PDA

View Full Version : New Bushmaster

Shotgun693
June 23, 2012, 06:52 PM
I bought a brand new XM15E2S this afternoon. Out the door it was $970. I asked around and was told I got a pretty good deal. What do ya'll think?

Striker1
June 23, 2012, 07:13 PM
Why does it matter what others think? If you like it and it is reliable, enjoy your rifle.

FWIW, I have had one for about 6 years and it has never had a stoppage and will shoot under an inch at 100 with good ammo.

Did you get it in San Antonio?

Shotgun693
June 23, 2012, 07:34 PM
In San Antonio they were about $1100. I got mine at the Wal-mart in Pleasanton. They were all but out of ammo.

Crow Hunter
June 23, 2012, 09:06 PM
You might have done better, but a rifle in your hand that you can shoot is infinitely better than a better deal that you don't have. One in the hand vs 2 in the bush and all.

Now get out there and shoot it!

Striker1
June 23, 2012, 10:29 PM
Check to make sure your gas key is properly staked as well as the castle nut on the sliding stock (receiver extension tube) and learn how to function check it.

If you need help, drop me a PM.

Shotgun693
June 23, 2012, 11:28 PM
Luckily my Son has experience with the M16. We'll strip and clean it tomorrow and take it on a test drive so to speak.

Justice06RR
June 24, 2012, 11:38 PM
Congrats.

My first AR was a Bushmaster Patrolman Carbine, very similar to yours. Its an awesome rifle and it worked flawlessly when I owned it. post pics if you have

Edward429451
June 25, 2012, 05:48 PM
You did alright. I got my xm15 several years back and paid 800 then. Even though some will badmouth the Bushmaster, I have found it to be just fine for my needs. I don't run billions of rounds through it, or compete, or kick in meth lab doors, so full stocked, 20" barrel fits just right. I'm shooting ~3" @ 100 yds which isn't bad with irons.

(I prolly just made a few benchrest guys flinch with that last statement!):D

Skadoosh
June 25, 2012, 05:53 PM
Congrats!

But...
http://i63.servimg.com/u/f63/12/63/91/01/donotr10.jpg

mitranoc
June 26, 2012, 08:50 PM
Congratulations! Post some pics of it...

Justice06RR
June 26, 2012, 11:24 PM
I couldn't resist...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v424/eiji81/AR15/DSCI0485-1.jpg

Does it look something like that?

Shotgun693
June 27, 2012, 07:14 PM
The only difference is that mine still has the M4 type iron rear sight, looks like the old M16 handle. I bought it as a tool. In case the Zombies come faster than I can reload my SAA.

Striker1
June 27, 2012, 08:44 PM
The only difference is that mine still has the M4 type iron rear sight, looks like the old M16 handle. I bought it as a tool. In case the Zombies come faster than I can reload my SAA.

Well did you get to shoot it yet?

Shotgun693
June 28, 2012, 08:33 PM
I work out of town. Sometime this coming weekend I'll try it out.

ms6852
June 28, 2012, 10:41 PM
My brother has the exact same model as yours. He bought it last year and shot it all year long without cleaning it. He just kept the bolt wet and would run a patch with oil through the barrel than a dry patch.

He wanted to know how many rounds it would shoot before a malfunction occurred. He never found out. I had to shame him into cleaning the rifle. We shot his rifle during Memorial day weekend to 500 yards and it was deadly accurate just using ball ammo. You have a great rifle, just don't be like my brother and take a whole year to clean yours. Good Shooting.

theunderdog1982
July 8, 2012, 09:01 PM
970 sounds about right. I paid 973 including tax for mine. Take a pic of the gas key for us, I'd like to know if its staked properly like mine.

Charlie Fox
July 8, 2012, 09:26 PM
I bought mine 5 years ago for about the same price. It's nice to see they're holding their value:D

Some will bash the Bushy as an entry-level EBR, but I've got about 2500 rounds downrange without a bobble or problem. Oh, and they all go into a ragged hole about the size of my palm at 75 yds...not bad for a "cheap rifle".

madcratebuilder
July 9, 2012, 07:15 AM
Long before these new "designer" brand names got into the AR market, AR's were rated ABC, ArmaLite, Bushmaster and Colt.

No matter what you buy at what ever price, someone well come along and tell you about a better, cheaper deal.

A rifle in your hand is a better deal than a better deal on the other side of the country.:rolleyes:

theunderdog1982
July 9, 2012, 12:04 PM
Exactly, As long as you maintain it properly it shouldn't have a problem.With internet these days it brings up bad apples. At another forum I visit I hardly ever see any threads mentioning Bushmaster problems. I see a lot of other brands popping up though. But that's the thing, for every one unhappy owner there's probably 10 or 20 that's happy with their purchase. No company puts out perfection 100% of the time.

It seems like most of the hating comes from m4carbine and the users that post there. They parrot whatever some instructor tells them.

Crow Hunter
July 9, 2012, 02:04 PM
It seems like most of the hating comes from m4carbine and the users that post there. They parrot whatever some instructor tells them.

I disagree with you there.

There IS a difference between Bushmaster and Colt. (The only comparison that I can give other than 1 Armalite and 1 DPMS)

I have owned several of both and I have done a direct comparison between them.

Is that going to make a difference to 90% of the civilian users out there? No. Probably won't make a difference to many of the LEO users.

But there IS a difference.

My experience with Colt rifles has been markedly better than my experience with Bushmaster rifles with a larger sampling of Bushmaster rifles and their replacement parts. (5 Colts vs 7 Bushmasters)

The 2 most egregious problems were 1 rifle that could not be disassembled (even with a brass punch and hammer:eek:) and one rifle that short stroked. The others were issues with over torqued barrels and really bad machining and while the rifles were functional, didn't inspire confidence. 2 of the 7 were fine.

Bushmasters (at least those built between 2004 and 2008) are not equal to Colts built during the same time period.

I still own the Colts, I no longer own any Bushmaster or Bushmaster parts.

theunderdog1982
July 9, 2012, 02:17 PM
I never said Bushmasters are equal to any brand. Also if you had so many problems with Bushmasters why would you continue to purchase them. I see people say they owned 6 or 7 Bushmasters and all had problems well here's my question. Why did you continue to purchase the 3rd,4th, 5th and so on Bushmaster if there was so many problems with the first and second?

Also I am saying that there are people out there that own Bushmasters that are happy with them. Me being one of them and I know i'm not the only one on the planet that's never had a problem with their Bushmaster. If you want to nit pick problems with any company you can google pretty much any brand of AR and you'll find problems with them all.

If you want to get into all the mil-spec stuff and tell me how the military uses Colts and what have you. My answer to you is, I'm not going to be kicking down doors and clearing rooms, I go out and shoot paper and the occasional can, i'm not concerned with SHTF and whether or not my AR will hold up.

Crow Hunter
July 9, 2012, 04:06 PM
Why did you continue to purchase the 3rd,4th, 5th and so on Bushmaster if there was so many problems with the first and second?

Because I didn't know any better.:D

The Armalite and DPMS that I also had experience with were crap as well.

I thought all AR's were the same and "just as good as" really was.:rolleyes:

I firmly believe that alot of the "bad mouthing" that ARs get are from people who only have the same experiences with crap AR that I did.

Then I bought my 1st Colt. Took the parts out, compared them. I immediately sold the Bushmasters that I still owned as well as the spare parts and replaced them with Colts.

I have experience with 2 Bushmasters that didn't have a single problem at all. I sold one to my brother and the other to a local guy. He still doesn't have any problems as far as I know.

My objection was to your statement:

They parrot whatever some instructor tells them.

I was giving my reasoning why I believe that isn't true based on my personal experience.

My answer to you is, I'm not going to be kicking down doors and clearing rooms, I go out and shoot paper and the occasional can, i'm not concerned with SHTF and whether or not my AR will hold up.

That is why I said that 90% of the people out there will be fine with them. Those that do have problems will get them fixed by the factory under warranty. They aren't bad guns, but they aren't "the same". If it meets your needs, then that is all you need.

FrosSsT
July 9, 2012, 06:28 PM
You might have done better, but a rifle in your hand that you can shoot is infinitely better than a better deal that you don't have. One in the hand vs 2 in the bush and all.

My experience with Colt rifles has been markedly better than my experience with Bushmaster rifles with a larger sampling of Bushmaster rifles and their replacement parts. (5 Colts vs 7 Bushmasters)

The 2 most egregious problems were 1 rifle that could not be disassembled (even with a brass punch and hammer) and one rifle that short stroked. The others were issues with over torqued barrels and really bad machining and while the rifles were functional, didn't inspire confidence. 2 of the 7 were fine.

Bushmasters (at least those built between 2004 and 2008) are not equal to Colts built during the same time period.

I first of all highly doubt 2 of 7 rifles were fine if you bought them new, secondly, people dont really like you bashing the rifle they just bought because you own the other brand.
Gotta love brand fans, especially the ones loyal to colt, cause after all, its what the MILITARY uses!

Crow Hunter
July 9, 2012, 07:01 PM
I first of all highly doubt 2 of 7 rifles were fine if you bought them new, secondly, people dont really like you bashing the rifle they just bought because you own the other brand.

Whether you believe it or not, it is true. No skin off my teeth.

One of them I didn't even buy because I couldn't get the upper off the lower and neither could the gun smith, even using a brass punch and a hammer.

One of them wouldn't go through a whole magazine without a failure to feed. Most likely it was a loose carrier key. But I didn't know about that at the time.

2 of them had to have 18 clicks to the left just to get them on paper, most likely because they had over torqued barrels.

One of them I bought and it looked like the mill cutter broke while cutting the ejection port and left a big chunk of un-finished forging. I sent that one back and Bushmaster replaced it.

2 of them were fine out of the box. No issues that I could find. One of them was a 20" bbl A2 and the other was a M4gery.

The spare parts that I had from Bushmaster did not have the same quality of machining, nor the same testing marks on them. And before you ask, I am an engineer and I know what the differences are.

In the same vein. I own one 6724 and four 6920s and my brother owns a 6940. None of them have had a single problem straight out of the box.

I am not bashing. I am stating data.

Someone made the statement that everyone on M4carbine.net just parrots trainers, that is bashing. That is specifically not true in my case. My experience with Bushmaster has NOT been equal to my experience with Colt.

The OP has his rifle. It is better than having no rifle and if he has problems, he can get it upgraded/factory repaired. If he finds it isn't up to his standards, he can get another rifle. Most likely, unless he is doing carbine classes/high volume shooting, he will never have a problem.

However, lying to someone isn't something that I do. Based on my personal experience, he could have done better for the price.

theunderdog1982
July 9, 2012, 07:41 PM
I'm not going to compare any rifle to another. All I know is all the problems Bushmaster bashers claim I have yet to experience. And since everyone says I could of done better, I don't know how much better I could of done because it goes bang every time I pull the trigger so. I have about 3k rounds through it so far without a single hiccup. I don't dress up and play navy seal on the weekends I don't fire a gazillion rounds through it every other day, I'd like to but i'm not rich but its worked so far and I have no reason to believe it wont in the future. Would I trust me life to my Bushmaster? Yes because its proven to me to be reliable.

Crow Hunter
July 9, 2012, 09:09 PM
Would I trust me life to my Bushmaster? Yes because its proven to me to be reliable.

That is what counts.

That being said. Why didn't you just buy an Olympic Arms or Hesse or Blackthorne?

Same quality, even lower price.

Because they ARE all the same right?;)

Striker1
July 9, 2012, 09:21 PM
I have a Bushmaster carbine that has never failed to operate in the almost 6 years I've owned it. I have repaired many Colt's and FN's over the years. So what does that all mean? The final verdict is in the shooting no matter what brand you have. It either works or it doesn't. Hopefully the OPs works for him.

theunderdog1982
July 9, 2012, 09:23 PM
That being said. Why didn't you just buy an Olympic Arms or Hesse or Blackthorne?

Because I was shopping at Wal-Mart and seen it inspected it and bought it. It seems the only one comparing brands is you.

2ndtimearound
July 30, 2012, 06:43 AM
I just got a bushmaster mod XM15-E2S for 750. Looking at optics and leaning tward a nikon 3x9x50. plan on some night hunting cyots and maby hogs. good luck with yours amd I will post how mine dose in the future.

PawPaw
July 30, 2012, 07:43 AM
I bought an XM15E2S a decade ago as a patrol rifle. I got it because it is almost a clone of the M16A2 I carried for years as a soldier. I use it bone-stock, with the iron sights and often qualify with better scores than the young'uns with the tricked-out guns. It goes bang everytime I pull the trigger and puts a .22 cal hole in whatever I've pointed it at. With the collapsible stock, it's also a good rifle for training grandkids on iron sights. I like that I can adjust the length of pull to suit the student. The one upgrade I may give it at some point in the future is a better trigger. The trigger on mine reminds me of the military trigger. Gritty, with both creep and overtravel. However, this isn't a long-range precision rifle, it's a down-in-the-dirt patrol rifle.

fxdrider
August 9, 2012, 07:29 PM
The one upgrade I may give it at some point in the future is a better trigger. The trigger on mine reminds me of the military trigger. Gritty, with both creep and overtravel.

Try a JP Rifles single stage adjustable trigger: http://www.jprifles.com/buy.php?item=JPFC-1

Very nice. I put one on my XM15E2S back in 2001 and haven't looked back.

hlds54
August 9, 2012, 07:33 PM
I think it was a good deal. Have fun, and maybe throw an optic on, its more fun

EmptyHull
August 12, 2012, 05:20 AM
havent had an AR since the 1980's but I just bought one like yours for $900 out the door so yes $970 is a good price. BTW last AR I bought was $268 in the 70's and it was a Colt! Tim

.357SIG
August 12, 2012, 12:58 PM
If we're playing the "based on my experience" card, I will throw mine in. Over the past 10 years, I have helped friends pick out various ARs based on features, budget, and other reasons. These include: 3 Bushmasters, 2 DPMS, 2 s&Ws, numerous builds, 1Noveske, and 1-2 RRA. All of the rifles run perfectly...all of them. None show excessive wear, and all are accurate in all of our hands. My personal Bushy is 12 years old, and runs in all conditions that would be encountered by anyone in this country. I have not frozen it in a block of ice, or used it in a massive dust storm, but would be surprised if it failed. Of all the rifles I've encountered at the range, only a few were problematic. These include home builds and a few COLT rifles, one being the beloved 6920. The 6920 locked up solid on a Wolf round. We tried the rest of the Box in my gun, and it ate them up. All of the malfunctioning guns I've seen continued to do so the whole time, each time. One Colt 20" had to go home in 2 pieces because the bolt could not be budged. The 6920 took 2 people to clear, one holding the upper, one pulling the charging handle. The lacquered cases were the culprit, and he couldn't get through a single mag.

That's my experience. I think any good working AR will suit anyone well. I bet a good RRA or Bushy will perform right up there with other rifles that meet most milspecs. I think MP inspected parts are great and can't hurt, only help. However, they are not a guarantee of anything. A smart, critical thinker will look beyond the simplistic, caveman view that milspec = better, and look instead at the whole package to see what suits them. To some, the extra $500 price tag a Colt carries over a M&P Sport is simply not worth it.

Coltman 77
August 12, 2012, 03:24 PM
New Bushmaster
I bought a brand new XM15E2S this afternoon. Out the door it was $970. I asked around and was told I got a pretty good deal. What do ya'll think?

My first AR was a Bushmaster and its been a very fine rifle for 4 years. So, get plenty of ammo and enjoy your new rifle. :D