PDA

View Full Version : 10/22 Bolt Release

nmbrinkman
July 2, 2012, 08:23 PM
I've been looking at upgrading my 10/22 bolt release to the one where you just slightly pull back the action to send the bolt home. I noticed that the ones I've found don't lock the bolt to the rear on empty. Is there a release that will do both functions? (lock to the rear on empty AND slide home when when the bolt is slightly pulled back)

Jeff F
July 2, 2012, 10:48 PM
No, not with just the bolt lock. There is a bolt lock with a modded magazine on the market that will lock the bolt back after the last round.
You can mod your bolt lock yourself with a dremel or a file, the last one I did with a chain saw file to release when you pull it back when its locked back. Its a real easy mod. Just search the web, modding 10/22 bolt lock.

Pahoo
July 3, 2012, 10:16 AM
Jeff F + 1
There must be some liability issues that prevents Ruger from providing their 10/22's with the auto-bolt release. Makes a lot more sense to have it. ... ;)

Be Safe !!!

zippy13
July 3, 2012, 12:18 PM
Jeff + 2 (chain saw file is perfect for the job)
Pahoo + 1

I've long suspected that lawyers run Ruger's R & D facility.

nmbrinkman
July 3, 2012, 12:48 PM
So with the modded (or aftermarket) bolt release and a modded magazine I can get both functions?

Pahoo
July 3, 2012, 12:58 PM
brinkman
Separate the two functions as they are indirectly related. Now, you already know how to modifiy the OEM bolt release so go for it. .... :)

On the modified rotary magazine, It is an after market product that has a little arm that hold the mag open after last round. For all the work I have done on these, I have never used one so not familiar with the interaction. I have only seen a picture of one. Most of the time, I can feel the last round or there after .... ;)

Be Safe !!!

nmbrinkman
July 3, 2012, 06:45 PM
Separate the two functions as they are indirectly related.

I understood that they weren't related once he explained it. Ask my wife, my questions are never reduced to the lowest common denominator. ;) I should of just asked "So I'll need an aftermarket mag to get the bolt to lock on empty?"

I'm a military guy (USMC '00-'08) and I'm my oldest is going to be about ready to learn how to safely shoot. I want to mod the rifle to operate like an AR (easy bolt release and lock open on empty) so I can teach them "Barney Style" like the Marines did me when I was a kid (18). Thanks for the help.

Pahoo
July 3, 2012, 07:01 PM
Ask my wife, my questions are never reduced to the lowest common denominator.
Well, mine are and just ask my wife as it drivers her nuts. I guess I got that from being an Estimator/Planner or perhaps from the Navy. ... ;)

Now then, it's been a number of years since I saw one of these after market modified magazine; so I'm not sure if they still make them. Seems to me that they were about $50.00 and perhaps others can shed some light. .. :)

Be Safe !!!