PDA

View Full Version : Ruger 10/22: Why Should I?

Single Six
July 6, 2012, 03:45 PM
As far as .22s go, I know that the Ruger pretty much rules the roost, especially as far as reliability & accuracy are concerned. Of course, the cottage industry of accessories built around these rifles is a consideration, too. Wal Mart sells the 10/22 at a pretty darn good price [$247.00 in my neck of the woods]. These are the stainless, synthetic stocked versions I'm talking about, by the way...my preferred configuration. Problem is, I don't hunt. I'm mostly a handgunner. My kids have been exposed to shooting, but by and large, it doesn't get them too excited. Those three facts alone take away several reasons for me to buy one. So, can anyone come up with some other good reasons for me to buy a 10/22? C'mon guys, make it good...if you can show me the light, I can possibly convince my wife to let me get one!;)

Pahoo
July 6, 2012, 04:02 PM
Because you are Ruger fan and this is one model, you have wanted for a long time. Better hurry before they start making them in China. ..... :eek:

Be Safe !!!

Single Six
July 6, 2012, 04:06 PM
Pahoo: Guilty as charged; I am indeed a devoted follower of all things Ruger. Count on you to cut through the BS and go right for the jugular!

Yung.gunr
July 6, 2012, 04:18 PM
Is there any way that the 10/22 would get your kids into shooting? Plus, a lot of fun a lot cheaper then any other caliber.

SteelChickenShooter
July 6, 2012, 04:41 PM
Here's a good reason to buy a 10-22. If you are willing to do your part, they can be a real blast to shoot with friends & family. Set up some home made target stands and tape or staple actual scale size paper silhouette targets out at four different distances of your choosing. Mount a Simmons AO scope on it with adjustable target turret knobs. Zero the scope for the chickens then dial in the setting needed to be on center for the pigs, turkeys and rams.
Then have some fun. Make a score sheet to record the holes in the paper animals. Replace the paper or tape over for the next shooter. Maximum score is 40 points- 10 per animal. If you take a liking to this sport, you may find yourself making 8 target stands and making multiple copies of paper animal targets as well as designing score sheets. It happened to me. And then I bought a few more 10-22's for friends and family so each could setup and shoot their own instead of passing one rifle around.

Single Six
July 6, 2012, 05:07 PM
Yung.gunr: We're on the same page with the .22 philosophy. I introduced the kids to shooting with my first-ever handgun, a Single Six. They didn't like having to cock it for every shot, so I picked up a 22/45. Surprise; they disregarded my warnings to keep their thumbs out of the way of the cocking knob when shooting, and both of them got sliced digits as a result. The fact that their daddy did not get cut thumbs because of a proper hold cut no ice with them. Now neither of them really wants to do it anymore. :(

SG29736
July 6, 2012, 05:17 PM
I have an inexpensive bolt action 22. I mostly shoot hangun competitions and have a Ruger 22/45. My local club started shooting Ruger Rimfire matches that require a 22 handgun and rifle. That was my excuse to break down and get a 10-22. I sent the bolt off to get it reworked and with some trigger work it's pretty nice, nothing fancy. I still need to alter the wood stock a bit so that I can more comfortably get down and see the iron sights. Mark

Also, I'm not the biggest gun tinkerer myself, but was surprised at how simple it is to make changes on the 10/22's. I was amazed at how simple they are.

sholling
July 6, 2012, 06:59 PM
I have 6-7 10/22s and while I am a fan I have to be honest and say don't count on stellar accuracy right out of the box - especially with a synthetic stock. 2-3 MOA is about average out of the box accuracy with bulk ammo and the flexibility of the synthetic stock can make that worse. What they are is fun and reliable right out of the box and an absolute kick to modify. But a word of warning - they're like potato chips and you can't stop at just one. :D

These are all MOA or better rifles when firing match ammo.
http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u197/damnfineguy/22s%20-%20800dpi/IMG_0272a-1.jpg
http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u197/damnfineguy/22s%20-%20800dpi/IMG_0221a.jpg
http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u197/damnfineguy/22s%20-%20800dpi/IMG_0220a.jpg
http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u197/damnfineguy/22s%20-%20800dpi/IMG_0147a.jpg

Pahoo
July 6, 2012, 07:02 PM
but was surprised at how simple it is to make changes on the 10/22's. I was amazed at how simple they are
Yes, these little guys really tease you, into tinkering. In total, I have built up about six target conversions. Also done many trigger jobs to varying degrees. I finally worked my way down to four, if you include the Charger. All have had trigger jobs, buffers, auto bolt releases as well as mag releases and so on!! I even have an older Chief A.J. in my collection. Not too many folks remember him. He is one of the first guys to ever get the tinkering bug. .. :eek:

Be Safe !!!

Capybara
July 6, 2012, 07:04 PM
The ultimate new shooter gun. Better for little kids than handguns and better for first time shooters who are recoil and noise averse. Every shooter should own a 10-22 so they can bring their non-shooter friends and welcome them into the ranks of shooters. I bought my son one but I really dig shooting it as well. Great gun.

Hawg
July 6, 2012, 07:15 PM
If a 10/22 is what you want then you don't need anyone to tell you to. BUT the 10/22 is the worst thing for accuracy out of the box there is. If you want to spend a chunk of money to make it shoot as well as an out of the Box Marlin then go for it.

DnPRK
July 6, 2012, 08:09 PM
A handgun is at the bottom of my list for teaching new shooters. Starting new shooters with handguns is setting up a bad experience. Handguns are difficult to hold precisely, have a short sight radius and shotgun-like patterns by a beginner does not instill self-confidence. I can see how they would lose interest quickly.

A better approach is a lightweight 10/22 with a red dot scope and reactive targets instead of paper. Balloons and clay pigeons make good reactive targets. Seeing a balloon pop or clay targets shatter is good visual reinforcement for a beginner. Even bouncing an empty pop can along the ground is preferable to punching paper targets.

Botswana
July 6, 2012, 08:43 PM
I learned to shoot with a .22 rifle, so I may be biased.

A good little .22 rifle is just fun to shoot, even if you're mostly a handgunner. Ammo is cheap and plentiful and the rifles have minimal recoil and noise. They're just fun for plinking even if that is all you use them for.

Finding a good rifle is the key. If you like shooting, you'll enjoy shooting a .22 rifle. There are just no drawbacks. If you're already a Ruger fan, then the 10/22 is just a given.

ZOOM2X
July 6, 2012, 09:26 PM
I have been more of a collector than a shooter and have a bunch of pistols, 22, 25, 380, 9, 38, 40, 45 ACP and 45 LC and a few shotguns, 410,16, 12 and a few 22 rifles that haven't been shot in decades. When Ruger came out with the 10/22 take down, with carrying case, I had to buy one for the grandsons who are now 3 and 5. May need to get another! Also got 2 BX-25 mags. The carrying case has a pocket that the Browning Buck Mark 22 might fit. Haven't tried it to see yet, but it would be neat to take the pistol and the rifle shooting. I'm getting towards retirement and then I'll spend more time with those boys. I've made them NRA Life members and look forward to going to the NRA range. http://www.nrahq.org/shootingrange/nrahqrange/ It's near their home.

It's such a cool rifle you NEED one!

MarkDozier
July 7, 2012, 03:42 AM
Wow, A couple of you guys are so wrong it is sad. My 10/22 is very accurate out of the box. I find that most of them are.
I did 3/4" 10 shot groups with my 10/22 and 2 inch groups at 100 yards with 10 m/h winds.

madcratebuilder
July 7, 2012, 06:47 AM
The 10/22 can be really good or really bad out of the box and anything in between. They all have excellent potential. The oem barrel can rival any aftermarket barrel if it's set back .070" and you make a modified Benz chamber. Tighten the head space to minimum spec.

The International model is my favorite. Everyone should own two or three.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d37/madcratebuilder/international02.jpg

wingman
July 7, 2012, 07:20 AM
Wow, A couple of you guys are so wrong it is sad. My 10/22 is very accurate out of the box. I find that most of them are.
I did 3/4" 10 shot groups with my 10/22 and 2 inch groups at 100 yards with 10 m/h winds.

I would agree, the 4 that I've owned all were excellent out of the box as in any 22 they prefer certain brands of ammo.

BigMikey76
July 7, 2012, 07:46 AM
Wal Mart sells the 10/22 at a pretty darn good price [$247.00 in my neck of the woods].

Sounds about $100 overpriced, maybe more. Then again, that is par for the course with 10/22s. I won't get into the "which one is more accurate out of the box" argument, and I won't bash the Ruger's reliability or reputation, but I can certainly weigh in regarding pricing. The Marlin 795 is $150 regular price and as low as $100 if you find it on sale. If getting it past the wife is an issue, then telling her you found an option that is at least $100 cheaper may grease the wheels a bit. It will also reduce future regret if the kiddos don't like it and it ends up being under used.

As far as accuracy, mine is as accurate as you could ever want out of the box (if a novice shooter like me can make the occasional 5-shot-one-hole group, then Marlin must have done something right).

If the 10/22 is really what you want, go for it. Do yourself a favor, though, and at least check out some of their competition before you drink the Ruger Kool-Aid. You may be happy with what you find.

Rifleman1776
July 7, 2012, 08:03 AM
My 10/22 is a household staple. Like my hammer. I wouldn't be without it.
But, it sounds like you really don't need, or want, a semi-auto. But, being a Ruger fan how about getting a Ruger 77/22? I know I would love to have one also.

Bamashooter
July 7, 2012, 08:10 AM
I have 2 ruger 10/22's. The first one I bought in 1989 and the newest one 2yrs ago. From my experience they arent as inaccurate as some people say they are and are more accurate that people give them credit for being. They might cost a little more but from my experience you get what you pay for. Ive owned other semi auto's and they shoot good but they arent made as well as the 10/22. My oldest one is 23yrs old and still shoots very well and its never been down because of a broken part. The sky is the limit on what you can do with the 10/22 platform.

Panfisher
July 7, 2012, 10:04 AM
Most kids learn easier or rifles, kids like reactive targets. Plastic pop bottles full of water make wonderful cheap reactive targets, so do clay pigeons, spinner targets, dueling trees and the like. My ruger 10/22 has never been a stellar target rifle except for a phase when I bought a hvy barrel and re-made the stock, but now is back to the original design. Personally I hate the stock ruger factory open sights and finally replaced then with I believe a set of williams fire sights what a difference wish I had done it years a go. Accuracy is more than good enough to spin targets, drops squirrels or whatever else is needed. Other option is a cheaper red dot type site, kids can quickly pick up the dot and shoot it well. Besides they are a lot of fun, but pretty much all rifles especially .22's are.

Botswana
July 7, 2012, 11:32 AM
As someone mentioned, you can get a Marlin semiauto much cheaper. If you're just looking at a plinker I think the Marlin is fine.

If you plan on modifying your gun, the 10/22 is the way to go. I've seen plenty of options for the Marlin, but the aftermarket support for the 10/22 is much better. Though if you're looking at extended mags, do your homework first.

FiveInADime
July 7, 2012, 12:54 PM
http://img858.imageshack.us/img858/6901/1000836.jpg
Marlin 795 - Boyds Thumbhole stock.

http://img863.imageshack.us/img863/7560/targets.jpg

50 yard groups CCI SV ammo.

The gun was $100, stock was ~$65

I don't know if they are all like this but on the right day I can shoot in the 90's on a 10-bull 50 yard benchrest target.

Sent From My Galaxy S 4g Using Tapatalk

trkkshotbry
July 8, 2012, 01:08 AM
Because you like it and you can afford it. You don't actually need any other reason.