PDA

View Full Version : Which 5.45 ammo is and isn't corrosive?

Venom1956
June 21, 2012, 08:49 PM
I've read a bunch of thread else where on the internet but I wanna ask again here on TFL.

Which types of 5.45mm are corrosive and which ones are not?

So far I've heard/read

Silver Bear/Brown Bear
Wolf/WPA
Hornady

Are all not corrosive.

how is tulammo? :confused:

then pretty much anything in a metal spam can is corrosive and should be cleaned accordingly. Is there anything I am missing?

I just don't want something to be shot out of my gun that is corrosive and me not know about it and let it sit after a session and eat away on the poor guy.

tahunua001
June 21, 2012, 08:57 PM
a good rule of thumb is to treat it all as corrosive and clean your gun immiediately after use. even some modern production ammo(namely russian ammo) is slightly corrosive whether it's advertised as such or not.

EDIT: just re-read your post. wolf, tula, brown/silver/gold bear, and WPA are all made by the same company. all are russian made ammo that despite being advertised as non-corrosive...actually do rust your gun if you don't clean regularly.

Venom1956
June 22, 2012, 02:29 PM
I was fairly positive they all were churned out by the same place. :o

Mildly corrosive you say? compared to US ammo? :( So it requires the ol' windex treatment regardless of which ammo? Or will my standard EEZOX/ BreakFree CLP spray suffice? I just want to be sure I am taking care of it properly.

P.S. does that corrosiveness apply to their pistol rounds also? I borrowed a friend who shot some WPA 9mm thru my SR9 a while back. I just cleaned it as if it was normal ammo. :confused: I'll have to go look at it. Crap! Plus I store all my bore cleaning gear together so basically if it was corrosive it was with all my other stuff so all my brushes/pistols could have possible contact with corrosive elements? :rolleyes: Excuse me while I over-react.

Dfariswheel
June 22, 2012, 06:47 PM
"Mildly corrosive" is like "slightly pregnant".

All current commercial Russian made ammo is listed as non-corrosive, but since a fast flush with hot water is cheap, why take a chance.

Needless to say ALL surplus 5.45x39 ammo is corrosive whether it's Soviet, Polish, or Bulgarian.

tahunua001
June 22, 2012, 06:49 PM
it's not as bad as you would think from all the hype you hear on the internet and no it's not as bad as the old surplus. you shouldn't need to take any extra steps for cleaning, just remember to do it shortly after firing. it would be wise to treat their handgun ammo the same as rifle ammo. even american ammo is slightly corrosive even the air is corrosive to a degree(even moreso on the coasts) but as long as you don't don't leave your gun dirty for a long period of time you may never get rust. standard CLP is more than enough precaution.

raftman
June 22, 2012, 07:12 PM
Mildly corrosive you say? compared to US ammo? So it requires the ol' windex treatment regardless of which ammo? Or will my standard EEZOX/ BreakFree CLP spray suffice? I just want to be sure I am taking care of it properly.

Honestly, I would not stress about the commercial Russian (Wolf, Bear, Tulammo) stuff. I actually have left an AK or two for weeks after firing the Russian commercial non-corrosive stuff and haven't found any sign of rust whatsoever. Not that I suggest you do that, just that to me it has sometimes felt like a waste of timing cleaning an AK after firing only 100 rounds of non-corrosive ammo.

As far as cleaning after Russian commercial ammo goes, the windex or water treatment is unnecessary, cleaning as if non-corrosive will definitely be just fine.

Mobuck
June 22, 2012, 09:41 PM
current production russian ammo is corrosive????????????
I've shot several brands of ruskie steel cased commercial ammo(Wolf, Silver Bear, and ?????) w/o ever doing a "corrosive ammo cleanup" and never had a problem.
My 5.45 AR gets a couple of passes with a boresnake and a few drops of CLP and there's no rust in/on it.

Hairbag
June 22, 2012, 11:04 PM
I use the golden bear for range fodder in my ak74 and 47 with no problem. I stock pile the russian surplus corrosive stuff for a "rainy" day which is sealed in spam cans. The golden bear and silver bear works pretty good and its not corrosive. I think its the best way to go. Golden bear/silver bear for practice and military corrosive stuff for stockpile.

Venom1956
June 22, 2012, 11:28 PM
See this is why I am so puzzled I have many saying commercial russian ammo is fine, then others that say maybe. :confused:

I'm pretty sure I'm with the "non-corrosive" camp my guns rarely sit for more then a day after a range session. So I'm not to worried.

Dfariswheel
June 23, 2012, 06:31 PM
This comes down to who do you trust: the Russian ammo makers who say their commercial primers are non-corrosive, or people who claim they are corrosive.

There's one simple test you can do to decide for yourself.

Get some new, bare steel sheet metal and clean it thoroughly with solvents to remove any oils.
Get two rifles. One your 5.45 and another in any American caliber.
Get a round of the Russian commercial ammo and one round of an American made commercial cartridge.
Pull the bullets and dump the powder.

With the muzzle of the 5.45 gun close to the steel sheet fire the primer at the plate.
Repeat with the other gun and cartridge on another plate.
Observe the plates and see how they rust.
A plate that's had a corrosive primer fired at it will rust faster and worse.

If you have a corrosive primed cartridge handy, do a third sheet with it to act as a control.

raftman
June 24, 2012, 03:30 AM
This comes down to who do you trust: the Russian ammo makers who say their commercial primers are non-corrosive, or people who claim they are corrosive.

Lets not forget the people who have tried the stuff extensively and treated it as non-corrosive and have not had any remotely adverse results. There seems to be a number of us in this very thread.

How many people have actually shot the stuff, treated it as non-corrosive and had their guns rust out? Or is it that some folks simply assume it may be corrosive simply because they don't trust dem Rooskies?

Mobuck
June 24, 2012, 06:44 AM
I've used Russian commercial ammo at some level for the last 12-15 years since that's about how long I've had an SKS around here. Over the last 5-6 years, I've used Brown Bear, Silver Bear, Golden Bear, Wolf, and something else I don't recall in 7.62/5.45x39,9mm, and .223. Never had any ammo related corrosion.
I'm not recommending the use of European produced ammo for the most part but it does fit a niche in the market.
Use your own judgement and clean as you feel prudent.

MikeGunz
June 24, 2012, 05:04 PM
I didnt clean my sgl-31 for a couple weeks after shooting about 90 rds of 7n6 for a little experiment. Cleaned it yesterday there was a little rust in the gas tube,little on the trigger, and little bit on the magazine release spring. Some tender care and some CPL and she was brand new. Corrosive ammo has a bad rep its no THAT bad for your gun. Just dont shoot a tin then leave it in a humid climate like South Carolina for a month.

Sinlessorrow
June 24, 2012, 05:06 PM
There has been a lot of threads lately on ar15.com about wolf and a few other comblock ammo that states non-corrosive actually being corrosive. Treat all commie ammo as if its corrosive cause chances are it is.

raftman
June 24, 2012, 06:34 PM
Treat all commie ammo as if its corrosive cause chances are it is.

Very well... I will question all of my ammunition as to its political affiliation, if it confesses to any any far-left leanings, I will assume it is corrosive.

Otherwise, I will continue to do what I've always done and never had any problems with.