PDA

View Full Version : School Me On The BAR Lightweight Stalker

Coltman 77
July 2, 2012, 10:39 AM
Shouldered one in the gun shop Saturday and it felt great. I'm thinking of getting one in .308 or .30-06 for hog and deer hunting.

What are your experiences with this rifle?

Likes, dislikes? Suggestions?

Thank you very much for your input. :)

rbernie
July 2, 2012, 01:11 PM
I had a 30-06 and a 270 for a while.

Pros: Accurate, and very well made.

Cons: Lack of dedicated BHO feature means that dropping the floorplate/magazine also lets the bolt run into battery, and the stock didn't fit me well - the low comb made it hard to get a proper cheekweld with anything but the smallest diameter scopes.

cat9x
July 2, 2012, 04:07 PM
All MKII BAR's post 1993 mfg. (including modern production Lightweight Stalkers) have a dedicated BHO or bolt hold open. It's a lever located on the right hand side of the receiver in front of the forearm.

BAR's can be as accurate and sometimes more so than a bolt gun. My MKII Safari 270 w/ BOSS consistently shoots between 5/8" and 7/8" at 100 yards with factory Federal ammo. The stock, at least for me, has been no problem. My rifle originally had a 3x9x50mm Leupold on it no issue with cheekweld, however I now have a 3x9x40mm Zeiss which is just as comfortable.

Just my 2 biased cents :D

Coltman 77
July 3, 2012, 09:30 AM
Thanks very much for the information gentlemen. It's greatly appreciated! :D

rbernie
July 3, 2012, 06:44 PM
All MKII BAR's post 1993 mfg. (including modern production Lightweight Stalkers) have a dedicated BHO or bolt hold open. It's a lever located on the right hand side of the receiver in front of the forearm.Actually, the BHO in the MkII BARs is the magazine follower. The lever in the right front of the receiver is a simple bolt release that functions by depressing the magazine follower. Dropping the floor plate (as you would to clear a jam) will accomplish the same thing, and cause the bolt to slam home into battery.

This is unlike an AR or other semiauto, in which the BHO is dedicated and separate in function from the magazine.