PDA

View Full Version : after market trigger for my AR 15 ?

rebs
June 22, 2012, 06:35 AM
I looked at Timney which are pricy, I looked at CMM and also Rock River Arms. Looking for something with less creep and a lower lb pull compared to my stock trigger.
I thought about honing my own trigger but have never done it and I want the rifle to be safe, not double tap or go full auto.
What after market triggers have you guys tried and liked ? I would like to stay under $150.00 if possible.

eldorendo
June 22, 2012, 06:38 AM
Some folks like the RRA NM trigger; others swear by JARD; I like JP Enterprises. You're going to get twenty different recommendations. How will you know which recommendation to follow? ;)

rbernie
June 22, 2012, 07:23 AM
I have used more than a dozen Jard units with complete satisfaction. I tend to get them with the 5lb spring, since their ratings are actually accurate and a 5lb spring will yield a 4lb-5lb trigger pull.

wingman
June 22, 2012, 07:28 AM
Personally I would not "hone the trigger" best to purchase an after market retain the original and if you ever want to sell rifle replace the original trigger.

I purchased a Geissele SSA-E it's prefect for my needs target shooting, Geissele is more expensive but well worth the cost,easy to install, well made and safe.While I will go low cost on some items like scopes I will not on a trigger, simply makes shooting so much more enjoyable with a an excellent feel.

velocette
June 22, 2012, 07:51 AM
I have two AR type rifles, one with a JP trigger in it, one with the Rock River two stage match trigger. Both are FAR superior to the stock AR triggers.
That said, two weeks ago, a fellow target shooter let me shoot his match AR with Geissele trigger. That trigger was superb! IMHO, better than either of my rifles triggers.
Therefore I can recommend with honesty, both the JP and the RR triggers as being very good, I can recommend with honesty the Geissele as being superb.

Roger

UtopiaTexasG19
June 22, 2012, 08:00 AM
If you plan on keeping the Ar for a long time save up the money and get a Geissele. I have the Geissele SSA-E on my AR and am glad I purchased such a fine unit. Very smooth and a crisp release.

rebs
June 22, 2012, 09:31 AM
thanks for the replies, I noticed on rock river's aite that there 2 stage is out of stock and indefinate wait. That leaves them out, I am going to look at the JP next, then timney and geisselle

Skadoosh
June 22, 2012, 10:01 AM
I have a barely used RRA 2-stage that I might be will be willing to part with. Send me a private message.

DasGuy
June 22, 2012, 10:06 AM
I would be weary to get a RRA 2-stage; they're known to have durability issues.

Skadoosh
June 22, 2012, 10:16 AM
The durability issues with the RRA 2-stage is pretty much internet myth. A quick internet search will show that there a lots of these triggers still going strong after literally thousands of pulls...

a7mmnut
June 22, 2012, 10:18 AM
JP Enterprises, hands down.

-7-

tahunua001
June 22, 2012, 10:23 AM
the two major ones are rock river and geissele(not sure I spelled that right). I dropped a rock river trigger in my AR and it pushed it into sub MOA groups. I am currently on a waiting list for an AR with a geissele trigger so I'll let you know how much I like that one.

I would be weary to get a RRA 2-stage; they're known to have durability issues.

this is pure myth. rock river arms is a medium to high tier AR manufacturer, I highly doubt that they would cut corners or release an inferior product that could harm their reputation. I don't troll the AR forums very often but when I do I have never once seen a report of a failed RRA trigger.

Microgunner
June 22, 2012, 10:24 AM
The only one I have experience with is the Timney 3#.
I know you said it's out of your budget but I believe if you can stretch the few extra bucks you won't be disappointed.

sholling
June 22, 2012, 11:36 AM
The problem with DIY AR trigger jobs is that the parts are case hardened and once you polish away even a tiny bit they wear out fast. Alternately you can send the trigger out to someone like Brimstone and he'll smooth out the trigger for something like $70 but while he has a great reputation I've had no dealings with him yet.

Rock River Arms' (RRA) 2-stage is a pretty decent trigger for a while. The problem is that they have a bad reputation for wearing out fairly quickly.

The CMMG looks interesting. They describe it as a very smooth "hard-use" (combat) trigger and say that it's designed with a 3-3.5lbs 1st stage followed by a 3-3.5lb 2nd stage for a total pull weight of 6-7lbs. Probably not a bad idea for nervous troops.

I Highly recommend a Geissele SSA trigger ($170-180). The SSA is their butter smooth 2-stage "hard-use" (combat) trigger. They come with a 2-2.5lb 1st stage and a 2-2.5lb 2nd stage for a combined weight of roughly 4-1/2lbs. and the combined pull really feels like a 2-1/2lb match trigger but has the safety of a 4.5lbs trigger. They also offer a bit lighter version for around $200 called the SSA-E.

chadio
June 22, 2012, 12:35 PM
CMC part number 91503.... I think I paid $159 @ Midway.
- single stage
- flat trigger
- 3.5 lb. pull, non-adjustable
- std size pins
- made in Texas

It is a modular, drop - in trigger group, the install was easy. Watched Bill Geissele' excellent videos on utoob regarding removal / replacement of trigger groups. The only thing with the CMC that is a bit tedious is the install of the c-clips. With a little fore-thought and technique, they went into place like butter. They are quite small and easily lost, CMC sends an extra set just in case.

Completely satisfied with the CMC , like the feel, and I must admit it (flat trigger) makes an evil black rifle look even more evil. I have to fore-warn others who shoot it for the first time, most are used to a much heavier trigger on any firearm. I tell them "don't even LEAN on it until you are on target, seriously..."

I'm not stating that the CMC is the best trigger, best brand, or best value by any means. I've only fired about 5 different AR's in my shooting career, for reference... However, I am completely satisfied and would buy the same again.

P.S.

Forgot to mention that I did have to remove my selector to get this modular trigger in place. Good opportunity to learn how to r/r the selector, so I'm ok with that.... Also, the design of this trigger means that you never have to worry about pins walking out or set screws coming loose.

10-96
June 22, 2012, 03:44 PM
I've got several of the RRA triggers and they do fine for me. I also bought a CMMG with the bronze or brass bushings out of curiosity. I really like that one. I don't know how many rounds I've launched with it- but I have a 3lb coffee can 3/4 full of .223 brass from that particular rifle, anyway- it's all been consistent and trouble free so far. It has adjustments for takeup and overtravel and with the rounds I've fired- there's been no need for re-adjustment.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=40385/Product/AR-15-GENERATION-II-DROP-IN-TRIGGER

blacksky
June 22, 2012, 04:05 PM
I also purchased a Geissele trigger, prefect for my needs! Geissele is more expensive but well worth the cost,easy to install, well made and safe.While I will go low cost on some items, I will not on a trigger, simply makes shooting so much more enjoyable with a an excellent feel and results.

pturner67
June 22, 2012, 05:42 PM
+2 to wingman...Geissele is the way to go

DnPRK
June 22, 2012, 07:15 PM
I've got Geissele's SSA on a 308 and DMR on a 223. Both have very consistent pull weights.

DeadCenter
June 22, 2012, 07:29 PM
I have both the Geissele SSA-E and RRA 2 stage triggers in different ARs and each one for the money are fine triggers. I have the Geissele in a varmint AR and the RRA in more of a tactical AR.

Palmetto-Pride
June 22, 2012, 09:12 PM
I have Timney 3# and I love it.

tobnpr
June 23, 2012, 07:59 PM
Well, if you wanna experiment, try this for ten bucks...
I've never looked back...
http://www.jprifles.com/buy.php?item=JPS3.5

I find it gives a great improvement over the stock spring...and is more than adequate for a non-competition rifle. All of our long range bolt guns have aftermarket triggers for precision, but I can't find the need drop $150 on an AR trigger when this does a great job.

timd
June 24, 2012, 05:53 PM
I bought a ACT (advanced combat trigger) from ALG for $65 and a reduced power spring kit from Wolff for $10. I now have a short single stage trigger that breaks at an average of 3.5, clean like a glass rod with no grittiness. I will duplicate this set up on my dedicated 22LR and my heavy metal 3 gun 308.

DeadCenter
June 24, 2012, 06:06 PM
Well, if you wanna experiment, try this for ten bucks...
I've never looked back...
http://www.jprifles.com/buy.php?item=JPS3.5

I find it gives a great improvement over the stock spring...and is more than adequate for a non-competition rifle. All of our long range bolt guns have aftermarket triggers for precision, but I can't find the need drop $150 on an AR trigger when this does a great job.

That plus the .50 AR trigger job http://www.junkyardgenius.com/firearms/ar-15/ar08.html does wonders to a stock heavy AR trigger with a long pull.

Edward429451
June 24, 2012, 08:46 PM
I have a RRA 2 stage match trigger in my AR. Its a huge improvement over the stock trigger. Its not real light, but breaks clean.

chadio
June 25, 2012, 11:50 AM
I'm shooting better groups with the CMC.... don't have hard numbers or pics, but it does make a difference for me. Best of luck in your search or the perfect trigger.

COSteve
June 27, 2012, 10:34 AM
I have two RRAs, both with their NM triggers and both ARs have many, many thousands of rounds through them. Neither trigger shows any sign of issues and both are still crisp and smooth. Premature wear? Internet hype.

geetarman
June 27, 2012, 11:11 AM
I have Timney triggers in all of my AR platforms. Two .223 and one .308.

The .308 trigger is quite a bit more expensive than the .223.

Not sure why that is. I also put KNS anti walk pins in all three rifles.

Geetarman:D