PDA

View Full Version : Building an AR 15

BillyG
June 16, 2012, 03:37 PM
I've only had my Sportical a couple months...and Im wanting to build one....after I get the Garand. Crazy maybe, but I look at it as just 'reinvesting' my kids inheritance...lol. After IM gone, they can either keep or 'cash it in'.

I'd like to start from scratch, with a stripped upper. My question is about headspace...and I'll give an example that hopefully ya'll can read my mind on..

If I buy a ABC upper receiver (stripped), and a barrel from BCM, and a BCG from DPMS....would I have or what would be any problems with headspace? How would I go about correcting?

Thanks in advance,
Billy G

zoomie
June 16, 2012, 03:43 PM
Buy a bolt and barrel combo from a reputable manufacturer and it's already set for you.

DeadCenter
June 16, 2012, 05:16 PM
^^^^
What he said. I'd definitely get a matched barrel and bolt.

madcratebuilder
June 17, 2012, 06:57 AM
If I buy a ABC upper receiver (stripped), and a barrel from BCM, and a BCG from DPMS....would I have or what would be any problems with headspace? How would I go about correcting?

With a new barrel and new bolt you don't need to worry about head space.

eldorendo
June 17, 2012, 07:01 AM
Buy a barrel from any reputable manufacturer and the headspace is already set. OF COURSE it'll be set if you buy a barrel and matching bolt. However, if you just buy a barrel and bolt that doesn't proclaim that it's "matched", even from the same manufacturer, you won't have any different setup than if you bought from different manufacturers.

Suppose the headspace isn't correct?? How would you go about correcting it? Inquiring minds want to know!!:cool:

Mobuck
June 17, 2012, 04:50 PM
how would you go about correcting it?
I'd reach into my parts box and pull out another spare bolt and check it. If I still wasn't satisfied, I'd do it over and over until I got a combo that suited me.
Doesn't eveyone have a big box of spares including bolts, carriers, firing pins, springs, and such?????????????????