till I moved out of CA to buy one. Now I can have a normal mag release button and normal standard magazines.

BIG P
July 8, 2012, 09:03 PM
Just because I likeum,You can never tell when you might need to keep the BG's on they're side of the fence.The ERB does that pretty good.:D:D

Charlie Fox
July 8, 2012, 09:17 PM
I bought mine for work at the time, but also because I didn't know if I'd ever be able to get another. Also being familiar with, and having recieved a LOT of training on the platform (AR) gave me a great deal of confidence and a sense of legal security if I ever had to use it.

chris in va
July 8, 2012, 09:18 PM
Fun, possible HD use, preemptive buy in case they're banned.

ripnbst
July 8, 2012, 09:23 PM
I got mine because of the uneasy state of pretty much the entire world. I had a bolt .270 and sold it after building my AR the AR does everything I was using the .270 for as well and does things the bolt .270 couldn't. I have recently found PTA of enjoyment in the shooting sports so my AR fills that role too. Bottom line the gun is so versatile I couldn't justify NOT having one. Looking at getting an AK next.

Achilles11B
July 8, 2012, 10:41 PM
First firearm I ever shot was an M16 in basic. As I was preparing to separate from the service, I decided that shooting was pretty awesome and that I wanted to pursue it as a hobby after I got out. Because it was a platform I was familiar with, I decided the AR would be a good fit.

Fishbed77
July 8, 2012, 10:42 PM
I bought (actually built) my first AR-15 because it was a firearm that I could build myself from parts. I find that extremely gratifying.

zxcvbob
July 8, 2012, 11:14 PM
I recently bought one that doesn't *look* evil (unless you notice the 30-round magazine) a Ruger Mini-14 with a "high-grade" walnut stock. It replaces a walnut-and-blue Marlin 1894C lever action as my Home Defense Rifle. A USGI .30 Carbine would fit in the same category, especially loaded with softpoint ammo.

If there's ever a civil unrest, I want people seeing me to think "look how cute, he's got his dad's old deer rifle", rather than getting shot on sight by a rookie cop or deputy just on principle because my gun has black furniture.

I'm really liking this .223 / 5.56 cartridge.

kraigwy
July 8, 2012, 11:20 PM
I got my M1A in 1977 'cause I wanted to get into high power shooting.

I got my M1 from the then DCM because they were offered as a "once in a life time deal" back in the early 80s.

I got my AR (A1 or SP1) because I wanted something as close as I could get to the gun I carried in Vietnam. I use it now for 3 gun and multi gun matches shooting < 400 yards.

I got my FN FAL because my son got it for my for my birthday several years ago.

I got my AR (A2 style, White Oak) to allow me to get with the program as ARs were out shooting M1A/M14s at Service Rifle matches. Or any time I need an AR for > 400 yards.

I don't hunt or shoot any other varments with my so called EBRs, I have too many other rifles better suited for that.

I got my M1 Carbine because I heard CMP was running out, just made the cut.

Auto426
July 9, 2012, 12:28 AM
I bought mine for it's versatility and the fun factor. I'm not much of a hunter, but my AR will work fine for almost any game in my area. 5.56mm is cheap, fun and easy to shoot plus different calibers are only an upper receiver swap away. Uppers in various calibers are easy to find and I can have them shipped to my front door. I may even get around to having my receiver registered so I can run NFA length uppers. It's also quite fun to customize the gun with the myriad of different accessories and parts out there.

jmr40
July 9, 2012, 04:34 AM
Because Bill Clinton said I shouldn't have one!!!

To be honest that is exactly why bought my 1st one during the AWB. Now that the ban has expired I have grown to really appreciate what the platform can do. I now own 4 and am amazed at how accurate and reliable they are. With good bullets they make a decent big game rifle and do double duty as a personal protection rifle. They are darn near perfect as a varmit rifle with accuracy hanging right with a bolt action costing much more money.

madcratebuilder
July 9, 2012, 07:02 AM
The first one was issued, I had no choice. Ten years later I bought one because they are fun to shot, accurate, use cheap ammo. I'm still building and shooting them 35 years later, I must like them, eight of them and still looking.

Edward429451
July 9, 2012, 08:47 AM
My first EBR wasn't an Evil Black Rifle but rather an Excellant Black Rifle, more commonly referred to as an M1A. One day my friend showed up showing off his new Bushmaster AR. My Wife didn't think much of this friend of mine and if he had one, I had to have one to keep up with the Jones's. I had one within one week after that. :D

It was funny the day it came in. They called while I was working and so I sent the Wife down to pick it up. Before the end of the day, I heard on the radio that a Colorado Springs cop had lost an AR off of the back of his squad car on the same street as my gun dealer.

No, I didn't have two waiting when I went home, but it was a nice thought. As far as I know, the police weapon was never recovered.

Jo6pak
July 9, 2012, 06:21 PM
EBRs are the sports cars of the gun world.

Justice06RR
July 9, 2012, 06:59 PM
I bought my first AR15, a Bushmaster Patrolman carbine, because the opportunity to buy one opened up for me as a trade for one of my pistols. I'm initially more of a semi-auto handgun guy, but after owning my first one, I've bought 2 more AR's and currently don't own any pistols.

That, and i'm a fan of tactical military rifles like the M16/M4 variants.

Baba Louie
July 9, 2012, 07:02 PM
Once I left college and started earning a little money, I bought a Remington 7400, a self loading rifle (SLR) carbine in .30-06 for hunting. It was black polymer stocked. Is it an EBR? dunno. Owned a Garand, an M1 Carbine... both SLRs with a bit of history behind them, but they are either too heavy or underpowered for hunting IMO.

In '85, I wanted to try a Colt in 5.56. That led to a Springfield SAR-48, the M1A, etc. No big deal. 7.62x51 surplus was cheap. Got a cheap Chinese AK and an SKS or three back then as well, just because. Not my cup o tea, but ammo was cheap as were the rifles. Bought a Mitchell Yugo AK in 7.62x51 as well then. Just something different to shoot other than the old bolt action milsurps I owned. Somewhere along the way an FN49 (egyptian) and a Ljungman Ag42 found their way into the safe. Weird but wonderful.

When the Omnibus Crime Bill was passed, it meant I had mine, but I still used either the 7400 or my Winchester 94 for deer hunts.

While they all bring a smile to my face when shooting them, I have no Walter Mitty dreams of glory, tho I do feel every citizen should have access to and familiarity with whatever weaponry our military uses to protect our national borders. It isn't or should not be an Us v. Them internal situation, but rather it is US against anyone outside who dares the unthinkable... and I doubt they'd dare, nor do I see or hear myself shouting wolverine anytime soon.

But I was a Boy Scout. ;)

They'll all either be passed down to the kids or grandkids, or should they all decide to live in CA all their lives, sold off to friends.

rivertamer
July 9, 2012, 07:39 PM
Love the customization possibilities..... By the parts.... Make the gun and then make the gun yours..... Big fun to shoot also..... And great shtf gun.

Sent from my tricked out Synergy Evo!

MOshooter65202
July 9, 2012, 10:37 PM
Had a M1 30 carbine since the mid 70s and finally was bitten by the AR bug in the early 90s,ended up with a couple Colts along with another Colt upper.
The reason for purchasing my Colt AR 15s then was because I liked the rifles and enjoyed shooting the AR platform.
My interest in the AR has been re-sparked with all of the different configurations and calibers available,i'm also interested in building one or two additional AR15s. I also have a DPMS LR 308 AP4 carbine AR style 308 rifle which has been a very accurate little whitetail rifle,and i'm also interested in the 338 federal in the AR style rifle for hunting.
I don't consider them evil black rifles just rifles that happen to be black.

tahunua001
July 9, 2012, 10:46 PM
I bought mine just to say I owned one...I was in the navy and had never been much of a gun guy except when I was hunting and I only knew two models, remington 700 and marlin model 60(the only two guns I ever owned). I called up my brother and told him the next time I was home on leave I was going to give him 1800 dollars so he could go buy me a colt. he told me to give him a half that and he would build me one to my specs... about 6 months later I had this
http://i1156.photobucket.com/albums/p563/tahunua001/1009101549.jpg

only afterward did I find out though that AR15s are everywhere and everywhere and everybody and their dogs owns one. so I had to think outside the box for my second EBR. After doing a bit of readign I came to two conclusions,.: not a lot of people have wood on their ARs and not a lot of people get the AR15 in 9mm so I did one better

MY SECOND EBR IS 9MM AND HAS WOOD FURNITURE!!!
so I guess you could say both of my EBRs were just because I can:cool:

Samson23
July 9, 2012, 10:48 PM
Customization. I'm an avid auto enthusiast and have spent half as much as my car cost on modifications. Its an enjoyable and satisfying hobby, if a blackhole of $$$. Also, I just love how simple these weapons are. I did a ton of research prior to buying and again when deciding on mods, so that I fully understand what's going on. It makes for a rewarding, non-black box experience.

gunfighter48
July 9, 2012, 11:02 PM
When I went thru Army basic training in 11/67 all the EBRs were going to Nam. We trained with M14s, which is not a bad thing. But being 19 year olds we wanted to play with the Mattel Toy!!

I bought my first EBR about 18 years ago, a Olympic Arms PCR with 18 in 1-8 twist barrel. Had fun with it for 3 years and sold it to buy other toys. Regretted it ever since. So last Aug I bought a S&W M&P 15 Sport and love it. the 1-8 5R barrel is very accurate with factory 55 to 62 grain ammo that I shoot. If I can scrape together enough money I'm going to by another S&W AR. They are great guns for the money. S&W knows how to make great firearms!!

ScottRiqui
July 9, 2012, 11:11 PM
My last Skipper was an avid shooter/reloader, and would take the entire squadron to the base range once a month, alternating months between the M4 and the M11. I wanted something similar to practice with between sessions, so I bought one of the range's lightly-used Bushmaster A2 rifles for just over $600 out-the-door.

I resisted the urge to swap out the trigger for something lighter/smoother, or mess with the sights, so that it feels/shoots as close to the squadron rifles as possible, but I've since moved on to my next assignment, so it might be time to start modding things!

tahunua001
July 9, 2012, 11:35 PM
^ yeah you are not likely to find a skipper willing to subject his crew to that in norfolk, the 16 lanes at camp allen is the only range between ft eustis(if they even have one) and little creek so there are a LOT of people using that range. I would hate to see the lines caused by a whole squadron. I've gotten there just when the NATO guys were all doing their weapons quals....they asked us to come back in 3 hours and offered free tshirts to say they were sorry...

never did get them though....jerks:D

ScottRiqui
July 9, 2012, 11:48 PM
Yep - this is when I was out at Little Creek, and the Rodriguez range is right there on base. It's only open for command shooting, though - no recreational shooting, so that pushes all the recreational shooters over to Camp Allen. I do most of my shooting at Camp Allen, and like you said, the lines can get crazy-long. I don't even try to go in the mornings during the week, since they have that time set aside for command shoots. Afternoons during the week aren't usually crowded, and on the weekends I just try to be there when they open.

It was actually Camp Allen that sold me my Bushmaster. They sell off their rentals after a month or two, before they've had time to accumulate any appreciable wear. Since they sell them for their wholesale replacement price, it doesn't really cost them anything to replace them, and they've got no incentive to hold onto them until they're worn out.

jjyergler
July 10, 2012, 09:54 PM
I figure one day, after Texas breaks away, I figure if I show up at the border to volunteer, they'll appreciate if I have my own equipment. :eek:

Sport45
July 10, 2012, 10:40 PM
Because they rule the roost at high power matches.

CUBAN REDNECK
July 10, 2012, 11:11 PM
After I escaped communism...:cool:

Quentin2
July 11, 2012, 07:35 PM
Like Craigwy, I carried the M16 in Vietnam. When I got out of the Army I really didn't give the AR-15 much thought over the years, mainly buying handguns, shotguns and hunting rifles.

Then the AWB sunset got me interested and the last election lit a fire under me. I did an AR build, loved it, so did two more. What was I waiting on! :o

wwd88888
July 12, 2012, 12:59 PM
I bought my AR in the early 1990's specifically because they were going to be banned. I intended to sell it for a profit, but never did. It is too accurate, easy to maintain, and my wife can shoot it.

I've always wondered if they really get banned and you have to turn em in, would you only have to turn in the lower receiver?

frogspit
July 12, 2012, 02:46 PM
To tell the truth ,I have no idea other than the fact that I've been wanting one for a while. Having said that ,it was a bad idea . I'm now looking a LaRues . This could get a lot more costly than previously planned on !

theP8riot
July 14, 2012, 07:40 AM
Because I like guns. All of them.

JKHolman
July 17, 2012, 10:18 AM
" EBRs are the sports cars of the gun world. "
_ _ _ _ _ _ __

Yep!

TATER
July 17, 2012, 02:14 PM
They were not called EBRs when I got my first oneā€¦ TG&Y Special Colt SP-1 "Slab side" with pencil barrel. 275.00 New! :eek: How time goes by........

ronl
July 17, 2012, 02:36 PM
I bought my first EBR, an AK, just because the D.C crowd said I couldn't have them. Funny thing is that they seemed to multiply. Leave one in the safe and one became two, and two became three. Then they started to morph into AR's and they multiplied. Then the AR's morphed into a RA XCR-L and a Daewoo K-2. Just recently put together one of those EBR's just to get at the 'yotes, and it shoots so well that it, for all intents and purposes, replaced my Remy 700 .222. One for shooting high power, one for varmints, one for home defense, and the rest just because I like them.

jason41987
July 17, 2012, 02:50 PM
many of these "EBRs" make great, all around, all purpose tools, plenty of options available in the aftermarket for form and function, and theyll do whatever you need them to do and then some... so the real question is... why not?