PDA

View Full Version : Most accurate out of box bolt rifle?

browninghunter86
June 30, 2012, 07:10 PM
What would be the best out of box accuracy/quality rifle in 308 Win to use for precision shooting that would be under $750? Like a plain synthetic stock nothing fancy but has good action and trigger, etc...... I know it will cost more to get wood or all the stainless/ bells and whistles.......

Just curious as I am starting to look to get something more for precision shooting(will not shoot in any matches) but wanting as much accuracy/quality I can get stock from the factory . I will be reloading for the rifle

jmr40
June 30, 2012, 08:14 PM
You can buy 10 guns made by 10 different manufacturers and test all 100 rifles and some of brand "A" will be more accurate than some of brand "B". Some of brand "C" will be more accurate than some of brand "A" and less accurate than brand "B". I think you will see a greater difference between individual guns than gun makers. Sometimes you just have to pick the features you want and hope you get a good one.

But some trends tend to come up and there are some brands that seem to give you a greater chance of good accuracy, but there is no guarantee. The darling of the internet is Savage. But on a personal note, I've owned 3, my brother 1 and none were exceptionally accurate. None were bad, just not good enough to keep when we already owned more accurate rifles.

I have an FN patrol rifle that sells in that range that has proven to shoot well, a friend a Remington SPS tactical. We both like them. I've had good luck with Tikka and my Winchester hunting rifles have proven to be far more accurate than any others I've owned. I don't own one, but reports from many who do indicate the TC Venture rifles are great shooters for under $500. I've handled a few, like the trigger and am impressed. I just don't need another rifle right now. My LGS is selling them as fast as they can get them in and reports are very favorable.

warbirdlover
June 30, 2012, 08:32 PM
On all the magazine and internet accuracy "tests" I've noted that Tikka has never shot a group over 1" and most are well under. I can't say that about any of the other rifles I've read tests on.

:rolleyes:

browninghunter86
June 30, 2012, 08:34 PM
I was looking at the Remington 700s in the ADL(http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_10051_298217_-1?N=39632024+4294965700 and SPS Tacticl and SPS Varmit

I have a savage 10 FXP(Walmart combo that has accu-trigger) and the stock sucks on it so not sure if I want to sell it or get a better stock and hope it shoots well)

jrhilde
June 30, 2012, 08:38 PM
My all time favorites are the 700's and mine have been plenty accurate, but the most accurate rifle I've ever owned was a Vanguard and they can be found new for under $500---couple of the guys I shoot with also have Remingtons and Vanguards and we run into the guys with the Savages out at the range a lot. The Savages aren't shooting any more accurately than the Vanguards---the two Savages I've owned were average shooters, good, but not spectacular---John

silvrjeepr
June 30, 2012, 09:23 PM
I agree with John. While you may find good and bad from everyone, Remington and weatherby seem to hold the title in out of the box accuracy. Maybe a little less Remington since I hear that their quality has fallen in the past few years.

browninghunter86
June 30, 2012, 09:29 PM
are the Vanguards the V2 or the V1 that we are referring to here? I had looked at the newer ones before I bought the Savage 10 FXP in 308.

4runnerman
June 30, 2012, 09:32 PM
Savage hands down.

jrhilde
June 30, 2012, 09:44 PM
Not for the sake of argument, but apparently I've just been fortunate with the 700's I've owned--the one I will keep is my present 30-06, one of the new brown laminate stock with the black coated metal---I've only had it out to the range twice but it seems to be as accurate as any of the others I've owned in the past---I just have not run into the problems others apparently have had with 700's---granted though, the laminated stocks, BDL's, and CDL's are not priced for the beginner---that is one of the reasons I strongly suggest the Vanguards, very reasonable price, very well made and extremely accurate ---a lot of gun for the money with a good walnut stock----yes, I'm a traditionalist-------John

oneshot onekill
June 30, 2012, 10:23 PM
I hate to say this because I'm a died-in-the-wool Remington Man but for the price range you're looking at... Savage. You can find a tactical variation with a good stock for that $750 if you look around some.

johnwilliamson062
July 1, 2012, 01:28 AM
Savage rifles used to, and the non-accustock ones still do, come with throw away stocks. They are very cheap and Savage has publicly stated they are sufficient for average users, but anyone wanting to target shoot will want to replace the stock, so they don't waste money on them. Seems like a great policy to me.

MOshooter65202
July 1, 2012, 06:50 AM
For out of the box accuracy I really like the Remington 700s

dos0711
July 1, 2012, 06:58 AM
Vanguard S2 is advertised sub moa out of the box.

BigMikey76
July 2, 2012, 11:51 AM
I have been very happy with my Savage model 10. I got it from Bud's for just under $500 with a scope and sling included (it's not the greatest scope out there, but it has been holding zero, so I can't complain). Walnut stock and blued metal with accutrigger. Whatever way you go, check out the internet options. You can get a lot more gun for your money by ordering it online.

hooligan1
July 2, 2012, 12:20 PM
Well then, if you reload then you can shoot frequently enough to stay sharp, some who post here don't shoot often enough to know what a good rifle should shoot like. I have found that the Vanguard rifles are excellent shooters and they can be found cheap enough, I have also found that for about $350.00 you can find Savage rifle combos that shoot decent, having said all that if you really want a nice rifle for around that 750.00 mark then the "Weather Warrior" made by Savage is the all round winner hands down, my daughter owns one, and it is very accurate.
Bottom line here is though, if you won't shoot it often enough it really doesn't matter much what you purchase dude.;)

geetarman
July 2, 2012, 12:47 PM
I have a couple of heavy barrel Remingtons as well as two Ruger M77s.

The two Rugers and one Remington are '70s vintage and shoot fine. The newer Remington 700P is also a shooter.

I guess I have been fortunate to pick up four good ones:D

Geetarman:D

browninghunter86
July 2, 2012, 01:16 PM
I shoot about 100 rounds a month and will shoot more when deer season comes around.

Maybe I should just get a really good stock for my Savage Model 10( the one walmart sells with the scope) might be a good idea. It has the Accu-Trigger and is a 308 caliber and I believe I payed under $400 for it. I believe it has a sporter barrel on it too

Or try to sell it and get something better. Here is my rifle.

https://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/524699_591827652466_1687790616_n.jpg

Scorch
July 2, 2012, 01:38 PM
Not to aggravate all of the Salvage shooters on here, but although it may be a good rifle, it was not picked as the best shooter in tests. That honor goes to the TC Icon, so I will stretch a bit and say the same applies to the TC Venture (since it carries a 5-shot sub-MOA guarantee). And guess what? It is priced right there along with the Salvage, right around $400. So, if I was looking for the best shooting rifle, I would pick up a TC Venture, which in addition to shooting really well, does not look like a bucket of spare parts.

Or pick the same rifle Weatherby picks for their sub-MOA rifle, a Howa 1500, also priced quite reasonably at right around $400.

603Country
July 2, 2012, 01:47 PM
scorch, did you say "Salvage" on purpose, or was it a Freudian slip?

As for most accurate rifle at that price range, there might not be a correct answer. My Ruger's shoot great. I'd be tempted to try a Howa, but I'd probably buy a Remington. The only reason I say that is because of the vast array of aftermarket upgrades you can buy. I don't own any Remingtons anymore, but that isn't because I don't like them or trust them.

browninghunter86
July 2, 2012, 02:10 PM
http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire/model-700/model-700-sps-tactical.aspx

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire/model-700/model-700-sps-varmint.aspx

Called Remington and was no more informed than before I called about which may be better for what I am looking for......

gun nut
July 2, 2012, 02:26 PM
I have been happiest with my Tikka, older rem 700s, and my savages. Those are the ones I use when the shot is one I don't want to miss! (assuming I do my part):eek:

jonnyc
July 2, 2012, 03:44 PM
Two of my friends have Rem 700s and a third has a Tikka T3. I shoot them maybe once every other month, so whatever the result is, it's the rifle, not me. At 100 yards, the Rems consistently do 1-1.5" groups. I get .5" clover-leafs, or better, with the Tikka.

browninghunter86
July 2, 2012, 04:10 PM
anyone know what is a good stock to throw on my Savage to make it more accurate? It's a 10 FXP with top load

603Country
July 2, 2012, 04:24 PM
I put a replacement stock on my Ruger Hawkeye 223 and it made a significant improvement to the accuracy, or maybe I should say it improved the consistency of shot placement. It's a Hogue overmolded stock with the aluminum bedding channel. As stocks go, it isn't a light one, but I really like it. You can get a cheaper stock, but this one didn't need any tweaking, bedding, shaping, or whatever. I just dropped in the barrel and action and screwed er down tight and went to the bench. It fit perfectly.

tobnpr
July 2, 2012, 05:11 PM
anyone know what is a good stock to throw on my Savage to make it more accurate? It's a 10 FXP with top load

We like the Choate Tactical...as long as you don't mind a heavy stock.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/185114/choate-tactical-rifle-stock-savage-10-short-action-center-feed-with-44-screw-spacing-composite-black

Rimfire5
July 2, 2012, 05:44 PM
browninghunter86

I have left my old Savage 10FP (no accustock and a hidden magazine) in .308with the original stock and have got great accuracy once I started hand loading for it. I found that even an accurate rifle prefers particular velocites and depths for different bullets and I couldn't get that from factory ammo.

Its top 10 loads average 0.457 with over 100 groups measured including loads with 150 grain, 168 grain and 175 grain bullets.
The top 2 loads average 0.326 (168 grain Sierra Match King) and 0.380 (150 grain Nosler Custom Competition) both with Hodgdon H4895 powder.

I'm not sure a new stock would make that much difference for this Savage other than in looks. It just shot great right out of the box.

With my Remington SPS in .22-250, I had to change a factory stock to a Bell & Carlson Medalist and the Remington trigger to a Timney to get the best accuracy from it. The stock and trigger cost me over $350 but achieved an improvement of more than 0.25 inches in group average size. The final results are actually now slightly better than the Savage .308 but that might be the result of the caliber more than having changed the stock.

a7mmnut
July 2, 2012, 05:54 PM
In my house, The older M788 in .243 and the cheaper .22-250 Handi Rifle rule the roost. Rugers always require tons of stock work to shoot groups, and Winchester and Remington have never impressed me untill I "tweaked" them really well. I guess it depends on your standard of accuracy. If you're talking group size, Weatherby is the only company with nads enough to make a guarantee until T/C and S&W started making their bolt rifles. Sako/Tikka, Sig, the older Savage, and Howa all get my nod. To boot, most of them are the more affordable brands.:confused:

-7-

browninghunter86
July 2, 2012, 06:07 PM
tobnpr: that is the one I was eyeing on midway

4runnerman
July 3, 2012, 03:25 PM
Scorch- Intresting what you post there. Where did you get this info?. If you look at the records Savage ( off the shelf Savage) win more competition shooting matches every year than any other rifle out there,including custom made rifles. I will grant you the low end ones have a cheap stock,but that is a $250.00 investment only. I don't doubt your info, i just question who wrote it.:D

BIG P
July 3, 2012, 04:02 PM
There are alot of great rifles out there,Most will be better than you with a little tinkering.:D

I havent seen many guys that can shoot better than there rifle.;)

Scorch
July 3, 2012, 04:45 PM
Scorch- Intresting what you post there. Where did you get this info?
Field & Stream did accuracy tests about 5-6 years ago with about 20 different production rifles and a few custom rifles.

FSJeeper
July 3, 2012, 05:33 PM
I have personal experience with stock 3 commercial bolt action rifles. The Tikka T-3 in .308, the CZ 527, and the Winchester Model 70 Classic in 30-06.

I had a Match Grade Arms Win. Mod. 70 built years ago that was guaranteed 1/2 MOA with handloads but I could have bought a number of stock bolt rifles for what it cost to have that built. I later traded this rifle for a truck and kick myself for spending so much more money for that little bit of extra accuracy which is not needed in the type of real world hunting I do.

The Tikka is the most accurate non-custom rifle I have owned. Right at 1 MOA with factory Federal ammo. CZ 527 in 7.62 x 39 is consistently at right over 1 MOA with handloads. The Winchester Mod. 70 with custom trigger work is at 1.25 MOA with handloads and it took a long time to get it that dialed in.

I think the Tikka T-3 is the most accurate rifle for the money. It needs nothing to make it run well. Outstanding trigger. Smooth. And always on the money. My gripes about it are the cheesy magazine, the small loading port which makes loading singles a PITA, and the stock is flimsy.

My favorite out of the 3 is the Mod. 70.

FiveInADime
July 4, 2012, 02:22 AM
I have personal experience with stock 3 commercial bolt action rifles. The Tikka T-3 in .308, the CZ 527, and the Winchester Model 70 Classic in 30-06.

I had a Match Grade Arms Win. Mod. 70 built years ago that was guaranteed 1/2 MOA with handloads but I could have bought a number of stock bolt rifles for what it cost to have that built. I later traded this rifle for a truck and kick myself for spending so much more money for that little bit of extra accuracy which is not needed in the type of real world hunting I do.

The Tikka is the most accurate non-custom rifle I have owned. Right at 1 MOA with factory Federal ammo. CZ 527 in 7.62 x 39 is consistently at right over 1 MOA with handloads. The Winchester Mod. 70 with custom trigger work is at 1.25 MOA with handloads and it took a long time to get it that dialed in.

I think the Tikka T-3 is the most accurate rifle for the money. It needs nothing to make it run well. Outstanding trigger. Smooth. And always on the money. My gripes about it are the cheesy magazine, the small loading port which makes loading singles a PITA, and the stock is flimsy.

My favorite out of the 3 is the Mod. 70.

I have always felt that model 70 triggers were so nice. Both of the ones I have now I adjusted myself down to just under 3 pounds and are very crisp. My friends Tikka T3 in .270 Win is very nice but it doesn't shoot any better than my Model 70 in .243 Win. Maybe I just got lucky, or maybe it's just the inherent accuracy of the .243 but it shoots right at 1 MOA with factory ammo and has been as good as just under half-MOA (100 yards 5-shots) with my best handloads.

I'm in the camp that thinks certain rifles (of any brand) are very accurate. The Tikka and Weatherby accuracy guarantee is nice though.

Sent From My Galaxy S 4g Using Tapatalk

TheNatureBoy
July 4, 2012, 06:55 AM
I own two Remington Model 700's; one is a 7mm Rem Mag, and the other is a .308 5R and both of them are very accurate out of the box.

wingman
July 4, 2012, 07:10 AM
From my experience odds are Savage will give best accuracy out of the box, I tend to stick with wood or laminated stocks..

taylorce1
July 4, 2012, 07:24 AM
Scorch- Intresting what you post there. Where did you get this info?. If you look at the records Savage ( off the shelf Savage) win more competition shooting matches every year than any other rifle out there,including custom made rifles. I will grant you the low end ones have a cheap stock,but that is a $250.00 investment only. I don't doubt your info, i just question who wrote it.

It still amazes me how many people think Team Savage is winning with off the shelf rifles. They aren't off the shelf rifles, they are just as custom as anyone else shooting on the circuit. You can buy the same model of rifle off the shelf as Team Savage, but it will not have the same treatments to make it shoot as well.

jehu
July 4, 2012, 07:25 AM
Best out of the box= SAKO 2nd= Tika!

4runnerman
July 4, 2012, 10:14 AM
[B]It still amazes me how many people think Team Savage is winning with off the shelf rifles. They aren't off the shelf rifles, they are just as custom as anyone else shooting on the circuit. You can buy the same model of rifle off the shelf as Team Savage, but it will not have the same treatments to make it shoot as well.

Wrong Taylorce1. They are off the shelf 6MMBR's With hand loads.

Now ganted i just started F-Class open this year and im from a small town MHD,MN. But No Tikas, No Howas, Mainly custom made rifles,Remmy's and Savages. The only tweak made to the Savages is a adjustment to the Accu-trigger,other than that stock all the way.

the jigger
July 4, 2012, 10:15 AM
BH86,
I have had good luck with Bell&Carlson; Carbelite for sporter weight and
Duramaxx for varmint weight Savage/Stevens rifles.
GOOD LUCK and GOOD SHOOTING!!!

taylorce1
July 4, 2012, 01:01 PM
Wrong Taylorce1. They are off the shelf 6MMBR's With hand loads.

No there not and the rifles were not 6mm BR, the are put together by Savage gunsmiths and not by the people on the line. Plus have you heard any new records being set by Team Savage since 2009/10? They are not rifles you can go out and buy off the shelf and expect the same results. All components are selected and put together off assembly line by people paid to build competition firearms by Savage.

Savage F-TR Team — World-Beaters on a Budget
It seems hard to believe you can compete and win at the highest levels of long-range shooting competition with a stock factory rifle, but that’s exactly what Team USA did at the recent F-Class World Championships in Bisley, England. The U.S. F-TR team, which included Team Savage shooters, dominated the F-T/R division, winning a total of 14 medals at the World Championships (and various side matches associated with the event).

Three Oregonians, Darrell Buell, Stan Pate, and John Weil, together with Forum member Monte Milanuk of Wenatchee (WA), crossed the Atlantic to represent the USA and Savage Arms. The competition is held once every four years and features some of the best talent and most expensive custom rifles from around the globe. The matches are held over several days, at distances of 800, 900 and 1,000 yards.

The Savage Shooters used the Model 12 F-T/R from Savage Arms, chambered in .308 Winchester. This exact model can be purchased from any Savage dealer for a suggested retail price of just $1,265. The results speak for themselves: Team Savage came home with seven gold medals, two silvers, and two bronze from the World Championships. The Team also earned two gold medals and a bronze at the associated side matches, including the Bog Oak Trophy Match held in Ireland.

NOTE: In addition to the four Team Savage Members, the full F-TR Team USA included a number of other shooters, using other rigs. The USA F/TR team that traveled to Bisley consisted of 11 shooters: Darrell Buell (Captain), Gary Rasmussen (Wind Coach), Brad Sauve, Dale Carpenter, John Weil, Jeff Rorer, Stan Pate, Mike Miller, Paul Phillips, Warren Dean, and Monte Milanuk. Gary Rasmussen coached F-TR Team USA and Kathy Buell was official record-keeper. Monte Milanuk explained: “While almost half the team was using a Savage-actioned rifle of some sort (Warren, Darrell, John, Stan & Monte), the rest were using four Barnards (Brad, Paul, Dale, and Mike), one Stolle Panda (Jeff), and a Wichita (Gary).”

All of the above participated in the FCWC as individuals, and worked together throughout the entire event (both team and individual stages).

The final firing team that represented the USA in the main F-Class Team World Championships, selected according to performance during certain ‘team’ event stages during the Imperial Meeting, consisted of: Darrell Buell (Captain), Gary Rasmussen (Wind Coach), John Weil (Shooter), Paul Phillips (Shooter), Monte Milanuk, (Shooter), Jeff Rorer (Shooter), Dale Carpenter (Reserve/ Plotter).

The remaining four shooters entered in the Rutland Cup, a match held concurrently with the FCWC, primarily for countries which cannot field a full 8-man team for F-Open. The USA F-Open and F/TR teams both used their ‘extra’ shooters in this event. In the Rutland Cup, the USA F/TR team consisted of Stan Pate (Captain/Shooter), Mike Miller (Coach/Shooter), Brad Sauve (Shooter), and Warren Dean (Shooter).

Now this article leads you to believe that Team Savage is using off the shelf rifles, but now where in it does it say they are off the shelf. All they state is you can buy the same rifle from a Savage Arms Dealer. I guarantee you they are the same model but they are no where near the same rifle. It is basic marketing 101, getting the consumer to believe that he/she is getting the exact same product. However, Savage couldn't build a market a rifle that will actually compete bone stock at F-T/R competitions at factory tolerances and still price it at MSRP of $1300 (2012 price) and stay in business long. Now you can get the same exact product with a little fine tuning but not out of the box.

Now I'm a huge fan of Savage rifles and some of my most accurate are Stevens 200 rifles that I built/tweaked. However I have several other rifles that shot just as well as my "stock" Savage rifles out of the box. Most recent were a M700 ADL and a T/C Venture, and I have an old bone stock Parker Hale 1200 .270 and JC Higgins M50 .30-06 that are bone stock and will run with any of the newer hunting rifles for sub 1" accuracy with handloads. Plus I purchased both of them for about $100 less than I can buy a new M110 Savage for.

rezmedic54
July 4, 2012, 01:39 PM
I saw Savage deliver rifles to the range off the UPS truck the shooters had they're scopes mounted them and walked away with the match. From what I have seem over the years is most rifles shoot better then the person behind them can 99% of the time. But like the say if I do my part the rifle will do it's. The thing take makes a company hire guys to shoot on there teams is that they seem to do their part more than most. Like accuracy guarantees if you can't shoot to start with I can promise you the world you just can't do your part to make it happen. I'm in the class of I don't do my part as often as I'd like.

Kawabuggy
July 4, 2012, 02:20 PM
Scorch, it's a shame you don't live closer to me. If you did, I'd put up a great challenge for you, my FACTORY Savage 12FV in .243 against ANY rifle you have that is in the same price range, and has not had any modifications done to it.

The challenge would be winner gets to keep the other guys rifle. Immediately after the shoot, I'd have your rifle, whatever make/model it is, up for sale on the forums.

You may not like Savage for whatever personal reason, but you had better learn to respect the accuracy that can be had from a bone stock rifle. I paid $560 + tax for the rifle brand new, and put my own scope on it. I'm telling you right now---you DON'T have anything in your safe that costs close to this that can compete. My rifle has the factory floppy stock, non-bedded, non-accu-trigger, or anything else on it that was not that way from the factory.

To the OP try and find a model 12 by Savage. They are heavy barrel, 26", and the most accurate rifle out of the box that I have ever shot.

m&p45acp10+1
July 4, 2012, 02:40 PM
For the price range listed I would say either a Savage (I own a Mod 12 FSSV in .223 Rem) The worst ammo groups at under 3/4 of an inch at 100 yards on a bad day. My hand loads are limited only by my shooting. My best group with it was .15 MOA for a 5 shot group.)

Next in line would be a CZ. Great accuracy at a decent price, with a finish that rivals, and sometimes best those costing over twice what one does. (I own a 527 American in .221 Rem Fireball it is as accurate as it is pretty. 5 shots groups at 100 yards with hand loads is under quarter MOA on a good day. A bit larger than that on a regular day, still under half MOA on a crappy day.)

4runnerman
July 4, 2012, 07:33 PM
The Savage Shooters used the Model 12 F-T/R from Savage Arms, chambered in .308 Winchester. This exact model can be purchased from any Savage dealer for a suggested retail price of just $1,265

That is off the shelf buddy. Also the 6MMBR can also be gotten off shelf at Scheels. I don't want to be a Savage Fan so to say,but after 40 plus years of shooting everything under the sun ( brand rifles) No one will tell me that anything short of a custom made rifle will out shoot a Savage. I have 2 of them right now in the FVSS model,223 and 308. The 223 i and a few other play tic tac toe at 100 yards with 9MM cases glued on a board. We shoot the primers out of them. It usally takes me 4 maybe 5 shots to hit 3 of them. When a rifle is advertised as ( Sub Moa ) that really means nothing to much.
Sub MOA is what? Under 1 inch at 100 yards. My god i sure hope it will shoot that good at least. If 100 yards is not one hole there is a problem with the shooter or the rifle. There is a difference between putting 5 shots in a group and putting 5 shots where you want them.

When i first decided to get into to match shooting, I did some research as to what i wanted to achive. Having shot many different brands of rifles i decided to try Savage once. I got the cheapest pile of junk i could. I picked up a Edge series in a 223. Trigger bit the big one,stock was flimsy,but you know what in a matter of 1 month, i could put that thing up against any $1000.00 rifle or more and hold my own or beat it. I guess accuracy is what you make of it and what your happy with. Where do you stop and when do you stop?. As for me,,I don't know if there will ever be a where or when.

Every weekend i am out at Casselton Rifle Range,either sighting in someones rifle or helping them with there shot placement, There are a few in this fourum that shoot at Casselton and know who i am. Minimal accuracy to me is a dime 10 out of 10 at 100 yards,any thing less is back to the drawing board.

Guybo
July 4, 2012, 08:52 PM
I like remington and have had good accuracy out of the box with all the remington rifles that i've owned over the years and the one's that i currently own are very accurate as well. Sako is also well known for out of the box accuracy but their rifles are very expensive.

taylorce1
July 5, 2012, 06:10 AM
That is off the shelf buddy. Also the 6MMBR can also be gotten off shelf at Scheels. I don't want to be a Savage Fan so to say,but after 40 plus years of shooting everything under the sun ( brand rifles) No one will tell me that anything short of a custom made rifle will out shoot a Savage.

Saying that you are buying the same exact rifle off the shelf is good marketing. However, I realize you aren't going to compete at the level that Team Savage does with a bone stock rifle. Even the Savage Guru's have tricks to wring even more accuracy out of the Savage, or else there wouldn't eve be a market for the gunsmiths making a living at doing the accuracy mods. Timing and truing of the action, bolt lift kits, and other mods out there are able to make Savage an even more accurate rifle.

You can't tell me Savage is going to put a rifle in the hands of a team that bears there name without doing all they can to ensure that their team wins. I'm sure the action has been blueprinted and bore matches up almost perfectly with the center line. Plus I'm sure the barrel chambers are cut with new reamers not ones on the production lines that have cut several hundred. While I think you can buy a Savage target rifle and compete locally with it, I just don't believe you can take a bone stock Savage rifle and compete on the National and World level.

It is kind of like how stock car racing used to be when you could buy the same exact model off the show room floor at your local dealership. It just didn't have all the same work done to the car. You could probably take that Ford, Chevy or Dodge back in the 60's and early 70's and compete at the local track, but you weren't going to run with the big dogs on the circuit without doing modifications.

I do know that a Savage can be had in 6mm BR, however you can do a search and the only people making headlines winning with the Savage rifle was Team Savage. They were competing with .308 rifles in F-T/R class shooting back in 2009/10. Plus since I brought up Team Savage first the person who tried to correct me said it was with 6mm BR rifles and hand loads, I never said Savage didn't chamber rifles in the BR round I just said that Team Savage didn't use that round.

Beentown71
July 5, 2012, 08:03 AM
You can buy 10 guns made by 10 different manufacturers and test all 100 rifles and some of brand "A" will be more accurate than some of brand "B". Some of brand "C" will be more accurate than some of brand "A" and less accurate than brand "B". I think you will see a greater difference between individual guns than gun makers. Sometimes you just have to pick the features you want and hope you get a good one.

But some trends tend to come up and there are some brands that seem to give you a greater chance of good accuracy, but there is no guarantee. The darling of the internet is Savage. But on a personal note, I've owned 3, my brother 1 and none were exceptionally accurate. None were bad, just not good enough to keep when we already owned more accurate rifles.

I have an FN patrol rifle that sells in that range that has proven to shoot well, a friend a Remington SPS tactical. We both like them. I've had good luck with Tikka and my Winchester hunting rifles have proven to be far more accurate than any others I've owned. I don't own one, but reports from many who do indicate the TC Venture rifles are great shooters for under $500. I've handled a few, like the trigger and am impressed. I just don't need another rifle right now. My LGS is selling them as fast as they can get them in and reports are very favorable.

Yep. My most accurate .308 I have owned/shot is my Howa Custom Varmint. It is consistently under .75" @ 100 shooting of my bi-pod with FGM 168's. I want to get it in a sled and see what it can really do.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk 2

Striker1
July 5, 2012, 06:11 PM
For what the OP described, I would go with Remington 700, PSS, VLS or similar. Additionally, there is a lot of after market support for the Rem 700.

Having said that, my only bolt gun is a CZ550 Premium.