PDA

View Full Version : Ruger 10/22 best .22LR on the Market?

jrmoney
June 15, 2012, 05:30 AM
I love my Ruger 10/22, but my question is there another .22 rifle that can compete with it? Including price, reliablility, and availablility of parts? I am always looking to add great rifles to my collection, so let me know what you all think.

https://www.youtube.com/user/jstreamnc

JRMONEY

jmr40
June 15, 2012, 05:52 AM
If you consider everything I'd say the 10-22 is the best all around 22 you could buy. They are not the best at any single thing, except maybe reliability, but overall they are hard to beat.

10Ringmagic
June 15, 2012, 06:32 AM
I like them a lot also.

I would venture to say that there is more aftermarket parts and accessories available for them, than any other brand of .22lr semi-auto.

zincwarrior
June 15, 2012, 06:44 AM
If you like aftermarket, yes indeed. If you like accuracy and a good trigger already in the rifle, there are better rifles out there.

Hawg
June 15, 2012, 07:34 AM
The Ruger is the most customizable rifle out there. It's also the least accurate rifle out of the box there is. If you want to spend a bunch of bucks on a one of a kind rifle that will shoot with a Marlin Model 60 after you're done with it then by all means go for it. If you want a rifle that's out of the box accurate and you don't care about all the add ons then get a Marlin Model 60.

Rifleman1776
June 15, 2012, 07:58 AM
"best" is difficult to define.
By the criteria you set, price, reliability, etc., I would say "Yes" by a big margin.
Others might look for beautiful wood, cutomized features, polished bolt, Olympic grade accuracy, etc.
My ill treated 10/22 has been serving me reliably for 35 years.

Rogervzv
June 15, 2012, 09:15 AM
I have always considered the 10/22 to be a beautiful piece of industrial art. Solid, ergonomic, reliable, pretty accurate shooter and possessed of cool clean lines that impart a subtle beauty. There are a lot of 22s out there and many are also very good. But the 10/22 has stood the test of time. I have four of them if that says anything. :cool:

CCCLVII
June 15, 2012, 09:17 AM
the 10/22 is the all american plinking gun. If you dont have one you are not american enough. :eek:

a little kidding there

Art Eatman
June 15, 2012, 09:30 AM
No such thing as "best" in firearms. Not at all. Some are better for a given purpose than others.

The 10/22 is a good little rifle. If a person is into customizing, all well and good, but that may mean nothing at all to another person.

Since the only fair comparison for performance is "as issue", out of the box, the 10/22 falls below some others insofar as target accuracy--if target accuracy is the criterion. As usual, "if". If "fun gun" is the criterion, they rank high on the list. :)

MikeGunz
June 15, 2012, 09:37 AM
I love my 10/22 when ever I go shooting it comes out with me. I ill shoot an entire brick and not get bored of it, while not breaking the bank

essohbe
June 15, 2012, 09:56 AM
The one thing a 10-22 needs changed is the factory extractor.

Other than that, I put a .920 barrel on mine with the adjustable V-block (barrel block) so it doesn't suffer "droop" and I got a 1MOA .22lr rifle now!

aarondhgraham
June 15, 2012, 10:06 AM
Many years ago I read an article about out-of-the-box accuracy of modern .22 rifles,,,
The ruger 10-22 ranked near the bottom.

it is the rifle with the most aftermarket parts,,,
And can be made into a very accurate rifle,,,
But only by replacing all major parts.

The word Best does not apply at all,,,
Maybe favorite is a more precise term.

For out of the box accuracy and general performance,,,
I will put a Marlin Model 60 or my Mossberg 702 against any 10-22 ever delivered.

Not ragging the Ruger 10-22,,,
Just not buying into the popular myth.

Aarond

zincwarrior
June 15, 2012, 10:45 AM
Agreed there are other auto loading .22s substantially more accurate and/or better triggers than the 10/22 at the same price point. Some prefer that. Others prefer the "build to suit" nature of a 10/22 with all the aftermarket goodies.

If you like to personalize your rifle the 10/22 is your go to. If you prefer something more accurate or better trigger out of the box, then other options are for you.

Scorch
June 15, 2012, 11:17 AM
The 10/22 does have some very nice features that have helped its popularity:
* 10-round detachable magazine that does not protrude right at the center of balance, so you can still carry the gun one-handed. I know, 10 rounds seems like common sense (being there are 50 rounds in a box of 22LRs), but there are/were a lot of rifles with 5, 7, and 9 round detachable magazines.

* Detachable magazines makes volume shooting lots of fun, reloading is easy and will not stop the action. And you can make the argument that it is possibly safer than a tube-fed magazine that can be pointed at your head or foot while reloading it.

* Simple to load and operate, with no special parts that tend to get lost.

* Sized large enough that an adult can shoot it. Many 22s are not.

* Quality made, not all stampings, plastic or sheet metal.

oneounceload
June 15, 2012, 03:03 PM
There are MANY 22 rifles out there that are better functioning, more accurate, and more reliable than the Ruger - even the Marlin Model 60 is better.

What the Ruger has going for it is that it is Jeep CJ of the 22 world and everyone's grandmother makes something aftermarket for it that Ruger doesn't seem interested in installing in the first place.

Everytime I read about someone's tack-driving 10/22, you then find out how they replaced the stock, the barrel, the trigger group, in short everything except the aluminum receiver shell - and by the time you go that route, you might as well have gone for the Anschutz

THORN74
June 15, 2012, 08:31 PM
In price, reliability, and accuracy, I would stack my marlin 795 up against any 10/22..... its cheaper, equally reliable, and more accurate IMO...... the accessories route the 10/22 wins hands down

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2

Bamashooter
June 16, 2012, 12:03 AM
I have 2 and both are excellent shooters. Will they put 10 shots in one ragged hole? Nope. Neither will my cheap pot metal 702 plinkster that I bought for the kids. I dont really care what some biased article said 10 yrs ago. Nor do I care what the haters say. There is alot more to good groups than the rifle. Some folks can shoot and some folks think they can. For the money I dont think there is a better rifle out there. As I found out when I bought that POS mossberg, you get what you pay for. I will stick with my Rugers.

jimmythegeek
June 16, 2012, 02:53 AM
And it's a recent one, a Remarlin. I didn't care too much for the feel of the Ruger, so I stuck with the Marlin.

I have only shot the Ruger once, it was plenty accurate. I just didn't see anything better about it than my Marlin, which was a little more than half the cost. I did put a scope on it, and later Tech Sights.

There are plenty of aftermarket stocks and stuff you can do with a Marlin. Some of it requires a good deal of work...

Regolith
June 16, 2012, 03:07 AM
If I want to blast a lot of ammo, I pull out the 10/22.

If I want something DRT, I pull out my ancient bolt action Stevens Model 66-B, because that thing is like a laser in my hands.

So, while the 10/22 is a great plinking gun, I don't think it's the best all around, at all, at least not without serious modifications.

loose_holster_dan
June 16, 2012, 10:35 AM
i'm with hawg. my model 60 is dead nutz accurate and reliable, but you can't really get all the aftermarket you can for the 10/22. also, it's tube fed, so you can't have spare mags ready to go. i haven't shot my 10/22 much to know how often it needs to be cleaned, but i'll go thru a couple of those bricks of cheap 22 (1000 rounds total) before my action starts to gum up enough for me to have to clean it. my model 60 is for sale if you are interested :D

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=487146

Buzzcook
June 16, 2012, 12:27 PM
For an relatively inexpensive semi-auto .22 the 10/22 is pretty darn good.

I prefer the Marlin 60 for a couple reasons. I like the tube magazine and I think it's easer to shoot.

If your looking for "great" rifles, then look up the price ladder.

I recently got a Remington Model 552 Speedmaster imho it is a better quality rifle than either gun.

A used one will be priced in the range of a new 10/22

Don't think there are a lot of mods for it though.

GaryH
June 16, 2012, 01:33 PM
I have a Marlin 60, Ruger 10/22 and Remington 597 autoloaders. I like the the removable magazines of the Ruger and Remington better than the tube on the Marlin when at the range. In the field I like the tube mag better. I feel the Marlin is the most accurate, followed by the Remington (until it gets hot) and then the Ruger. However, the Ruger is just plain fun to shoot. Never a problem of any kind since I slicked it up on the inside a bit. It shoots dirty with no trouble unlike my others, but neither of them have been worked on to optimize the mechanism.

If I were going to have only one, the Marlin model 60 would be my choice. The Marlin model 795 w/removable mag might be worth looking into.

checkmyswag
June 16, 2012, 01:36 PM
The Ruger is great. The Marlin is good. I'm not into the Remingtons at all.

Not saying its the most accurate. But I like its controls, how it feels and its fun factor the most.

smitherians
June 16, 2012, 05:56 PM
here's what I think

If you want an out of the box good accurate rifle, go with a marlin 60/795. They are essentially the same rifle with different lowers.

If you want a rifle that you can customize and get 25 round mags for go with the ruger. I don't own one but I've heard marlins are more accurate than rugers out of the box.

Fishing_Cabin
June 16, 2012, 06:37 PM
I will give another vote towards the Marlin 60, and its brothers, both tube and box mag rifles. They are economical, accurate, and last forever it seems. Or at least with normal wear, I have never had a problem. I have one 60 thats older then I am by a few years, and a bolt action marlin from the 50's or so. Never any trouble with them at all.

The only issue I do know for some folks is there isnt a huge amount of aftermarket stuff that some folks like to put on a firearm.

PH/CIB
June 17, 2012, 12:15 PM
The 10/22 is a great rifle. I have one with a laminated stock and stainless barrel, one with a regular stock and stainless barrel and two with custom stocks and heavy barrels. However that does not mean I don't like or enjoy my Marlin, Mossberg, CZ, 22 rifles for example and someday I will buy a Thompson Center.

My favorite 22 rifle is the Browning semi auto and the old no longer manufactured Winchesters and Remingons.

bulldawg1024
June 17, 2012, 12:25 PM
I have a ruger 10/22 and love it. I also have a S&W ar22 and it is awesome. Not sure which one I like better at this point.

rivertamer
June 17, 2012, 08:11 PM
Relatively speaking it is great.... For the money.
But my SW 15-22 and my Sig p522 run great and are just as accurate as my Ruger..... They just look cooler and are great practice for shooting my ar15 .... On a budget. Lol

Sent from my tricked out Synergy Evo!

Kevin5.56
June 18, 2012, 04:17 AM
I second the S&W 15-22. Great gun, especially to familiarize new or younger shooters with the AR platform for later when 22LR becomes a little mundane and they want to step it up a bit

zincwarrior
June 18, 2012, 06:48 AM
I dont really care what some biased article said 10 yrs ago. Nor do I care what the haters say.
Haters? I am disappoint.
:(

There is alot more to good groups than the rifle. Some folks can shoot and some folks think they can.
I guess thats a true statement. :confused:

For the money I dont think there is a better rifle out there. As I found out when I bought that POS mossberg, you get what you pay for. I will stick with my Rugers.
I am glad you like your Rugers. I have a few myself.

jmstr
June 21, 2012, 12:54 PM
I appreciate the 10/22 for all the fun stuff you can do with it. You can buy aftermarket barrels to make it as good as the micro-groove barrels in the Marlin .22lr rifles [60/795/70s], or possibly better. You can improve the trigger beyond the Marlin trigger [I am not saying the Marlin trigger is great, but it works fine for me]. You can change the stock to an AR-15 type, a Dragunov type, or a bunch of other types of stocks on the 10/22. Heck, you can buy 2 10/22s and make a mini-gatling gun from them!

Or, you can buy a Marlin for less money than the 10/22 and have an advantage in potential accuracy out of the box.

Some love the detachable magazines for .22lr rifles. If it is a field/carry gun, I prefer not to have a mag stick out below the stock itself, so I like the tube-fed Marlins better.

I also live in California. As such, I can only run a 10-round magazine in the 10/22. However my Marlin Model 60 and my Marlin Model 39a both hold at least 14 rounds, and I think one holds 16 or 17 rounds. That is legal in a tube-fed rifle here. I would go to jail for a 14-round detachable magazine.

Best? For me it isn't a Ruger.

Don't get me wrong. I love Ruger products. I have 5 ruger pistols. That is 2 more than any other company's products I own. That is how much I like them. But, I don't use rifles as much. So I have my family pass-down rifles and the 2 .22lr I bought: both Marlins.

To qualify a rifle as 'best', the specific mission/role of the rifle needs to be identified. Cheapest? Most Accurate? Most customizable? Easiest to carry in the field? Most Reliable? Fewest moving parts? Most accessories available? Highest resale value? Most sales made?

Being limited to 10 rounds I see no reason for a 10/22 for myself or any of my friends.

I do appreciate the speed at which you can reload a magazine-fed rifle, but I will be using a Saiga .308 or some other magazine-fed rifle in a fire-fight: not a .22lr weapon.

But, for range fun I do use a speedloader for my Marlins: Spee-D-Loader (http://www.spee-d-loader.net/Loaders.html)

a7mmnut
June 21, 2012, 04:26 PM
No thanks. Never liked them, never will. Grips and groups are both too big. Marlin or Savage for me. If you want nice, get a Kimber. My favorite is actually an Ithaca Model 72 Saddlegun.

-7-