PDA

View Full Version : Best AR-15 Under $800?

Surgical Precision
June 24, 2012, 09:36 PM
Hello,

I just joined TFL to get advice on a carry gun and I also would like to get direction on a AR-15. For under $800, here's what I'm looking at:

Stag Arms
M&P Sport
Olympic Arms
DPMS Oracle
Bushmaster

Of what's listed, what's my best option??

Justice06RR
June 24, 2012, 11:01 PM
Bushmaster, Stag Arms, and M&P sport are your best choices out of those.

I would stay away from DPMS if possible. It seems some of their AR15's are a bit on the lower quality from what i've seen.

Some people say that Olympic Arms is decent, but don't have any experience in those.

doofus47
June 24, 2012, 11:09 PM
I have a Bushmaster upper. I'm happy with it.

BillyJack3
June 25, 2012, 10:18 AM
Top 2 choices are good to go. M&P Sport has been seen for $599 in some places. M&P OR for $800 and M&P T for $850. Kind of goes against the grain as I saw each of these for a lot more just a month or so ago.

dos0711
June 25, 2012, 02:25 PM
Windham Weaponry SRC...$799 and a lifetime warranty.

tahunua001
June 25, 2012, 03:44 PM
pre-cerberus DPMS rifles are good. mine is sub MOA and is a workhorse. apparently though freedom group ruined the name. now remington, bushmaster and DPMS are all cookies from the same cutter just some are kept in fancier jars. bushmaster might not be a good choice just because of that.

Stag has always been a good medium tier company and if you can find one for sub $800 then you are golden.

smith and wesson is kindof a newcomer to the AR 15 world but they established a cult following overnight. whether that is due to the quality or if people just jump on the S&W bandwagon, I dont know but a lot of people claim they are hard to beat.

I've always heard bad things about olympic but every time I bring that up I usually get flamed so I'll just plead the 5th on them.

jmr40
June 25, 2012, 04:18 PM
Stag and S&W have earned a solid reputation at that price range. Wyndham looks good but is new and was a little over $800 locally. My brother is more into AR's than I and based on his recommendation I recently bought a Palmetto State Armory for $760. Mine came with a 1/7 chrome lined barrel made by FN. I have only had it a few days and have not shot it yet, but it looks promising.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/

My brother thinks very highly of them and considers them the most AR for the dollar. Time will tell.

BillyJack3
June 25, 2012, 05:10 PM
smith and wesson is kindof a newcomer to the AR 15 world but they established a cult following overnight.

Smith has been around for a few years now and originally had Stag produce their ARs. They have since moved production in house. It's hard to find anyone that has had an issue with theirs. I have the OR and it's been flawless. Guess I would say that yes, there may be a bit of a cult following but it may soon become something like the "Colt" following. :D Sorry, couldn't resist.

As for Palmetto (PSA), lots of great reviews. I'm building a lower right now and will be picking up a PSA complete upper for it.

Jimro
June 25, 2012, 06:06 PM
In those categories I'd choose S&W or Olympic. My buddies Oly had the bolt break at the camming pin area (a common enough failure even for Colt M4s), they replaced it for free.

Jimro

oneshot onekill
June 25, 2012, 06:14 PM
None of the above... Spikes Tactical... PERIOD!

FrosSsT
June 25, 2012, 07:10 PM
AR's are just like flat screen tv's these days. There are a few duds here and there, but 98% of them are pretty much the same and will function perfectly when taken care of. The people who own Stag will stand behind that name, the people who own a Colt, DPMS, Larue, Daniel Defense and the other 50 brands will do the same - dont believe all the brand hype. I own a Bushmaster m4a3 and its an amazing rifle. Im sure if I owned something else it wouldnt be that much different. Shop around and dont let a name deter you.

RetiredMajor
June 25, 2012, 07:25 PM
+1 for the M&P Sport. I think they are an amazing value. Well made, accurate and priced right. Best of luck whatever you decide.

Cameron
June 25, 2012, 07:48 PM
S&W. Forget the others.

Cameron

LockedBreech
June 25, 2012, 07:53 PM
Smith & PSA in that price range.

If you can, save $400 more and get a Colt, Bravo Company, or Daniel Defense, but for a plinker the Smith or PSA will do fine work. :)

Palmetto-Pride
June 25, 2012, 08:13 PM
AR's are just like flat screen tv's these days. There are a few duds here and there, but 98% of them are pretty much the same and will function perfectly when taken care of.

This................spend the money on quality brass cased ammo and most ARs will do you right!

Marquezj16
June 25, 2012, 10:04 PM
The S&W MP15 Sport can be found for $599 but it will stand toe to toe with the $800 guns. Probably one of the best value AR15s in the market.

As far as S&W being new to the game, think of this. If they can build great revolvers, what is to stop them from building great ARs?

gun nut
June 25, 2012, 10:38 PM
Several good choices but from the ones I've messed with for the money the s&w was pretty good.

tahunua001
June 26, 2012, 12:15 AM
As far as S&W being new to the game, think of this. If they can build great revolvers, what is to stop them from building great ARs?
if sig sauer makes such good handguns what seems to stop them from making a decent rifle?

revolvers are just a slightly different design and S&W has kindof had a few decades to work on that particular platform.

not that it's really relevant, as stated I've never spent trigger time with MP15s so I can't give a yay or nay on the matter.

plouffedaddy
June 26, 2012, 07:24 AM
In my experience here's my list in order:

1. PSA
2. Windham Weaponry
3. M&P Sport

Mr Budha
June 26, 2012, 09:49 AM
I'm saving up for my Colt :D

But Bud's has this Bushmaster for like $730.00 Don't know too much about it but maybe others can chime in?

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/231/products_id/61658/Handguns/European+American+Armory/Bushmaster+A1+Semi-Automatic+223+Remington5.56+NATO+30%2B1+Ca

IAMDEATH
June 26, 2012, 11:23 AM
I recently found a dpms 16" flattop with a2 front sight and 2 30rd magazines for $685 and it shoots great. I went right threw the company to get mine.

tobnpr
June 26, 2012, 02:11 PM
Another "best" question...
"Best", at what?

Accuracy?
Lightest weight for quicker handling?
Features?
Durability?

FrosSsT
June 26, 2012, 03:50 PM
But Bud's has this Bushmaster for like $730.00 Don't know too much about it but maybe others can chime in?

Bushmaster makes good AR, so does colt. But why spend more for the colt? Because it says 'colt' on it?

sailskidrive
June 26, 2012, 05:07 PM
A Palmetto kit is probably the way to go.

if sig sauer makes such good handguns what seems to stop them from making a decent rifle?

FYI, SIG considers themselves a rifle company that also makes hand guns. The SIG550 series is their export bread and butter.

Blackops_2
June 26, 2012, 05:32 PM
Smith & PSA in that price range.

If you can, save $400 more and get a Colt, Bravo Company, or Daniel Defense, but for a plinker the Smith or PSA will do fine work.

If you can i'd throw in spikes as well.

gunhand
June 26, 2012, 05:37 PM
I would recommend doing a lot of research on the "Tiers" of AR brands before you commit to purchasing one. Opinions are like .22's, everyone has one, as you can see in the replies so far. There are a large number of different options and configurations available in the AR world. This forum and others have a wealth of information that can help you make a wise decision you won't regret. Best of luck to you.

LockedBreech
June 26, 2012, 06:26 PM
Bushmaster makes good AR, so does colt. But why spend more for the colt? Because it says 'colt' on it?

Bushmaster makes a good, solid, workable rifle, but the Colt will have better materials, workmanship, and quality control.

Again, not a dig at the Bushy. It's in a different bracket and serves the mid-line consumer bracket quite well. But the Colt is more rifle.

sailskidrive
June 26, 2012, 09:52 PM
Bushmaster makes a good, solid, workable rifle, but the Colt will have better materials, workmanship, and quality control.

Didn't Colt just loose the M4 contract to Cerebus who owns Bushmaster, Remington and DPMS?

LockedBreech
June 26, 2012, 11:43 PM
Didn't Colt just loose the M4 contract to Cerebus who owns Bushmaster, Remington and DPMS?

(Cerberus) The military R-4s will be made to Colt'a technical data package. To my knowledge, it's not the same Bushmaster rifle on store shelves. I may be wrong. Remington products have also had quality control gaffes since the Cerberus acquisition. I say this as a happy 870 owner.

Blackops_2
June 27, 2012, 12:00 AM
Agreed Remington has had a lot more QC issues since Cerberus acquired them. Hell look at the synthetic stocks they're putting out, i say that as a happy 870 and 700 owner as well.

sailskidrive
June 27, 2012, 05:07 PM
It's hard to believe that Remington and Winchester are now just names... Nothing more. :(

Good point on the TDP, the Bushys and DPMSs won't be using it.

LockedBreech
June 27, 2012, 09:14 PM
It's hard to believe that Remington and Winchester are now just names... Nothing more. :(

Good point on the TDP, the Bushys and DPMSs won't be using it.

I agree. Names are unfortunately used more to sell than to stand for something these days.

I still have some faith in Remmy, time will tell. :)