PDA

View Full Version : M1A on Backorder

'88Scrat
June 28, 2012, 10:22 PM
I recently put a down payment on an M1A Squad Scout with a black stock. I was told going into the deal knowing that it could be some time before I would be able to pick up the rifle. I was thinking a month or maybe two but when I called up Springfield they said it might 8 months to a year before I actually see the rifle. :confused:

I understand that there would be some wait time (I expected it) but unless there was some massive change in machining or fit and finish I don't understand why there should be so many on backorder; unless demand is just that high.

I don't mind waiting. An M1A has been on my wish list for 5 years now so another year won't kill me (I waited 1.5 years for the .50AE barrel on my Desert Eagle because Magnum Research moved production back to the States right as I put in the order) especially not for the price I'm getting, but it would be nice to know why there is such an extended wait time.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

'88Scrat
June 29, 2012, 12:52 PM
Small update; I got an email from SA pretty much expressing in writing what they told me over the phone.

Crow Hunter
June 29, 2012, 01:42 PM
Obama or Romney.

Neither have historically been friends to gun owners.

Pre-election buying, will only get worse the closer we get to November.

Chuckusaret
June 29, 2012, 08:00 PM
Impact Guns had most M1A models available last week. I don't buy anything that I have to wait for, I don't buy green bananas either.:D

'88Scrat
June 29, 2012, 10:17 PM
Impact Guns does not currently have the Squad Scout avaliable. And that price is actually more than what I got nailed down.:D

Ralph Allen
June 29, 2012, 10:33 PM
A couple of years back I waited a year for an FN SPR. Was well worth the wait. I think what you have ordered will be worth the wait also.
Ralph

SR420
June 30, 2012, 07:49 AM
If you can find one, what would the average new standard M1A sell for these days?

'88Scrat
June 30, 2012, 05:57 PM
If you can find one, what would the average new standard M1A sell for these days?
Place I got my Scout ordered from quoted me $1,450 for the standard before tax.

level10
June 30, 2012, 06:48 PM
two years ago it took 4 months for me to get one

Yung.gunr
June 30, 2012, 11:49 PM
I don't have any insight or personal experience with this, but I don't know how you can wait that long...

I can barely wait for stuff to get here when it is in stock when I ordered it. Good luck on your wait.

'88Scrat
July 14, 2012, 09:08 PM
Well I got a very pleasant surprise today. My M1A arrived at the shop I ordered it from and I just got home with her. She is just as beautiful as I imagined!:D

I thought I would have to wait for 6 months or more but my gain was due to another's loss. The guy who had ordered one from the same shop 7 months before me got tired of waiting and put his money towards another gun. Well the M1A he was waiting for arrived 4 days later and the shop said it was mine if I wanted it. I plan on doing an EBR build so I'll post up pictures as that comes along.

Crow Hunter
July 15, 2012, 09:36 AM
While an EBR Chassis is very nice, make sure you check one out 1st if at all possible. They are very heavy.

SR420
July 15, 2012, 09:43 AM
'88Scrat I plan on doing an EBR build so I'll post up pictures as that comes along.

Excellent plan!

Check out: The History and Development of the SAGE Enhanced Battle Rifle chassis stock system (http://www.athenswater.com/M1A_Scout_Squad_EBR.htm) before you decide on a particular EBR chassis

sailskidrive
July 15, 2012, 10:23 AM
Our local dealer had 5 of them on the wall last week...