PDA

View Full Version : Colt Walther 1911 .22 Umerex

Sir Loads-A-Lot
June 24, 2012, 10:47 AM
Does anyone have any experience with the Colt Walther 1911 .22? Also, what is the difference between the Gold Cup and the lower priced standard model?

hlds54
June 24, 2012, 10:55 AM
about the umerex, I dont know. The gold cup is designed for competition, it has bo-mar style sights, its a tigher gun, and has a better trigger. All n all more acurate. the others have standard sights, arnt as tight, and are more basic.

excelerater
June 24, 2012, 12:00 PM
one is a colt and one is a german made knock off made of pot petal slurry

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v328/excelerater/ASST%20GUNS/IMAG0735.jpg

RJay
June 24, 2012, 12:05 PM
I have never seen a Colt Walther 1911 in any caliber, that must be a very rare gun:D:D:D

Sir Loads-A-Lot
June 24, 2012, 12:29 PM
Ron...
The 1911 .22 I am referring to is made by Walther under license from Colt and imported by Umerex. It is relatively new. I just was wondering if anyone has had any experience with one yet. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

GregM
June 24, 2012, 02:31 PM
I have one, had it about three months. Mine is the "tactical" model with the light rail. I bought it to practice coming out of the holster and making snap shots so I don't burn up my supply of 45 ammo. I really like mine; good trigger, good sights, good accuracy. You'll need to shoot it a while and try different ammo to get it to run 100%. Mine wouldn't reliably feed when I loaded the mag to capacity, but it seems to have improved with use. I'm at about 500 rounds thru mine now. It takes the walther P22 barrel bushing if you decide to run a suppressor.

Greg

Sir Loads-A-Lot
June 24, 2012, 03:22 PM
Greg...
Thanks for the good information. I think I am going to purchase one. I am hung up on whether to get the Gold Cup model. I have had a Jim Clark Colt
1911 .45 for a lot of years and was always afraid to use a .22 conversion on it because it shot so well.
John

Tommy Vercetti
June 27, 2012, 06:41 PM
I have two, I really like them a lot, I tried to upload pictures but they are too big

Aguila Blanca
June 27, 2012, 10:02 PM
Reviewed here: http://ezine.m1911.org/showthread.php?t=86

I can't justify buying one because I already have a 1911 receiver with a Ciener conversion on it that shoots very well. But I have shot a Colt/Umarex -- the same base model as shown in the review link -- and I enjoyed it very much. If I were going to buy one, though, I would want the Gold Cup model just to have the adjustable sights.

tahunua001
June 27, 2012, 11:21 PM
interesting. I was under the impression that the gun was made out of pot metal by umarex which is owned by walther, imported by smith and wesson and marketed by colt. umarex specializes in BB guns and airsoft products and they use a lot of the same materials in their guns which are not suited for high temperatures that come naturally to firearms with use. umarex also makes the walther P22 which is notorious for warping, melting, jamming, and just plain falling apart with use because of the materials used in their production. the P22 is by far the worst handgun with walther stamped on the side.

guess which gun is notorious for that and has COLT stamped halfway across the slide?

ok that might have taken that a little far. the umarex 1911-22 is one of the better ones on the market. still like all 22lr clones a lot of them are picky about ammo and like all umarex rimfire products you should check the slides and frames for warping before buying...and don't leave it in your car on a hot day:D

Ridge_Runner_5
June 28, 2012, 01:16 AM
I'd rather buy a GSG 1911 or SIG 1911/22 for a bit less, and have 75%+ parts interchangeability with any mil spec 1911.

After what Umarex/Walther did to that Colt AR-15/22, I doubt very many parts are interchangeable.

Aguila Blanca
June 28, 2012, 06:01 AM
I'd rather buy a GSG 1911 or SIG 1911/22 for a bit less, and have 75%+ parts interchangeability with any mil spec 1911.

After what Umarex/Walther did to that Colt AR-15/22, I doubt very many parts are interchangeable.
Doubt what you want, but I've been under the hood of both the GSG 1911-22 and the Colt/Umarex 1911-22. ALL the fire control parts in the Umarex are standard 1911 parts. It has fully as many standard parts as the GSG.

As to the price difference -- it's not there. With variations among different vendors, they are both at the same price point. And both are light years ahead of the Chiappa/Puma, which IMHO truly is junk.

qwiksdraw
June 28, 2012, 07:14 AM
It wasn't until after I had already purchased the Sig 1911 22LR that I finally got to handle an Umarex/Colt/Walther. It would have been a tough choice to make.

I figure if Sig Sauer and Colt felt these guns were worthy of using their respective names, then either choice would be a good one. While both are 1911 style guns, when you pop open the hood, they are quite different from each other. It then becomes the buyer's choice and preference.

It is always good to see that competition brings to the buyer many options, quality and affordability.

Sir Loads-A-Lot
July 3, 2012, 06:45 AM
Well I purchased the Colt 1911 22 Gold Cup and am pleasantly surprised with the it overall. I put it in a Ransom Rest yesterday and at 25 yards shoots as well as any of my target guns. I am going to do some trigger work on it. A little to much travel and a little too heavy but that is an easy fix. Don't be afraid to give this one a try..I think you will be surprised too.

PSP
July 3, 2012, 01:30 PM
I have a GSG. Nice gun, very accurate and reliable, but all I've shot is mini-max ammo. GSG comes out and says "use high velocity ammo to avoid problems. The Colt is just as nice, almost as cheap and has a slightly simpler take-down process. If price were the same, I'd buy the Colt just for that one feature.

However, I'm happy with the GSG.

Sir Loads-A-Lot
July 18, 2012, 05:06 PM
I have one, had it about three months. Mine is the "tactical" model with the light rail. I bought it to practice coming out of the holster and making snap shots so I don't burn up my supply of 45 ammo. I really like mine; good trigger, good sights, good accuracy. You'll need to shoot it a while and try different ammo to get it to run 100%. Mine wouldn't reliably feed when I loaded the mag to capacity, but it seems to have improved with use. I'm at about 500 rounds thru mine now. It takes the walther P22 barrel bushing if you decide to run a suppressor.

Greg
Last edited by GregM; June 24, 2012 at 03:47 PM.

Greg...I found this p22 barrel thread adapter and protector at:

www.kineti-tech.com/p22-thread-adapter

Is this all I would need to add a suppressor to my Colt/Walther 1911 .22?

GregM
July 18, 2012, 06:36 PM
I believe so. I haven't bought one for mine yet, but that looks like the right adapter.

GregM

balance
July 19, 2012, 10:08 AM
If these guns are made by Walther in Ulm, they should have a "staghorn" proofmark, along with the "eagle over N" proofmark.

If they are made by Umarex in Arnsberg, they should have the "three crowns" proofmark, along with the "eagle over N" proofmark.

I doubt these are made by Walther.

ehbj47
July 19, 2012, 03:14 PM
It's the only way to go. It works every time and is made of aluminum alloy. What isn't these days?Do not buy Chiappa or SIG...junk.

tahunua001
July 19, 2012, 06:37 PM
It's the only way to go. It works every time and is made of aluminum alloy. What isn't these days?Do not buy Chiappa or SIG...junk.
well the slide assemblies on the ruger SR22 for one is made of solid aluminum. umarex tries too hard to make the 1911-22 the same weight as the original and end up using a large portion of heavier metals and when you start delving into these heavier "aluminum alloys" you end up with what is genarically referred to as pot metal.

while it is generally accepted that the chiappa 1911-22 is utter garbage the GSG 1911-22(which has a fancier model with Sig Sauer on the slide) uses one of the most high grade alloys among the 1911 rimfire clones.

stumper1300
July 19, 2012, 07:13 PM
My gold cup has "Imported by umerex USA FORT SMITH/AR.MADE BY CARL WALTHER GERMANY" right on the frame.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c333/raptor1300/2012-07-19191015.jpg
The thread adaptor for suppresor is from a walther. 22