PDA

View Full Version : Precision Firearms AR Custom Build

Shane Tuttle
June 18, 2012, 09:21 AM
I might be looking into adding an AR-15 to the collection. Mainly for the better half. Purpose will be for 100 yard plinking and a strong consideration to use as home defense. She can hold her own with handguns, but is becoming very proficient with rifles in general.

I know very little about ARs, so I'm a bit lost from the get go. She's been very interested in the AR platform long before their poplularity exploded in recent years.

I have an oppurtunity to get in on Precsion Firearms' military group buy for their EL Custom Rifle. Here's the features to be provided by them:

PF Forged Lower matched to PF Forged M4 Upper
Precision Firearms 1-8 Barrel Stainless Black Nitrided 16 inch Carbine
A2 Flash Hider
PF Carrier Group
Hogue Grip
Mapgul MOE Stock
Magpul MOE Handguard Carbine
Milspec Stock Kit
MOE Trigger Guard
Milspec Type Trigger parts
Milspec Charging handle
PF Gas Single Plain Gas Block
Magpul MBUS Sights
2 Magpul Mags (20 round if shipped to MD)
1 Black Tactical Case

Is there anything here that's not worth having and expect to change out in the future?
Due to the company I work for is the parent company of EOTech, I'm looking to buy a scope from them.
Anything worth looking into to add after buying?

DnPRK
June 19, 2012, 02:06 PM
I would consider a Geissele SSA 2 stage trigger or a JP single stage trigger and Troy folding sights instead of the plastic Mbus.

Also, addition of a moderately priced red dot sight such as Primary Arms M3 or microdot increases the enjoyment of a plinking session for those who don't shoot often.

It will likely become her favorite rifle. :D

madcratebuilder
June 20, 2012, 06:18 AM
PF builds a good AR, they seem to be proud of them price wise. You could buy a PSA M4gery, have a FN barrel, fully tested BCG and money to buy accessories.

Shane Tuttle
June 20, 2012, 05:30 PM
Their price is hovering around the $950 mark for all of the above. Would I still be able to buy all that you listed, madcrate?

The Geissele trigger is something I'm considering later down the line if it becomes her new favorite rifle. I heard good things about the quality in their triggers.

Bartholomew Roberts
June 20, 2012, 06:09 PM
$950 gives you a lot of options in the AR world. Smith & Wesson has some excellent values available and offers nitrided barrels standard on even their cheap $600 Sport models. In fact, Google says there were 18 stores offering the S&W M&P15 Mid Magpul at $980, which is comparable to the rifle you are discussing here; but with a midlength gas system and fixed front sight.

However, for a good get-acquainted rifle, I don't think that is a bad deal for those features. Not familiar with the company; but there are so many people making ARs these days it is hard to keep up with all of them.

One thing I might suggest is a lightweight (pencil) barrel and MAYBE a good muzzle brake. A fair amount of weight in the M4 is in the barrel, so the lightweight barrel makes it much easier to handle, particularly for smaller statured people or people with less upper body strength.

On the muzzle brake, the nice thing about them is that they make shooting .223 like shooting a toy, you can literally watch the impact through a 3.5x scope because there is so little recoil. The flipside is that they tend to make the muzzle blast more prominent, which is often more of an issue for shooters than .223 recoil, and they may increase flash and noise inside, which is probably not desirable for home defense.

There are muzzle brakes that reduce flash, provide good recoil control, and don't enhance the blast; but they start at around $150 (Battlecomp) and go up from there (KAC Triple Tap). If she has a good stance, she can get by without the muzzle brake OK. My thought was that it might help counteract some of the lost weight in the barrel.

madcratebuilder
June 21, 2012, 07:58 AM
Their price is hovering around the $950 mark for all of the above. Would I still be able to buy all that you listed, madcrate?

That's a good price for that PF model. You could beat it by a few dollars doing a build but you give up any warranty with a build.

The problem today is finding anything in stock. It going to be like this for awhile. Sales are a all time high and no sign of them slowing down.

Shane Tuttle
June 21, 2012, 06:02 PM
I don't mind going higher on the price tag as long as it's justifiable. I thought with their group buy going on it seems to be a good package deal to get into the realm of ARs and my wife would have a quality product for the money.

Not sure if she'd like the lightweight barrel. She can hold her own and our range sessions tend to go for a few hours without her fatiguing much. With that, I'm concerned with having to wait often for the barrel to cool. She'd like the muzzle brake without a doubt. No so much for the taming of recoil as the flash...as long as it's easy to remove/install.

It's definitely an "order" item, madcrate. We're patient. Took 3 years for her Buck Mark Hunter to come in. Worth the wait if you ask me. I don't want our first AR to be one I built. I'd rather start with one completed by a company and gain experience from there. One day, though...

madcratebuilder
June 22, 2012, 06:20 AM
I don't want our first AR to be one I built. I'd rather start with one completed by a company and gain experience from there.

Good plan. That's what I tell people asking me about buying or building there first AR. Buy one, learn about it by maintaining it. After you have spent a year with it, then you can build and have abetter idea of just what configuration you really want.

There is so much different stuff on the AR market it can be mind numbing.